Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Outcast system alternative

Page: 1 of 1
 Saoidh
05-06-2002, 1:28 AM
I was skimming through the various swg boards and forums and I came acorss a thread concerning the outcast system at the stratics site. I have to warn you that I do NOT endorse pking but I do believe that it should be less restricted than the current outcast system allows. The current system is meant to stop "griefers" who make it their job to annoy other players by killing them. However, what happens when this no longer becomes a possibility? Surely "griefers" will find another way to annoy people ....ie... emoting someone to the point of insanity while dancing circles around them. Sure you can report them...but why should we have to stop what we are doing.... in other words the "griefer" wins. I would much rather whip out my blaster/lightsaber and end it right there. In addition the continuity of swg is hurt to a degree by the presence of such a harsh system. It's supposedc to be a lawless time. A plausable alternative to the current outcast system could be...A limited # of kills per time limit....ie one kill per 2 hours or so....after which the outcast system should be implicated. This alternative would give players more freedom to deal with "griefers" and allow for a greater degree of continuity to be present within swg. In fact a Jedi who sat idealy by and watched a bunch of mauraders slaughtering poor little emoks should not deserve the title. Now that I have jabberd on for far too long....what does eveyone else thing? And more importantly will the developers listen??
 MikeC
05-06-2002, 2:18 AM
I'll answer the 2nd question first. No, they won't listen on this. They are probably too far along to make that change and they have really stuck to their guns on the outcast system so far.

On to the method itself. I can't say I'm crazy about it. You leave griefers wide open. It only slows them down slightly. Also, what do you do if you get into a large battle and want to kill more than that?
 MikeC
05-06-2002, 2:19 AM
Oh, and welcome! :)
 qibbish
05-07-2002, 6:43 AM
2 quickies:

1) PK *is* griefing. the definition of this word is unconsentual killing of a player. If you want to kill, do it consentually (i.e. attack declared faction memeberS).

2) we also have a '/ignore' command which can be used to take care of your first example.
 arguile
05-07-2002, 7:24 PM
i havent heard about this outcast system. how does it work?
 MikeC
05-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Short version - if you kill someone who is not your declared enemy they can have you "outcast" and you will not be able to initiate any PvP combat (you have to be attacked first). You can have the outcast removed totally if the person officially forgives you. You can also have player run cities give you amnesty, but its only good inside of their jurisdiction.
 arguile
05-07-2002, 10:48 PM
ewww...bad) news for the trigger happy...
 MikeC
05-07-2002, 11:11 PM
You can still be plenty trigger happy. You just have to be a little more careful about your aim! :p

Any declared enemies are still open to attack. That includes members of opposing factions and members of PAs your PA is at war with.
 Wraith 8
05-08-2002, 6:51 AM
another reason to stay neutral :D
 Crazy_dog no.3
05-08-2002, 2:33 PM
Nah outcast is better cause soppose u are a rebel making a last stand and Imp pC are coming at u.

So much for fast-paced action.
 Gaalgoth
05-08-2002, 2:48 PM
I agree with dog. Outcast system is better. The only possible reform I could make would be for teh outcast period to have a limited time limit, like say 3 days. maybe longer, but not make it forever.
 MikeC
05-08-2002, 8:25 PM
I think it should be much longer than 3 days. That's not much of a penalty.
 arguile
05-09-2002, 12:37 AM
i dunno, maybe a week tops...three days is kinda short, but this game costs the money so...maybe some other punishments could be in order...

if i was a mayor and some dude was playin serial killer id have a bounty out on him so fast his helmet would spin.

as long as its a fair fight, random PvP doesnt seem to bad to me. i think its really pretty funny that you cant see others stats so if you run up to some dude and try to start somethin, he may whip you down.

its when merchants get attacked that problems start but thats all part of the universe. put up a bounty, thats what its there for. make your mission say: bring me this punks stuff, get back my property+a little extra...

so my take, make the outcasting minimal, and lets make some more interesting repercussions ourselves >devilish grin<
Page: 1 of 1