Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PSX Dark Forces...

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
06-14-2000, 3:55 PM
In another post somebody said that they "heard DF PSX sucked." I replied, but I should add this (and to anyone else who interested to hear).

I've played it, and I will say there are a few differences between it and the PC version.

First off, it looks alot better on a TV than a monitor. ; )

Second, you can't use addons (as I mentioned before).

Gameplay is the same, however, since the PSX controller is lacking in buttons, you have a button that cycles through your weapons, so whipping out a specific gun is a bit slower, plus there is no seperate key for secondary fire, you hold a "toggle" switch while hitting normal fire to use it.

But you can fully configure the controls, so that's fine. Plus you don't get the "shield on/off" in the options menu (you lousy cheaters!).

However, using Gold Finger, there are plenty of cheats you can use like level select, weapons etc. But you must enable the cheats before the game begins. Not sure if there are button codes to do cheats in game or not...

Also, the music sounds much better on the PSX (especially in stereo) version.

Other than that, apart from some of the menu buttons (and an additional crappy loading screen) looking slightly different, it is identical to the PC version. It doesn't "suck" at all.

I noticed that the current version of bleem! doesn't yet support this game.

Jedi Power Battles for the PSX.. rather disapointing. The game doesn't feel finished. If the game wasn't SW, it would be just okay. Doesn't live up to the name or the hype unfortunately. Maybe the DC version?

And also I've played Masters of Teras Kesai as well. It's not the best of it's kind, but it doesn't suck either. As a Star Wars game it makes no sense (good guys fight good guys, bad guys fight bad guys, weapons don't do realistic damage by any measure, etc), but it's alright, and the graphics are kind of cool. Basically a 3D fighter in the same vein as Soul-Blade (though not as good), just with SW characters and weapons.

Kurgan
 Darth Pie
06-15-2000, 7:39 PM
Yeah I feel the same way about JPB. Maybe they could improve some on the DC version. I've also heard rumors of a PC version of JPB, are they at all true??

------------------
" If you only knew the POWER of pie! "
 84Elan
06-18-2000, 1:44 PM
Hey Kurgan that was me that said I heard it sucked for PSX I loved the PC version except for the damn jumping in the sewers other than that the game was sweet. Like I have said before I am new to PS and I have $125 dollars in Funcoland store credit(from trading in my 64) burning a hole in my pocket so I may go pick it up. Thanks for taking the time to set me straight on DF for PSX.

Any other good games that I should know about like that sword fighting game you talked about Bushien Blade or something? Is it good?

Thanks

D.

[This message has been edited by 84Elan (edited June 18, 2000).]
 Kurgan
06-18-2000, 2:59 PM
I have never played the original Bushido Blade, but I hear some fans prefer it to the sequel.

Bushido Blade 2 for PSX is probably the BEST sword fighting video game I've ever played, period. I would highly recommend it.

Kurgan
 84Elan
06-18-2000, 3:34 PM
Thanks, I shall pick up the two next trip to the store.

Hey Kurgan I read were the Frame Rate on DF for PS really was bad is this a problem or just a isolated problem?

[This message has been edited by 84Elan (edited June 19, 2000).]
 84Elan
06-19-2000, 7:05 PM
I know I asked Kurgan But really anyone who has played DF for PS is there a Frame rate problem or is it no more than any other game? I have played and loved the PC version and would like to try the PS version.
 Kurgan
06-22-2000, 1:18 AM
None that I can tell. Maybe there is, but it's so slight, it isn't easily detectable. I have not played every inch of the game from start to finish, so it is entirely possible that at in some major battles (with blasters and explosions flying everywhere) that it slows down, who knows...

You have to see and judge for yourself.

It's good enough, the main problem is the controls, but it isn't that big of an issue. You'll get used to it after awhile.

Let me put it this way.. if you don't have Dark Forces, this is a fine version to have.

I don't think bleem! yet supports it (that's what the latest demo version says anyhow).

If you already have the PC or Mac version, there's no reason to bother.

Kurgan
 deadwood
06-23-2000, 1:03 PM
I own the Australian version of Dark Forces for PSX and I can tell you that I have absolutely no problems with frame rates. It is a very smooth game.

However, the game is pixelated, but I think this is due to the actual playstation hardware.

The sad part is that I can't seem to get past the last level. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif) I stopped playing it about 5 months ago because I was so sick of the last level.
 Kurgan
06-23-2000, 7:00 PM
I cursed the lack of mid-level save on that level.. I just wish you could at least save right before the final battle. ; P

Yeah, well the DOS version is pixelated as well, so get used to it.

Kurgan
Page: 1 of 1