Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darn ThisComputer!

Page: 1 of 1
 Zoom Rabbit
05-10-2000, 6:33 PM
Help!

I'm having problems getting my web browser to download the 'Way of the Jedi' thread! It gets partway down page two, then cuts off. When I refresh, nothing happens.

I noticed a post in that thread. I'll respond to it as soon as I can, but for now my lack of computer awareness prevents me from doing so.

What do I do? http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/confused.gif)

------------------
"The entire universe is simply the fractal chaos boundary between intersecting domains of high and low energy."
 Matt Kenobi
05-10-2000, 6:54 PM
that happens to me alot and it gets me so mad. have you tried to totally close out the web browser and start up again, usually with me i just hit refresh until it works, if any of these don't work, restart your computer, and if this doesn't work, then i have no idea http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif)
 Zoom Rabbit
05-10-2000, 7:12 PM
I figured it out! All I had to do was load up the Netscape Navigator instead of the Internet Explorer. I prefer the Explorer, but either will work, I suppose.

Still doesn't explain why it happened in the first place...
 Ikhnaton
05-10-2000, 7:45 PM
I darn thee!

seriously though, hit ctrl+f5 and that will refresh it.
 wizzywig
05-10-2000, 8:54 PM
We've had the same problem here a lot, and it dates back to when this forum started using the newest version of UBB. I suspect it's a glitch in the new UBB. The refresh button doesn't solve it. We'll try the CTRL+F5 solutions next time and see.

--wiz
 theahnfahn
05-10-2000, 11:38 PM
Get the MOST recent version of IE. I have no problems with it, and I do more surfing than most. I'll sometimes have 15 windows open and maybe it will crash in an hour or so, but that is probably due to memory consumption and the fact that I never turn my computer off. Also, some pages might be loading slowly because some goof is embedding songs or stuff like that. With a cable modem these download instantly, but for 56K users it might take a while to download these and therefore it seems as though the browser is "locking" up.

And I have a question of my own. Does anyone know if there is a pc monitor greater than 21 in? I was reading about video cards, and it says the Quadro supports monitors up to 24 in. Do these really exist? Man, that would be incredible to have something that huge!

------------------
And there he is. The reigning champion of the Boonta Classic, and the crowd favorite-TheAhnFahn
 Argath
05-11-2000, 2:25 AM
The largest CRT monitor I've seen was 29", but it only supported extremely low resolutions and had a horrible dot pitch. 24" is the largest I've ever seen that actually supports 1600x1200 and above, and those monitors cost several thousand dollars. Larger CRT's exist, but I'm not aware of any available to consumers that can reach the resolutions most people would need.

However, I don't know why "largest monitor size" would be listed on a video card's requirements; the video card shouldn't know or care how big the monitor is.
 theahnfahn
05-11-2000, 4:06 AM
Thanks. I wasn't aware of the exact price, but I knew they would be high. I just can't imagine having a screen that much bigger than the one I have now! I couldn't find any website with a 24 in. priced. I did find some that were like you said - crappy. This is what the website said (about the Elsa Gloria II, based on the nVidia Quadro):

Other ELSA software features include:
A 16:10 wide format for 24-inch monitors.
Up to 8 simultaneous hardware-accelerated light sources.
You can have resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 running at 85Hz in 3D Truecolor.

I was shocked with the screen size and resolution. My monitor was 1K and it can't even handle what this video card has to offer. I thought the stats were for future monitors, but if a 24 in. is out like you said then maybe I should take a look :O) Not that I could afford it, but just to see it in reality would be neat.

------------------
And there he is. The reigning champion of the Boonta Classic, and the crowd favorite-TheAhnFahn
 muchafraid
05-11-2000, 4:22 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but why is there such a big difference in Internet Explorer and Netscape? Is just how they read html or whatever? Different code or something? Seems like there would be just some standard for the whole thing rather just having many different variations of the same type of langue.

muchafraid
 Argath
05-11-2000, 5:53 PM
Ah, now it makes sense. They're talking about screen dimensions other than 4:3, which would require software support to use correctly. It appears that the software that comes with the card changes the screen dimensions to 16:10 so the picture (normally 4:3) won't be horribly distorted.
Page: 1 of 1