Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

GameCube

Page: 1 of 1
 TheJackal_jk2
08-23-2001, 1:50 PM
I dont know about you guys. I'm not a big fan of consoles, but I'M GETTING THIS PUPPY!

http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/space2k1/yuck/bg15.jpg)

Plus at GameCube.IGN they released two videos! One of ZELDA and one of Mario.

I think Mario looks amazing, however Zelda was just plain freaky. Especially when he winked!

Here is the link to the videos (http://cube.ign.com/news/37665.html)
 Darth_Rommel
08-23-2001, 2:17 PM
How much is the gamecube gonna cost? :confused:
 Tie Guy
08-23-2001, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by TheJackal
I'M GETTING THIS PUPPY!

I'm not :D

Don't ask me why unless you want to get into a huge debate. PS2 still is the greatest, and it came out first...nuff said.
 Boba Rhett
08-23-2001, 3:21 PM
GC's gonna rock! I can't wait until Zelda is released for it. It's going to cost $199. $100 less than PS2 I might add.....
 Lord JayVizIon
08-23-2001, 3:24 PM
i don't know, maybe sometime this fall i'll get it but i'm a big PS2 fan, esp. with those sports simulations that they have. anyone check out madden 2002 yet?
 Gamma732
08-23-2001, 3:39 PM
I got a PS2, don't plan on getting a gamecube or an xbox. I'm not really into many Nintendo game franchises...Yep, I'm prally the only guy here that doesn't like Zelda.....I don't like FF for that matter either ;) As for the xbox....I've only heard bad stuff about that thing. Which one is the one that suppoesedly has a horrible controller?
 Boba Rhett
08-23-2001, 3:45 PM
The X-box. :D And good ol' Bill is forcing many stores to sell the X-box bundled with alot of software and other things bringing the cost to around $1,200!! :rolleyes:
 Gamma732
08-23-2001, 3:48 PM
Yes! I read that too. That is such BS. He's shooting himself in the foot. Since we're on the topic of bad xbox gossip: I also read that one of the things actually crashed at E3.....
 Boba Rhett
08-23-2001, 3:58 PM
LOL. well, why wouldn't it? After all, it is running on a modified Windows operating system. Didn't Windows ME crash at a public showing also? LOL. :p
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-23-2001, 4:40 PM
X-box is worthless unless you're in dire need of a footstool! :D I'm gonna get a gamecube. The first game I'll get is Super Smash Bros. Melee, followed be Rogue Squadron II! I can't wait for it to come out. It's gonna be REALLY cool. Well I take that back. I can wait for it to come out, as long as I have the GB demo. :D
 Kvan
08-23-2001, 4:48 PM
I'll probably get a Gamecube but I doubt I'll get much games for it :(
 Sherack Nhar
08-23-2001, 4:55 PM
Guys, lay off the Console War until LucasConsoles is launched!
I'm thinking of having a specific forum about that on the new site... And look forward to my Console War Article too! Okay I'm finished plugging LucasConsoles now :D

Zelda is awesome! It's so old school! If you look closely at the environements, you'll see that they look exactly like those on SNES!

Mario, on the other hand, had me a little disappointed. It was way too early to show in my opinion, they used the textures and sound from the N64 Mario. Blah.

I'll be getting a Gamecube eventually. But not until either Zelda or Sonic Adventure 3 is released! I'm a little short on cash, I need to build up my DC library before moving on to GC.
 Master Yoda
08-23-2001, 4:57 PM
Im preodering the GameCube,smash bros mellee, and Rogue Squadron II. The GameCube is going to rule the console market. The X-Box is dead already so they wont have worry about it, and the ps2 doesnt have any good games out for it unless u like sports games and the GameCube is going to have quite a few of them as well so....
 Tie Guy
08-23-2001, 5:37 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoda
the ps2 doesnt have any good games out for it unless u like sports games

How can you say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teken Tag
Gran Turismo 3
Metal Gear Solid (soon)
Starfighter
Final Fantasy X (which will outsell any nintendo game by far)
SSX
Twisted Metal Black
Teken 4 (soon)
and many more......

Those are just the very best one, and they will have over 200 titles out by the time gcube comes out with it's first 25.

BTW, gcube is $100 less coz it doesn't have a DVD player.
 darthfergie
08-23-2001, 5:49 PM
PS2 for me.

I might get GameCube when it has more than 3 Games!!!:mad: (N64 Flashback)
The PS2 has the games en mass and the quality is great because they have more experiance with this system. Like I said I might get the GameCube in 2 or 3 years...right now...not a chance.
X-Box might be good...If it didn't have a problem of dedicated backing. It has to make it's own backing from scatch while Nintendo and Sony have a large fanbase. So I'm afraid X-Box with all it's potential...will be a minor sucess.
 Master Yoda
08-23-2001, 5:49 PM
the GameCube will have 20 titles out when it launches. Im not going to reply a again because we have already been through this before.
 Sherack Nhar
08-23-2001, 5:52 PM
BTW, gcube is $100 less coz it doesn't have a DVD player.That's right, the Gamecube is what it's supposed to be: a gaming machine.

Sony and Microsoft are trying to sell something that's a gaming machine, a DVD player, a USB device, etc. What's next? A toaster?

PS9: the Toaster of the Future. Experience the Toast.

Seriously... Many of the games you mentionned Tie Guy are so-so (for example, Tekken Tag, SSX).

FF is on its downfall, especially with FFXI being online. A blatant rip-off of Phantasy Star Online. Bleh.

With Sonic Team on their side, Nintendo has all the cards it needs to "win".

EDIT: This has gone too far now. Stop this arguing at once or I'll be forced to close the topic. I've seen entire communities ruined because of such futile arguments (FFonline).
 darthfergie
08-23-2001, 5:58 PM
the GameCube will have 20 titles out when it launches. Im not going to reply a again because we have already been through this before.

PS2 will have over 100 titles by the end of this year.:D

the ps2 doesnt have any good games out for it unless u like sports games

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???
Metal Gear Solid 2, Dynast Warriors 3 (or 2), Kessen II, SW-StarFighter, Onimishu Warlords, Ace Combat 4, Final Fantasy X and XI, Half-Life, Max Payne, Medal Of Honor Frontline, and these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my HEAD!!!
 darthfergie
08-23-2001, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar
EDIT: This has gone too far now. Stop this arguing at once or I'll be forced to close the topic. I've seen entire communities ruined because of such futile arguments (FFonline).

We're not arguing, just discussing :angel:
 Tie Guy
08-23-2001, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar
That's right, the Gamecube is what it's supposed to be: a gaming machine.

Sony and Microsoft are trying to sell something that's a gaming machine, a DVD player, a USB device, etc. What's next? A toaster?

PS9: the Toaster of the Future. Experience the Toast.

Seriously... Many of the games you mentionned Tie Guy are so-so (for example, Tekken Tag, SSX).

FF is on its downfall, especially with FFXI being online. A blatant rip-off of Phantasy Star Online. Bleh.

With Sonic Team on their side, Nintendo has all the cards it needs to "win".

You could say the same thing about the computer.
The Pentium 27, a toaster, and so much more. :D

BTW, i'd like to have a microwave on it, so you could make popcorn for yourself during the movie. Or how bout a washing machine, or a lamp, that would be usefull. :D

Anyways, the bottom line is that a DVD player doesn't reduce performance, it is only a bonus. It is everything that a gcube will be PLUS and DVD. It only adds to it, i don't see how that can be a point of argument.

And don't you be dissing Final Fantasy. They aren't on the downfall, just ask one of 2 million people in Japan that has it.
 Master Yoda
08-23-2001, 6:23 PM
But i would rather not pay extra 100 bucks for the DVD.

PS2 will have over 100 titles by the end of this year.

It doesnt matter how many titles you have its how good they are and the will have SSX for GameCube but itll an ENHANCED version called SSX Tricky!!
 Sherack Nhar
08-23-2001, 6:31 PM
Uh, SSX Tricky is going on all consoles, last time I heard.

Please guys, if you really want to debate things like that, at least do it with true and confirmed facts. That will avoid a lot of frustration.
 darthfergie
08-23-2001, 6:36 PM
But i would rather not pay extra 100 bucks for the DVD.

PS2 will have over 100 titles by the end of this year.

It doesnt matter how many titles you have its how good they are and the will have SSX for GameCube but itll an ENHANCED version called SSX Tricky!!

PS2 will have an ENHANCED version also!!!! SSX Tricky wow same name:p
N64's trouble was it went for quality too.:(
The strategy doesn't work as well as they thought. It has very few games I've got every game I would ever want to play on that system. (20:( ) Nintendo...they are releasing 20 titles upon release. 23 titles by the end of the year...considering their acuracy rating on most of their games...3 or 4 will be hits...possibly. The main game I would want out of that is Super Smash 2. Luigi's Mansion???strike 1. Fox's Dino Adventure??? strike 2. No Zelda or Metroid game until next fall at the least??? strike 3 I'm not buying.

I'll wait on the outcome of this Console. For now. It's PS2 all the way. If GameCube shapes up to be a good system I might get it in 2 or 3 years, but I'm not going out and waisting my money on a console that doesn't generate games. PS2 has proven it's worth...now GameCube???
 Master Yoda
08-23-2001, 6:50 PM
N64 was ALOT harder to make games for than the GameCabe is.You will never be able to get all the games you want on one console which one reason i like PCs, but Ill buy GameCube for Smash Bros 2,Zelda,Rogue Leader(yes i know it will probably come out on pc),and quite a few others. Ps2 just doesnt have enough games that i like, and X-Box straight out sucks so i wont get it.
 darthfergie
08-23-2001, 6:54 PM
N64 was ALOT harder to make games for than the GameCabe is.You will never be able to get all the games you want on one console which one reason i like PCs, but Ill buy GameCube for Smash Bros 2,Zelda,Rogue Leader(yes i know it will probably come out on pc),and quite a few others. Ps2 just doesnt have enough games that i like, and X-Box straight out sucks so i wont get it.

Have you researched this at all???
For a year I have been diciding my fate. Only recently did I decide PS2. GameCube is good...but I'll wait on it:D
(no need waisting $200 on a system that doesn't know the ropes yet. I'll check the system out if it is a huge sucess, but otherwise I'll pass)
 Master Yoda
08-23-2001, 7:05 PM
Why ps2? the GameCube has easily as good graphics and power.
 darthfergie
08-23-2001, 7:20 PM

But it doesn't have all the games and a large fanbase really helped it. With that large fanbase add the fact that it came out first and most people aren't exactly going to go out and buy another console a year from when they got another new one. The publishers will then shower the one that has the largest fanbase with the most titles and the best titles (Lucasarts excluded. PS2 got shafted on that deal:o there still is SW StarFighter and if RogueSquadron becomes so popular on the GameCube it might be made in a special edition for PS2, but that is just me probably)

If I really want it I'll get it for PC. I like Nintendo It's just they aren't geared for my type all that much anymore. Nintendo Power has gone Kiddy thanks to Pokemon. They just keep going on and on and on about POKEMON!!!:mad: That is a Moral problem that is all to frequent in my class. It doesn't improve sales. (this might all sound stupid but it is not my fault they are gearing up for the kids under 12)
 Boba Rhett
08-23-2001, 7:40 PM
If you haven't noticed, Nintendo is going to try and make more games for older players. Conker, anyone? That was just a glimpse of what Nintendo has planned for older players. There will no doubt be alot more games geared for older players for the GC.

GC will also have just as many games and they also have a large fanbase. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.... Amount of games doesn't matter to much anyway. Amega came out with more games than the N64 did. Does that mean I should give up my N64 and start playing with my Amega? :rolleyes:

BTW, when is LucasConsoles opening up? I wanna be there when it does!! :D
 darthfergie
08-23-2001, 7:53 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
If you haven't noticed, Nintendo is going to try and make more games for older players. Conker, anyone? That was just a glimpse of what Nintendo has planned for older players. There will no doubt be alot more games geared for older players for the GC.

GC will also have just as many games and they also have a large fanbase. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.... Amount of games doesn't matter to much anyway. Amega came out with more games than the N64 did. Does that mean I should give up my N64 and start playing with my Amega?

Conker:barf: That game was just not right.:o I was so distastful. I think it diserves it's position right now (the Trash Bin)
When are they coming out with a Mario game???:rolleyes:
Super Smash is the only one I can think of and like I said it will be awesome. Metroid might not even come out next year!!! Zelda??? HA!!! That demo they played isn't close to being complete. Next Year maybe...possibly...I don't think so though. I think they'll fumble the ball again :o

Amega came out with more games than the N64 did. Does that mean I should give up my N64 and start playing with my Amega?

Amega sound like an Atari so I'll just dismiss that. Also PS2 games number past 100 and at least 50% are good games. Others are Japanese games that never made it big in the U.S. or low quality copies of the awesome gams on the system.
 Tie Guy
08-23-2001, 8:09 PM

That's the way it looks on paper, but that doesn't really mean alot. If you look at it that way then the X-Box is the best console ever. It has the highest specs, way higher than the ps2 or the gcube, but we all know it is a piece of junk that won't be any good. The ps2 reigns supreme in my book because in the past it has shown it can make the ultimate gaming system. The n64 wasn't as good as it could have been, and it was nintendo's fault. I think that the ps2 will be better in the end because sony has shown time and time again that it can create great systems with great developers making great games. You people getting gamcube can stick to Pokemon GC, and i'll actually have fun playing Final Fantasy X.

And don't even start on the gcube focussing on an older audience, coz that is kinda how n64 started, then it turned kiddie, just like gcube will. All those whining little kids with parents who spoil them will get one so they can play pokemon, then everything will change, just like the n64.
 Boba Rhett
08-23-2001, 9:22 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie

Zelda??? HA!!! That demo they played isn't close to being complete. Next Year maybe...possibly...I don't think so though. I think they'll fumble the ball again :o

What are you talking about, drop the ball again? Every Zelda game that has come out has been great and even the demo for the next Zelda looks awesome.The next Zelda will definately be out before Christmas 2002. And yes, Conker was very distasteful. I was merely pointing out that Nintendo is starting to try and gere some games towards adults.

I forget the name but they are also releasing several "mario" titles for GC.

Amega sound like an Atari so I'll just dismiss that.

How does that have anything to do with what I was getting at?

Also PS2 games number past 100 and at least 50% are good games. Others are Japanese games that never made it big in the U.S. or low quality copies of the awesome gams on the system.

So you consider half crap half good to be a good? ;)

I don't want to argue anymore with anyone so I'm not going to post in this thread again...unless absolutely necessary. :D
 darthfergie
08-23-2001, 9:33 PM
What are you talking about, drop the ball again? Every Zelda game that has come out has been great and even the demo for the next Zelda looks awesome.The next Zelda will definately be out before Christmas 2002. And yes, Conker was very distasteful. I was merely pointing out that Nintendo is starting to try and gere some games towards adults.

I don't want to argue anymore with anyone so I'm not going to post in this thread again...unless absolutely necessary. :D

They do look awesome, but they come out years after the original release date. That is what I was talking about. Nintendo has never been very good at perdicting their release date.

As for the arguement...it's over...we are all to solid in our opinions to do any good.
 Master Yoda
08-23-2001, 9:38 PM
Nintendo isnt the only one to do that, it seems like half the development companys ect. cant make a good guess at the release date, and thats not just the ones making games for the GameCube.
 Sherack Nhar
08-23-2001, 9:54 PM
I'm glad it's cooling down... darthfergie, you are right. We're all entitled to our opinions, it's no use arguing over that. My Console War article will hopefully enlighten some of you. You guys seem to be dismissing the Xbox too soon. But let's not get into that again, okay?

I'm surprised how civilised the argument ended. Great work guys!

To answer your question Rhett, LucasConsoles does not have a firm launch date yet. But we hope that it'll open its door in the coming weeks (Maybe 2 or 3). Since I'll be in charge, I'll be the one choosing the staff... And I have some ideas right now.
 Lord JayVizIon
08-23-2001, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy

And don't even start on the gcube focussing on an older audience, coz that is kinda how n64 started, then it turned kiddie, just like gcube will. All those whining little kids with parents who spoil them will get one so they can play pokemon, then everything will change, just like the n64.

it all depends on who you get to license your games. as long as SONY has the big names under their market, they won't fall. glad you pointed out the final fantasy aspect, tie.
 Tie Guy
08-24-2001, 3:36 PM
Hey Sherack, i'll work for you. :D I know html and a little ASP.

Anyways, are you gonna have some good forums over at LucasConsoles.com?
 Boba Rhett
08-24-2001, 3:50 PM
He damn well better!! :D

Anyway Tie, I assume he was talking about mods in the forums there. I doubt he needs help with things like html. :cool:
 Gen.Veers
08-24-2001, 4:20 PM
I've got a PS2, and I'm going to get a GameCube. I've always like Nintendo better than Sony. Can't wait until I get to play Super Smash Bros. Melee..

According to some developers (i.e., Factor 5), the PS2 seems to be doing what the N64 did when it came out. GT3 was supposed to come out near release, it took over 6 months for them to release it (I still like GT3, don't get me wrong). It seems the PS2 is harder to develop for than the PSX was, whereas Nintendo fixed this problem with the GameCube (they learned that lesson).
 TheJackal_jk2
08-24-2001, 4:29 PM
I'm not a console fan. the last one I bought was the SuperNintendo (and I gave it away to some young cousins I have). But I'm thinking of getting the GameCube. The thing is, I'm not sure if I should. I'm saving some money to buy a digital camera (around 800$ CND, hey I want a good quality camera!).

So in your opinion, what should I do. Get the gameCube and delay the digital camera for a good month or two. Or just get the digital camera. NOTE: i want to become a graphic designer, so it WILL be usefull for me.
 Master Yoda
08-24-2001, 4:33 PM
Well if you want to have lots of fun then get the GameCube and delay the camera, but if your in a hurry to learn graphics designing then get hte camera....
 Tie Guy
08-24-2001, 5:46 PM
Anyway Tie, I assume he was talking about mods in the forums there. I doubt he needs help with things like html. :cool:

I know that Rhett, i'm just trying to boost my resume :D

Anyways, you should get the camera, and wait for the gcube to lower it's price and for some decent games to come out if you get it at all.

BTW, i just found out today that my Chemisty teacher is an incredibly huge gamer, wierd huh? He's like 40 something, and is a chemistry teacher, but he likes Final Fantasy and the ps2 and all. :D
 darthfergie
08-24-2001, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by TheJackal
So in your opinion, what should I do. Get the gameCube and delay the digital camera for a good month or two. Or just get the digital camera. NOTE: i want to become a graphic designer, so it WILL be usefull for me.

Camera...wait on the GameCube at least until the Price goes down.:D
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-24-2001, 6:08 PM
If it was me I'd get the GC. :D
 Sherack Nhar
08-24-2001, 9:31 PM
LucasConsoles' forums will be as good as these! Nah, what am I saying? Even better!

Tie Guy, we've got lots of talented people working on the technical aspect of the site (CGI, PHP, and all that stuff I can't understand :D ). We've got excellent graphic artists too, like TheJackal!

I'm working on the content of the site. You could call me the "content supervisor" if you like.

TheJackal, I'd say to get the camera first too. Let's not get that talent go to waste! And the Gamecube would have gone down in price by the time you'd have enough money after the camera.
Page: 1 of 1