Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Problem with LAB-files!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 UnLiMiTeD
04-08-2002, 4:51 PM
I'm very confused. When I want to copy the LAB-files to the harddisk and go into the GRIMDATA folder of the CD I see serious file sizes (look at the screenshot). And when I try to copy, for example, the DATA001.LAB it takes a long time to copy it and then it aborts with a CRC-error. Can someone help me?

Here's a screenshot of the folder:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/rtlskiworld/various) pics/lab.jpg
 MeddlingMonk
04-09-2002, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure what I could tell you. Are you able to play the game at all? I wonder whether the CD is screwed up or whether the problem lies somwhere else.

It might help to know more about your system. You're obviously running XP which is a bit of a problem. On the very rare occasions when I've had problems copying large files (or a huge number of files) doing it in DOS has always been the solution...but XP kind of rules that out I think. If a DOS-like command prompt is available in XP you might give that a try.

What about virus scanning? If you have something that scans files when they're copied you might want to try disabling that.

But I'm afraid you're not seeing realistic file sizes on the CD. Look at credits.lab. Your screenshot is showing 679,008 KB...which is in excess of the total capacity of a CD-ROM. The actual size of this file is 19 KB. Unfortunately that doesn't tell us where the problem is. Could be the disk but the problem might be your computer. If you can, put that disk in another computer and see if things look different or the same. If the same, I'd say the disk is screwed up and you'll need a replacement (for both, just to be safe).
 UnLiMiTeD
04-09-2002, 1:38 PM
My System:
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
256MB DDR-RAM
nVidia GeForce 2 MX400
Windows XP Home

Yes, I'm running Windows XP but I think that isn't the problem. I can play the game without problems. I had a 400MHz Pentium 2 Computer with nVidia Riva TNT, 128MB RAM and Windows 98 before and there was exactly the same problem.

There's a DOS-like command prompt in XP but I don't know how to copy files with it. Can you explain how to do that? So I may give that a try.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
 MeddlingMonk
04-09-2002, 7:32 PM
Well, the file sizes that are being displayed are impossible so if it shows up on two machines the problem must be the disk. The files may be fine (which is why the game runs) even if the size is being misreported (probably what's behind the copy problem...somehow).

Since I think the problem lies in the disk I doubt copying from a command prompt will help. But I could be wrong so there's no reason not to try.

How to do it: First call up the command prompt. Type exactly what I have below. At the end of the line press ENTER.

copy d:\grimdata\*.lab c:\progra~1\lucasa~1\grim

The * is a wildcard, meaning that every .lab file will be copied. The last part of the line is where you are copying to...which, of course, might not be where you actually installed the game so change that part if you need to. In DOS (and the command prompt) file and folder names can only be eight characters long. Longer names get shortened the way you see above.
 UnLiMiTeD
04-11-2002, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. But you're right, there's a problem with the disk. Anyway, I can play the game without problems and therefore it's not so bad. Thanks for trying to help me!;)
 MeddlingMonk
04-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Yes, at least you can still play. :)
Page: 1 of 1