Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

grimovie.exe

Page: 1 of 1
 stumpy
05-02-2002, 10:04 AM
zup. hi. i'm tring to find a copy of the grim fandango movietrailer(grimovie.exe). trying to do some work on the smush movie player but i lost my old copy.(sort of a crash'n burn situation) and now i can't seem to find one anywhere. well i saw Serge mentioning working on it on the SCUMMRev site and thought; "He would have a copy, wouldn't he?). So if you do, could you possibly make it available on the site or something?:)
 MetaFox
05-02-2002, 1:35 PM
Here you go, did a search for it and found it - so I uploaded it to my Grim Fandango site. :)

http://www.emucamp.com/megamonkey/cafecalavera/downloads.html)
 Serge
05-02-2002, 2:24 PM
Thanks for that, Meta :) I lost the trailer myself some years back. Someone found it for me on some obscure site. Went looking for that site again, since I don't have any ftp space on Mojo yet (if Mojo even has an ftp server yet after the move :P), and wouldn't want to burden the http server with a 30MB download.

- Serge
 Metallus
05-02-2002, 3:06 PM
I downloaded that, (for purposes of news postage on the GFN) and it seems like the zipping process corrupted the file. It does not work on my machine.
 Serge
05-02-2002, 4:38 PM
If you mean that it plays IMMENSELY fast, that's due to the old SMUSH bug that's also evident in CMI when running on XP. To fix that, run dxdiag and set your DirectSound accelleration to Basic Accelleration. If it just doesn't work at all, (I haven't tried downloading that file), any chance I could get FTP space on Mojo, Metallus? Then I'll upload my version, which I KNOW works :) (well, other than the SMUSH bug).

- Serge
 MetaFox
05-02-2002, 6:57 PM
I had to go to my great uncle's wake this afternoon, so I posted it in a rush.

I just downloaded, uploaded, and posted. The ZIP is bad. I tried to redownload it three times, two regular, and one with getright, and it didn't work.

Sorry about that, I'll see if I can find a good copy, and actually test it this time.
 Serge
05-02-2002, 8:04 PM
If there's any way I can send my version to you (that isn't per email ;) ) so that you may upload it, let me know. Mojo does indeed not have FTP space yet.

- Serge
 stumpy
05-02-2002, 11:11 PM
yep. i downed that zip too. tried every repair util i could find. that zip is totally f***ed. great if you could find a way to get your copy up somewhere serge. tried scummrev3 today. bkgrndripping in gf works like a charm :D
 MetaFox
05-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Thanks to Serge, the download at Cafe Calavera (http://www.emucamp.com/megamonkey/cafecalavera/downloads.html) now works. :D
 stumpy
05-02-2002, 11:20 PM
GREAT
I had a real hard time trying to get it. What do you know. this forum thing might just prove to be usefull after all:)
:cool:
 Serge
05-03-2002, 12:55 AM
Can't believe no Grim pages (or anyone else) have it anymore. If nothing else, the music is great, and it's a great look into the CMI version of SMUSH (as far as I recall, it's pretty much the same SMUSH version as that one) without having to dig through all the other stuff in COMI.EXE :) Also, you might find a patch for the sound bug under XP that causes CMI/GF trailer videos to run at top speed all the way through :) (without changing DirectSound accelleration).

- Serge
 Metallus
05-03-2002, 1:01 AM
Serge, we've been looking for this for years. I think the site(s) that had it must have died, and the remaining ones have been searching ever since. I'm currently eating MetaFox's bandwidth downloading it for myself (again).
 stumpy
05-03-2002, 1:24 AM
well, I'm just about ready to kill someone.. just fiished downing serges version and i'm getting crc errors when trying to decompress it. is it just me or does anyone else have the same problem? if it works in your end could you post it uncompressed so I can download it like that? blah. I'm about to cry:(
 MeddlingMonk
05-03-2002, 1:40 AM
The zip file is just screwed up. If it's what I think it is, this is the corrupted file that's been floating around the net for years since Cnet took it off Download.com.

The trouble is, very few people seem to have the trailer (I'm one of them :D ) and the damn thing weighs in at nearly 60 megabytes. What would be really helpful if it could be captured and turned into something sensible like a nice, tiny DiVX or Sorenson 3 file. But I don't have the hardware for that kind of thing (or the know-how, but that never stopped me before).
 stumpy
05-03-2002, 1:43 AM
If you'd bothered reading the tread you'd see this is a different one. One that's supposed to work. and it does kinda. but the movies screwed up in the end. i managed to extract it now, but it's missing a chunk of the film. sh**'!
 Serge
05-03-2002, 1:58 AM
The file at MetaFox's site is indeed corrupted. I just compared it to the version I sent to him and about 65K of the .zip (in one big chunk) are just plain wrong. Which doesn't make sense. If it had been due to the server treating it as an ASCII file and thus doing ASCII conversion, the errors would have been all over the file.

Anyway, I've gotten permission from Mojo to upload it TEMPORARILY to the scummrev page. Doing that now, should be done in about 30 minutes (yes, my upstream is low) :) I'll let you know when it's done, where to find it, and download it myself to check if it works.

- Serge
 Metallus
05-03-2002, 2:05 AM
Sounds great! Yeah, the one that I got from MetaFox's site (the second time around) loaded, changed the resolution to 640x480, and then crashed my computer.
 stumpy
05-03-2002, 2:09 AM
sounds weird. had a little trouble extracting mine, but it played fine. just chopped of the end of the trailer, thats all:confused:
 Serge
05-03-2002, 2:15 AM
Sounds like the server is messing up some TCP packets... At rather random spots. Mine was about the middle of the file... Anyway, halfways done. Going slower than I thought.

- Serge
 Serge
05-03-2002, 2:17 AM
Anyway, since part of the SCUMMBag project involves figuring out the CMI SMUSH format, I might do a DivX encode of it sometime to make it easier to distribute it on the web. No idea when I'll have it worked out, though ;)

- Serge
 Serge
05-03-2002, 2:37 AM
http://scummrev.mixnmojo.com/download/Grimovie.zip)

There ya go. Be sure it's with a capital G in Grimovie. And don't link to this from somewhere else. If you have space for it somewhere, put it up there. I'll remove it as soon as I get confirmation from Metallus and stumpy that they got it - or within the next 3 days. Downloading it myself now, just to test (and kill Mojo's bandwidth :P)

- Serge
 MetaFox
05-03-2002, 2:39 AM
Yeah, somehow the upload got corrupted *again*

OK I uploaded it again, downloaded it from the server myself after uploading it, and tested it.

It works OK now.

http://www.emucamp.com/megamonkey/cafecalavera/downloads.html)

If this doesn't work, stay out of my way, because I'm going to do something so unimaginably evil to the first person I see. :deathii:
 stumpy
05-03-2002, 2:47 AM
great serge. i'll post a msg as soon as i'm done downing it. might take an hour and a half or so though
Ёstumpy
 Metallus
05-03-2002, 2:49 AM
Negative on my end. It did the same thing as before--a black screen in 640x480, and nothing happens. I can't quit out, so I assume it's frozen. This happened last time for me, and yet others were able to run it.
 MetaFox
05-03-2002, 2:59 AM
I decided to download it one last time before I go to bed after reading what serge said about the server screwing up the packets.

It worked the second time too so hopefully it will work for good now. If not, I'll just serve my website off my computer. ZTNet is supposably a reliable host, but I'm beginning to get my doubts.

Metallus, did you download the file from my site after the reupload? If so, did you get CRC errors or did it just fail to load?

I'm off to bed, I'm going to try to download it again in the morning and see what happens.
 Serge
05-03-2002, 3:02 AM
The plot thickens...

I downloaded the file from Mojo, did a filecompare of my two .zips. They were identical. I ran the .exe, it ran fine. However, when I tried running it by doubleclicking inside WinZip, it gave me a black screen and I had to reboot to get away from it :P . If this is what you did too, be sure to just decompress it and run it directly from Windows, rather than from WinZip.

- Serge
 Metallus
05-03-2002, 3:09 AM
Roger--trying that now.
 Serge
05-03-2002, 3:21 AM
That the .exe is an isolated SMUSH player isn't the only thing that's great about it, I just found...

When LEC released it, they also forgot to remove the debugging info from it. So, with the right disassembler, every single function and variable is named. No more looking through the function to find out what it does ;)

So, SMUSH decoding isn't so far away as I first thought :cool:

- Serge
 Metallus
05-03-2002, 3:38 AM
Dammit, still crashes mine.
 Serge
05-03-2002, 3:50 AM
Damn. I have no idea :P. Might just have been a coincidence that it worked when I ran it from Windows and didn't when I ran it from WinZip. Still, it's run fine for the past month whenever I tried it. Hmm... Maybe try setting your display to 640x480x8 bit (as far as I recall, the trailer is in 8 bit color depth).

- Serge
 Jake
05-03-2002, 8:00 AM
It worked without a hitch on my housemates PC, running Windows XP no less!
 stumpy
05-03-2002, 8:06 AM
well it works just fine over here. (Hurray) Thanx a lot serge. Can't wait till you get that smush-extractor up & running.
stumpy:D
 MetaFox
05-03-2002, 11:57 AM
They left the debugging info in it? Silly rabbits. :D

Can't wait to see where you get with this latest info, Serge. :)

The SMUSH decoder will be quite neat. :cool:
 Metallus
05-03-2002, 2:09 PM
I hate you all. :D
 Serge
05-03-2002, 2:28 PM
First thing to find out was that the video wasn't 640x480x8 but rather 640x480x16 - like the game ;)

As for you, poor Metallus, I still have no idea :P

As for SMUSH decoding, it'll still take a long time... I have a compiler, a decompiler, an entire integrated development environment, an audio player and a game engine to work on already - some of them are also far off into the future, though. Who knows.

- Serge
 ZaXeriaw
05-04-2002, 12:46 AM
I got the same problem..... When I open it my cumputer crashed.....:(
 Serge
05-04-2002, 12:52 AM
Have either of you tried running it with DirectSound accelleration set to Basic Accelleration? (type "dxdiag" in Start/Run to get to DirectX Diagnostics). Since the GF Trailer SMUSH player is very similar to the CMI Game ditto, it may also exhibit the same problems (crashes, sped-up playback, stuttering...).

- Serge
 john_doe
05-05-2002, 4:43 AM
Originally posted by Serge
That the .exe is an isolated SMUSH player isn't the only thing that's great about it, I just found...

When LEC released it, they also forgot to remove the debugging info from it. So, with the right disassembler, every single function and variable is named. No more looking through the function to find out what it does ;)

So, SMUSH decoding isn't so far away as I first thought :cool:

- Serge

Debug info! Cool! When I first disassembled the grimovie.exe I stripped the exe code from the Smush data at the end and forgot to include the debug stuff...
Now let's have a look at the Smush stuff... :)
 Serge
05-05-2002, 4:51 AM
So you ARE still doing SCUMM stuff, Ben... :)

We ought to start working together again then. ;)

- Serge
 Metallus
05-05-2002, 5:22 AM
Ok, after running dxdiag, adjusting the speed, and switching to 16bit color mode, it ran beautifully.
 john_doe
05-05-2002, 6:36 PM
Originally posted by Serge
So you ARE still doing SCUMM stuff, Ben... :)

We ought to start working together again then. ;)

- Serge

Of course I am... :) Not as much as when I was still in school but from time to time I do some SCUMM stuff...
However, recently I'm working on something like ScummRev but for the Broken Sword & Discworld games. Maybe I can put this in the tool I'm hallucinating of, that one that will open LEC-bundles and display every file in them (I think with the background graphics from GF&MI4 decodable I should take a look at GF's 3do again. There wasn't missing so much information to make a viewer, after all).
Page: 1 of 1