Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TPM DVD

Page: 1 of 1
 Hannibal
04-19-2000, 5:01 PM
Apparently Lucas has changed his mind and the DVD is suppose to be out by Christmas 2001. I read this on TheForce.net. Hopefully its true. By christmas 2001 I may not even own a VCR anymore. It may have gone the way of the 8track.
 84Elan
04-19-2000, 8:08 PM
I hope that this is true but many rumors have been going around about the DVD release. As for the VCR just look at audio tapes they have lasted the test of time so too will VHS.
 RogueOne
04-20-2000, 1:27 AM
Actually, in an official announcment from Lucasfilm, they are working on TPM DVD. They say it will be out first quarter 2001.

------------------
Fear, fear attracts the fearfull; the strong, the weak, the insolent. Fear, fear is my ally - Darth Maul
 Argath
04-20-2000, 1:33 AM
Until recordable DVD becomes a widespread format, VHS will be around. CD's and DVD's are vastly superior to cassettes and VHS tapes, but tapes allow easy recording and erasure. For commercial products, I no longer purchase VHS or cassette tapes, but both formats are still required for easy recording.
 Hannibal
04-20-2000, 5:36 PM
They way technology advances it won't be long before there are recordable DVD's. Then when we get use to that there will be something to replace that.
 Argath
04-20-2000, 6:04 PM
Recordable and rewritable CD's have been around for years, yet they haven't replaced cassette tapes. Optically recording to a disk with a laser requires the media to remain relatively stable, which limits the effectiveness of CD and DVD as recordable formats.

Magnetically recordable media doesn't suffer from these drawbacks and will continue to be popular even after recordable DVD becomes widespread. Digital VCR's will eventually take the place of our current hardware, allowing greater quality recordings, but i wouldn't expect either format to take the place of the other.
 Hannibal
04-21-2000, 4:25 PM
Because of the quick advancement of technology I'm sure we will slowly see audio tapes fade further to the background. Perhaps it'll be replaced by minidiscs.
 darth_maul_87
04-29-2000, 12:58 AM
I doesn't seem like Lucas would change his mind so quickly. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/confused.gif)

------------------
Fear...
Fear attracts the fearful...
The strong...
The weak...
Fear...
Fear is my ally.

[img]http://www.starwars.com/characters/darth_maul/2_bg.html[img])
 Conor
04-29-2000, 2:48 AM
More money sooner...but that may not be his motivation. He could always just be responding to popular demand and releasing it to be a nice guy. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)

------------------
"First, that human beings, all over the earth, have this curious idea that they ought to behave in a certain way, and cannot really get rid of it. Secondly, that they do not in fact behave in that way. They know the Law of Nature; they break it. These two facts are the foundation of all clear thinking about ourselves and the universe we live in."
-C.S. Lewis
 deadwood
04-30-2000, 8:20 AM
He has probably realised that everyone who's going to buy the movie would have bought it by after christmas 2000. Therefore, he can now release the DVD knowing that he would have got 100% of the market buying the VHS and now he will get almost 100% of the DVD market buying the DVD Version.

Thus Lucas is milking out a lot more money then what he would have had he released the DVD in April. I think he owes it to the people who went out and bought the crappy VHS to give them a cashback offer.

Also he went cheapo with the Phantom Menace soundtrack. He didn't include all of the tunes. This was because the CD was full, but he should've put another CD to play the songs that wasn't in there. On that second CD he also could've put the video clip to Duel of fates. But then again its less money for him, if he did all of this stuff.

If I didn't know any better, I would say my intelligence is being insulted and we're being taken advantage of.
 ysalamiri
05-01-2000, 12:30 AM
Hey, I want the Phantom Menace on DVD as much as the next guy, but how about the original trilogy?? There's no excuse for that not being on DVD by now....
Page: 1 of 1