Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

No 3D Hardware (safe mode)

Page: 1 of 1
 paulsjv
04-07-2002, 11:36 PM
Here's something strange and was wondering if anyone else had this problem and what you did to fix it.

Fist of all I went thought the entire trouble shooting guide about the video cards/drivers and I have everything I should be able to run the game right? Well when I go to the icon on my desktop (win2k) and click single player i get "There is no 3D Hardware Installed." So i run the system anayler and it says that I have no 3D Hardware install which is just a joke cause I have the drivers for the nVIDA Gefore 2 MX (the card is actually Hercules Prophet II MX but uses the nVIDA drivers that are in the trouble shooting guide).. anyway i got these drivers off the Hercules site and they are the same as what is said in the trouble shooting guide so I pretty much know that it should work right? well no it doesn't work.. I stell get the "No 3D Hardware Installed" error message. So I can't play the game..

However, if i click the start button and then go to Programs->LucasArts->blah blah i can choose to run the game in "safe mode" whatever that is.. and the game runs fine.. i was just wondering if there was a different between "normal mode" and "safe mode" and if there is anything i can do (beside contacting lucasarts support which i have already done) to fix my problem.

thanks...
 paulsjv
04-08-2002, 10:48 PM
bump
 [nWo]Braindead
04-09-2002, 3:01 PM
Same problem......Wonder if its Win 2k. I have a Ti500 (Asus V8200 GeForce 3).
 JediDrew
04-09-2002, 5:00 PM
Isn't safe mode software rendered? (i.e. doesn't use your video card)
 Exitium
04-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by JediDrew
Isn't safe mode software rendered? (i.e. doesn't use your video card)

Software mode still uses your video card, except that it doesn't use your card's 3d acceleration features. It uses the nv_mini driver (same thing Windows Desktop uses) or any other 2d program.
 Threetall
04-10-2002, 11:00 AM
I am in the same boat.

I think this game was completed last year and sat it in storgae for 8 months before release. Its out of date.
 WhiteChedda
04-10-2002, 3:25 PM
OK here is problem. No 3D device detected and you have an nvidia GF2 MX card, hmmm....

Let's see what the deal is then.....

Did you by any chance have a voodoo card before the GF2 MX?3dfx drivers have this infectious dll issue you have to clear up for games to realize your using another card sometimes.
 MATRF
04-10-2002, 8:20 PM
all have the same **** problem , IST SEAMS THAT IS A BUG WHIT WINDOWS2k WHAT A POOR QUALITY PRODUCT
 paulsjv
04-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by WhiteChedda
OK here is problem. No 3D device detected and you have an nvidia GF2 MX card, hmmm....

Did you by any chance have a voodoo card before the GF2 MX?3dfx drivers have this infectious dll issue you have to clear up for games to realize your using another card sometimes.
Yep I'm thinking it's a problem with win2k.. i just got an email from Lucas Arts Support people and they told me this:

You might want to try changing the hardware acceleration rate of
your graphics card in Windows 2000.

To do this:
Right-click on the Windows desktop and select "Properties" or go
to the Control Panel to access the Display Properties screen.

Select the Settings tab, click the Advanced button, and then
choose the Troubleshooting tab.

Adjust the Hardware Acceleration slider (you may want to try
lowering it one notch).

Once you have made the adjustment, select "OK", then
select "OK" on the System Properties window (you will then need
to reboot your system for the change to take effect).

After your system finishes rebooting, try running the game to
see if this has resolved the problem. You may want to experiment
with the various Hardware Acceleration slider settings to see
which one works best. Also, please be aware that adjusting this
option may affect other Windows programs, so you should reset
the rate to the original setting after you have finished playing the
game.

I did all that and still no luck.. :mad:
 squirtle
04-13-2002, 4:03 AM
I have a Hercules Geforce 2 MX as well. When I try to start the game I get the following error message: "This application has failed to start because MSVFW32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
 MATRF
04-17-2002, 9:51 PM
so is there a fix or somethings???
 teleguy
04-22-2002, 10:48 AM
If Win2k is the reason for the problem
http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/win2k_compatiblity/index.shtml)
might help.
 Brainpimp
04-25-2002, 10:24 PM
I am having the same thing. The only difference is lucas arts told me it was "This is more of a system specific issue with Direct X at the moment. Once this works without errors then we can fix the game. The video card company 'visiontek' should be able to help.

Oh, so it's a reference boards fault.. I call BS!

I have a visiontek GF 3 not OC'd running with a Non OC'd TBird 1.33 with 1.5G of ram. It the DAMN GAME!
 WhiteChedda
04-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Brainpimp
I am having the same thing. The only difference is lucas arts told me it was "This is more of a system specific issue with Direct X at the moment. Once this works without errors then we can fix the game. The video card company 'visiontek' should be able to help.

Oh, so it's a reference boards fault.. I call BS!

I have a visiontek GF 3 not OC'd running with a Non OC'd TBird 1.33 with 1.5G of ram. It the DAMN GAME!

Unless your error says no 3d sound found, that tech needs to be fired, JK2 uses OPENGL for 3D video acceleration, Directdraw MAY beused for 2d images such as the hud, but opengl handles the 3D. I wonder, does everyone have service pack 2 on thier w2k implementation?
 Brainpimp
04-26-2002, 12:07 AM
I couldn't agree more. All the sound is fine.
Yes I have service pack 2 loaded.
I have tried direct x 8.0a and 8.1.
I have tried 6-7 different drivers including the 23.11's.
I have the newest 4 in1's.
I have the newest SB live drivers.

I can play virtually every other major game out ther with no problem. Hell I play UT in GL mode for the high res textures.

Beta game.

Asshat trying to run me around to visiontek.
 Soruss
04-27-2002, 2:00 AM
Know what is really peculiar?

I have the same problem now. I was playing the game with no problems just two or three days ago, and just now it comes up with the no 3d hardware found error. I have done nothing different to my system except run microsoft word and counter strike.

I also have win2k; and a geforce 2 ti pro. I use the msi drivers off of their site... I was using the same drivers before hand.

I think the only thing i did was download some win2k updates from windows updates, but i removed all of those and tried jk2 again, and it did not work. What a pain in the ass.

I can run the individual executables but then i cannot change the gamma. It is really ****ed up.
 Brainpimp
04-27-2002, 11:30 AM
I downloaded the directx 2k file again from CNET and reinstalled. SUccess. I did have one unexplained glitch where it froze saving the game at a checkpoint point it was smooth sailing from there.

AS soo as I reinstalled the directx from the site. (I had done it from a copy of a file I had on my system 3 times) it found the 3d hardware and took right off.
 JediHowl
04-27-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by WhiteChedda

Yes, I did have a Voodoo3 card installed previously and I too am getting the "No 3D device detected" error. I'm running Windows XP Pro and now have an eVGA nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 installed. How do I get those #@$%& voodoo drivers/dlls off my machine? How do you know which ones?

Thanks in advance.
 teleguy
04-27-2002, 4:56 PM
Originally posted by JediHowl

Yes, I did have a Voodoo3 card installed previously and I too am getting the "No 3D device detected" error. I'm running Windows XP Pro and now have an eVGA nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 installed. How do I get those #@$%& voodoo drivers/dlls off my machine? How do you know which ones?

Thanks in advance.

Go to software in your control panel and look for an uninstall option.
If that doesn't work use the windows search function to search for *glide*.dll and delete all files that show up ( i. e. move them to your garbage pail in case you have to restore them later) . Do the same with *voodoo*.dll and *3dfx*.dll .
 WCwm
05-06-2002, 4:21 AM
Hello Everyone. I haven't tried the Voodoo thing yet, but I want to get one thing out of the way. I also have a Geforce 2 card; mine is a MX 400 made by VisionTek. I did have a voodoo2 card installed a while ago. The one idea I want to eliminate is the win2k theory. I am running Win98, so this can't be an error isolated to Win98. I have friends who have the same Geforce 2 card as I in their system, but they don't have the problems. Therefore, there may be some light to shed on the idea that the problem is the Old Voodoo cards, or maybe we have problems stemming from something completely different.

Well, with this I will try and get down to the bottom of this problem based on information posted so far. I will try to check out updating DirectX 8.0 to a newer version, even though if the game didn’t prompt you to update at 8.0 because it is supported. I will really look closely at this Voodoo problem, based on how it sounds very plausible with knowing that programs in the past have caused similar problems.

So, even though I wish someone was able to verify if any of these supposed solutions worked for people outside of the poster, I will see if I can help. By the way, I too was able to play in safe mode.

Ram: 384 Megs
Video Card: “NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400” with 64 Megs of ram
 WCwm
05-07-2002, 3:24 AM
Hello again.
I'm posting this time to tell all of you what results I got from trying out all of the different suggested solutions from this thread. First of all, I tried to remove all of my old Voodoo files in the manner specified by one of the posts (no more, no less). Then, I tried to update my DirectX from 8.0, to 8.0a, and then finally to version 8.1 to find that there was no solution that came from this. After that, I then decided to knock down my hardware performance from my graphics card to reveal that there still was no change in the error (just like it had been posted earlier in the thread, and I did set my performance back to optimum performance after the troubleshoot). Finally, I removed my graphic card drivers, and then reinstalled them to confirm that no new changes would occur.

-----------Conclusion from my current standing tests:------------------

*It seems doubtful that old Voodoo drivers effect JO (Jedi Outcast).

*If you are not prompted to update DirectX because you have a current version, then it is doubtful upgrading to a newer version will solve this "No 3D Hardware" problem (Unless further updates suggest otherwise).

*Win98 is susceptible to having this problem, as well as Win2k. This is due to my current operating system being Win98 (I've not tested the game on Win2k, I'm just using information posted on the thread).

*As mentioned before, lowering the performance of your graphics card does not appear to resolve the "No 3D Hardware" issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, if any of you find out that there is a solution to this issue, please give your insight to us so that having to use safe mode will not have to be a solution to this conflict. If you find that I have made errors in my own tests, please post them so that I can learn from my ways :) . Well, thanks for taking the time to read this, bye.
 WCwm
05-08-2002, 9:05 PM
Yes, that's right. I found a way to work around the no hardware issue. I will go into detail later about what I did exactly, but for now, all you need to know is that I went into the game directory and opened the Jedi Knight outcast "sp" exe directly. This opened up the game, and it is capable of you saving your controls and editing the resolution. This will hopefully solve the problem for us Geforce2 users , and all others, who have a card. Even though The game says otherwise. Catch you all later about 1AM or so, Bye (I have to go right now, I'm in a rush, that's why this is not detailed).
 WCwm
05-09-2002, 4:53 AM
Hello, Sorry that I did not post this sooner. Well, I would like to start off by mentioning that I've had just as much a hard time with this problem as I'm sure all of you have. I've been trying my best to uncover why we have been having this problem, but I couldn't Find out what it was. To no suprise to me, I'm still not sure why this error of "There Is No 3D Hardware Installed In Your System" occurs, even though I managed to work around it.

Well, Yesterday I was pedeling through the Forums again to see if I could find anything that could work to my advantage. I don't think I used the right process, but It was on my way to getting this whole problem to go away, so I'll post it anyways. I went to the thread on getting Voodoo5s to work, even though I don't have one (I was desparete). Here is the post I read
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"UrzaTRI
Bantha Fodder

HOW TO GET JKII TO RUN WITH A VOODOO 5
It should work with a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, but may take bit of tinkering.

When I first installed and ran the a similar game such as Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, none of the video sequences at the start would show and the menu system's text was so horribly corrupted that it made menu navigation impossible.

Heres how I fixed it:

1) I downloaded WickedGL from http://www.wicked3d.com/technology/wickedgl.htm) and installed it.

2) I went into the dir where I installed Medal of Honour: Allied Assault and found the exe file, and I renamed it quake3.exe

3) Then I ran the WickedGL control panel, and told it to look for the game Quake 3 in my Medal of Honour: Allied Assault dir.

4) It told me it had found a copy and asked me if I wanted to install the MiniGL driver there, so I clicked OK.

5) I closed the WickedGL control panel, went back into my Medal of Honour: Allied Assault dir and renamed quake3.exe back to its original name

Now when I run the game I get the WickedGL shareware message which says press 'C' to continue, and then the game works fine!

My PC is as follows:
PIII 700mhz
320MB RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
SB LiVE! Value
Windows 2000 Pro
DirectX 8.1

The game runs like a dream on my machine in 800x600x32

This should also work with Jedi Knight II seeing as though the graphics engine is also based on the Quake 3 engine. Give it a try and make sure you have the latest drivers for your card!!

Last edited by UrzaTRI on 03-26-2002 at 01:48 PM"

So, after reading this post, I then downloaded this program and tried to patch the "jk2sp.exe" that is located (for me) in

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData"

By renaming the jk2sp.exe to quake3.exe, and so forth as stated, I was able to patch the game for Voodoos. After renaming my new quake3.exe back to jk2sp.exe, I then tried to run it. Basicly, I saw the program try to go through all the scripts to load the game as normal (the console doing what it was supposed to do), but then it messed up because of the Voodoo thing.

After this little mishap, I then changed the jk2sp.exe back to quake3.exe so that I could remove the patch that the WickedGL had added to the game. Therefore, after I got rid of that wickedGL Voodoo Driver I renamed the quake3.exe back to jk2sp.exe again.

I then opened up jk2sp.exe the way it was before I screwed around with wickedGL and the game worked fine.

-------------What to learn from all this info you just read---------------

*you didn't have to read everything I just wrote when there is a simple way to get the game to work fine (assuming all that junk I did was for nothing).

*Step 1: Open up
"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData" if this is where "jk2sp.exe" is located.
OR
do a file search for jk2sp.exe (and open it this way)

*step 2: running the game this way should solve your problems. On the other side of all this, to use multiplayer, run jk2mp.exe instead.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think opening the .exe directly bypasses the game's ability to prevent you from playing the game. Based on how the game's little analysis that told you BS about there not being a graphics card in your computer.

Well, you should now be able to go through all your configurations and controls, and customize them to your liking. You may want to make some shortcuts to these programs that allow you to bypass the "no Hardware" problem, unless you want to have to open all the folders each time you want to play the game.

***Take note:*****************************************
I Had already updated to the newest version of Jedi Outcast before trying to open up the game in this new way.***********

I would like to know if anything I've written has helped any of you, or if you're still haveing problems. It would be nice if someone could sum up everything written, by seeing if my suggestions helps. If it does, then this thread should be able to be simplicated to plain,straight-forward english that everyone can understand.This would then help anyone who has come across the same difficulties.

I hope I've done more good than not on this thread because unless someone else needs any help, or feels that nothing i've written works, I would say that this thread is finished.

I'm sure that is probably not true, but It would be nice to think so, catch you all later, bye.
Page: 1 of 1