Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Left handed Jedi?

Page: 1 of 1
 Kuroshi
04-09-2002, 2:16 AM
Short question. I'd like to be left-handed in the game. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.
 Valdarious
04-09-2002, 2:23 AM
Not yet
 Pol Favre
04-09-2002, 3:14 AM
if the jedi have as much in common with the samurai as i think, they should all be trained to be right handed :>

DIE LEFTIES!

or not.
 BioHazzard
04-09-2002, 3:17 AM
Path to the Dark Side the left hand is....:yoda: but no there isnt yet...
 Iodius
04-09-2002, 3:29 AM
Jedi are based heavily off of samurai, and samurias where trained in the use of their right hand primarily, and only use the left when dual wielding.

They never, unless they were forced, used their left hand primarily.
 Pol Favre
04-09-2002, 3:31 AM
heh i meant to mention that in my samurai v. jedi post. after all, my post up there did make me compare the commons.
 BuRn
04-09-2002, 3:48 AM
since lightsaber fighting is heavily based on kendo, and if your taking a normal kendo grip, left handed fighters would have a advantage since their left hand(placed at the bottom in a normal grip) is stronger.
 Evil_Ferret
04-09-2002, 4:03 AM
dont know if this is true but i heard that samurai use their right hand. when ronin use their left.
 GreyJedi
04-09-2002, 4:12 AM
ALL samurai fought right-handed. The most prominent reason is that the sword rests on your left when you draw it, and the traditional gi/hakama clothes they wore were folded left over right.

A left handed samurai would need to wear his sword on his right side and the sword could then get caught in his clothes as he draws it.

A left handed samurai could not reverse the folds of his clothes, because you only fold right over left when you bury dead people.

I think there are some other reasons as well.
 Pol Favre
04-09-2002, 4:25 AM
i knew an old guy in japan who was a swordsman, and we talked about the left handed thing. i don't remember why i asked, but im glad i did. if someone was born lefted handed, it wouldn't matter, they would train them to be right handed.

ronin are only samurai who've lost their master and either revenge his death or become a type of mercenary. at least, that's how i understand it.

them going left handed wouldn't make much sense, except for reasons such as being outcast and different, maybe for the shame of it, but they would have to totally retrain themselves...
 Hiteche5
04-09-2002, 7:44 PM
Just remeber though..left handers think with their right mind...get it?...huh..get it? I'll shut up now :(
 GreyJedi
04-09-2002, 7:47 PM
For more info on why there are no left-handed samurai visit www.aikiweb.com) and look for an article on it.
 *Darth Vega*
04-09-2002, 8:18 PM
I'm left handed, unlike all the righty weirdos:D
 Cyclone
04-09-2002, 8:40 PM
I thought that left handed Jedi, are throw into dumpsters as infants. I guess one could have survived.
 VSAF
04-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Make that two! Anyways, left handed ppl might have an advantage since most ppl are right handed, righties might find it kinda akward to block lefties cuz we swing in different places...*shrugs*
Page: 1 of 1