Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars Fan Sites

Page: 1 of 1
 Old Ben Kenobi
03-17-2000, 3:55 PM
Lately there's been the big hubub about the free webspace starwars.com is offering. Sounds like an awesome deal, but is it really? Has anyone actually read the disclaimer? Once you post your website there, it becomes property of Lucasfilm, Ltd. I'd be wary of this seemingly great deal. Wouldn't post artwork of any sort. Lucasfilm could use it and not owe you a penny. They could shut down your site, without notice. Sure, you could make a new one, but you couldn't use the same site you had before. The old one belongs to Lucasfilm, and you can't have it back.

A good deal for fans? Maybe some, but for most of us interested in creating a fansite, I'd steer clear of fan.starwars.com offer.

------------------
kultx@home.com
Old Ben Kenobi

"If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

[This message has been edited by Old Ben Kenobi (edited March 17, 2000).]
 Tycho_Celchu
03-18-2000, 2:33 AM
I've been thinking about this, and there seems to be a way around it...

If you use the fan site as a main page, but only link to other stuff you have done, outside of the fan.starwars.com sites, I don't think it counts as the property of Lucasfilm.

Practical, no, but it is a way around the problem, if you just have to have a site at fan.starwars.com.
 LDB_modeski
03-19-2000, 6:50 AM
Personally, I would stay well clear of using the Lucasarts site to host your page. Take the autobiography of the gy who played Darth Vader (got I can't believe I've forgotton his name!!!) -he had to sign a deal with Lucas promising not to say anything derogatory about anyone, and not to reveal any secrets.

Also remember Lucasart's policy of shutting down any fan sites with multimedia, or scripts and such like.
It's these sorts of draconian policies about fan sites which make we extremely wary of letting lucasarts host one. If you look at my .sig, you'll find the URL of our (The LDB) site, where you can find levels and add-ons etc. But I hope to be opening a new multimedia site with avi clips, sound clips and more. Ever noticed how hard it is to find new stuff out there? you heard it here first...

------------------
visit the Lucky Despot Boyz Jedi Knight Clan site www.ldb.org.uk) (http://www.ldb.org.uk)
 LDB_Leeman
03-19-2000, 10:40 AM
David Prowse played Darth Vader . (Interestingly, Dave Prowse come from the same area of England as me).
James Earl Jones provided the voice,
Sebastian Shaw played the older Anakin Skywalker,
and that brat Jake Lloyd played young Anakin.

------------------
www.thereckoning.co.uk) (http://www.thereckoning.co.uk) - My Personal Starcruiser.
 echobase_69
03-20-2000, 6:47 AM
Maybe I should delete that MP3 I made

------------------
The trouble with heroine, or so I've heard, is that it's rather moreish
 Darth Kurgan
03-23-2000, 1:18 AM
I didn't think LucasArts owned or really had anything to do with Starwars.com...

As to Lucasarts shutting down Star Wars fan sites, I remember hearing this before. Can anyone tell me some sites they have shut down in the past? I'm just curious. If they were sites that distributed pirated software of their's I could totally understand them being shut down (or somebody totally ripping off their site new and layout/graphics etc).

Kurgan
Page: 1 of 1