Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Red Alert 2

Page: 1 of 1
 Sherack Nhar
08-20-2001, 12:33 PM
Okay, in order to separate the RA2 discussion from the Post you Desktop thread, I'm creating this one.

Originally posted by Cillo Kwi'ley
They're too strong... especially the nuke and weather storm. Threr should be an option to play only with the chronosphere and the iron curtain (In the mod RA2 Aftermath you can have this). A friend once told me that a FFA with superweapons was great because there was such a tension, everyone having a superweapon ready, if he fires it, he puts the targeted player out of the game for a good amount of time but everyone else is gonna launch their superweapons on him. I tried it but I was too fast, nobody even had the time to build a superweapon but me. Guess who won...

It was boring because it was either too easy (for me) or too hard (for the others). Of course you can attack the other's base but I also had a great defense so it was, like they say in Mortal Kombat, a flawless victory.
The "others" he's talking about is me by the way.

Superweapons are very fun to play once in a while, and it somewhat prevents rushing, since veryone is tying to go up the technology tree as fast as possible to build their Chronosphere and such. The more player the more fun it gets. It breaks the usual tediousness associated with RTS after a while.

Now, I want to know who has Red Alert 2 here. Post your strategies here! What's your input on superweapons?
Maybe we could set up a game to hone our tactical skills before GB comes out.
 Paragon_Leon
08-20-2001, 12:57 PM
i got RA2.
i usually built quick tank-armies, supported by MPV's as repair-units and those ground-to-air-units that work great (but slow) against zeppelins. in a later stage, i would get prism tanks, have them defend against soldiers so they would upgrade fast, and then send three fully elite prism tanks with tank-backup to a base. Destruction guaranteed...
The only superweapon i cared about was the French Grand Cannon. It was the best anti-tank weapon in the game.
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-20-2001, 1:02 PM
I have RA2, the Soviet Apocalypse tanks are unstoppable. Although I like the allies! I don't really have any good strategies. I'm just one of those people who run around and act stupid just to annoy others (destroy havesters and such), come to think of it though, maybe I am the only one who does that. . .scary, huh. :eek:
 Sherack Nhar
08-20-2001, 1:16 PM
Leon, the Grand Cannon isn't a superweapon... it's just the exclusive building of France.
When I'm talking superweapons, I mean Chronosphere, Weather Storm Device, Iron Curtain, and Nuke.

thrawn12786, you are not the only one who does that... and Apoc tanks aren't as invicible as one might think; if you have the soviet, just clone some Yuris and they're done for. If you have the allies, be sure to pick either France of Germany, as the french Grand Cannon and the german Tank Destroyer is incredibly useful against apocalypses...
 Gamma732
08-20-2001, 1:52 PM
Strategic airstrikes. That was my big strat when I played it online, but I stopped a while ago.....the gameplay was a bit fast for my tastes. Either I'd get my horde of harriers wwwaaayyyyy before my opponent got anything even remotely offencive, or I'd get rushed and destroyed. Never had any really close games.
 Paragon_Leon
08-20-2001, 2:02 PM
goes to show how much i played RA2.. :D
ok, i actually didn't really use superweapons that much, apart from the occasional weather storm (somehow they seemed less powerful when used by a human player) and the iron curtain. I used Iron Curtain when i was under seige and a certain building was under fire.
 Cillo Kwi'ley
08-20-2001, 2:31 PM
I try not to really have a strategy I repeat every time, especially if I play 2 games in a row against the same person.

I sometimes let the ennemy spy my battle lab so this way he's gonna build only the special unit he gets and waste his money on it while I'm getting prepared for it.
 Tie Guy
08-20-2001, 3:28 PM
I try to sneak a spy into the barracks early and set up a large numbers of the now veteran GI's in defense along chokepoint, if they exist. Twenty or thirty or more is plenty to stop a couple a-tanks before they even get close. Then, when they are mostly all Elite GI's, i place strategic air strikes to take out troop defenses and some other buildings if poosible. Then, i move in and deploy my troops in the middle or outer fring of their base. I then bring in the tanks i have to clean up some of the bigger stuff and have also have a few more troops in reserve. If i need anything else, while i'm attacking i am continually making more troops to deal with what's left. I usually have at least 5 harvesters and often more. I don't play with superweapons. Oh, and i haven't play in a while, but this is what i used to do.
 Paragon_Leon
08-22-2001, 7:52 AM
one thing that bugged me about Red Alert 2 was the lack of resources. there simply seemed to be much less throughout the game. am i right on that ? can it be changed with the editor ?
 Sherack Nhar
08-22-2001, 10:08 AM
Well, if you take the Allies, yes, you are going to lack cash. The Chrono Miners only carry 300$ worth of ore per trek, compared to the Soviet's 900$! However, the Allies have a building that will increase the amount of money per trek (raises to 600), but it's still not as much as the Soviet.

That's why I like Soviet a bit better.

Hey, who's going to get the expansion pack, Yuri's Revenge?
 Darth_Rommel
08-22-2001, 12:56 PM
I own RA1, is RA2 significantly better? What changes are made in the sequel? :confused:
 crazy_dog
08-22-2001, 1:42 PM
Me, when I play RA2 I ussaully turn superweapons off. But when I do, play with superweapons, I use the same sort of plans (this is for Allies):
Build all structures, make a big army but keep it around your base instead of using it to attack. Then make lots of SpecForces (Tanya's, Spie's, Snipers and very experienced GIs) and put them all into the helicopters. Transport them near the enemy's base. Get the Spie's disguises ready, then use the Snipers to take out a lot of the Infantry. Get a Spie into a refinery, then bomb it. Finally use another Spie to cut the power, then use Tanya's to wreck havoc with the enemy's structures, with the Gi's and Snipers giving support fire.

Phew :) !
 Admiral Odin
08-22-2001, 4:08 PM
I plan on getting Yuri's Revenge.

My basic stragtegies in RA2. Depends upon the map (and I play the American side)

Say the map is an island.

I form my self a nice fleet. Usually 4 Carriers 20 Destroyers, and 2 Cruisers with a few dolphins (if playing against the soviets)

I then send the fleet so where it may launch fighters against the enemy. The Destroyers are positioned so where they bloke any subs from getting to the Carries, the curisers and next to the carriers in orderd to stop any air attacks. The carriers then attack power planets. Once the enemy power is destroyed I send in paratroopers and Tanya to destroy the con. Leaving the telsa coils (so that they consume all the power.

Now if there is not enough water for that I take to infintry. Tanks are used to protect the base. I mass huge amounts of infintry, and a few spies. First I take Jet pack troops and nail the enemy harvesters. No money means no threat. Then with a squad of Harriers I go in and decimate the con. While using a spy to cease the enemy power. I then move infintry in and take the base. (the planes take out the con, war factory)

If it is a city that Im fighting in I use squads of troops. Move from building to building until I am in reach of the enemy base. I then proceed with what I said above.

I don't like superweapons. Although I think it is hilarious to grab the enemy harvester and see if it can swim.
 Tie Guy
08-22-2001, 8:04 PM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar
Well, if you take the Allies, yes, you are going to lack cash. The Chrono Miners only carry 300$ worth of ore per trek, compared to the Soviet's 900$! However, the Allies have a building that will increase the amount of money per trek (raises to 600),

The chrono miner carries half of the soviet load, but takes it back in half the time, so it is equal (except for the gun). If you build a purifier it is up to 600 or so, and in half the time so it is 1/4 better than the soviets one. However, the allies units generally cost more than the soviets, or the troops do at least. So, iut is fair, but i still like the soviets better.

BTW, i'm never short on cash with the allies, i just build alot of harvesters. The only problem is that the troops don't build fast enough.
 Admiral Odin
08-22-2001, 8:13 PM
Allies units=a bit stronger then soviets so cost and build longer

Soviets=cheap mass produced units.
 darthfergie
08-22-2001, 8:22 PM
My favorite strategies...when I'm the Allies I don't focus on the Weather Storm Generator. I go for Chronosphere:D Transport miners into the merky ocean or pond;) Then at the same time grab a spy that is near and go for the money. If you get it you send a waiting force of tanks to attack:D THey arn't able to build any units at all. The only problem is if the computer has a nuke getting ready...well I have to go after it FIRST. The computer then starts selling off structures for money, but by then it is too late no amount of conscripts and teslas can repair the damge on the COnstruction yard that isn't there:D If my forces are then vanquished...it is then a waiting game of sorts. You have taken their only miner and...they are dead...If they have more than one miner...gear up another tank rush as soon as possible.:thrawn2:
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-22-2001, 8:32 PM
I like RA2 pretty much. It's a good game. It gets alittle boring with only two sides though. I'm glad GB is gonna have six. :D

Anyone heard what units will be in RA2: Yuri's Revenge?
 Admiral Odin
08-22-2001, 9:15 PM
with Yuri's Revenge a new side will be created

for unit information go here.

http://www.cncgames.com/y_xpackmain.shtml)
 Tie Guy
08-22-2001, 11:05 PM
Hmm, tanya and boris, i wonder where they got that from.

*cough*goldeneye*cough* oh, excuse me :D
 Admiral Odin
08-22-2001, 11:13 PM
easy way to defeat Boris bring some Vaca with you. He drop everything for a drink. ;)
 crazy_dog
08-23-2001, 1:30 PM
Are you talking about the Tanya and Boris in James Bond ?
 Darth_Rommel
08-23-2001, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Odin
Allies units=a bit stronger then soviets so cost and build longer

Soviets=cheap mass produced units.

hmmm... It's the other way around in RA1, it seems :(
 Admiral Odin
08-23-2001, 3:03 PM
But it is true. The soviet Union wanted mass produced weapons while the US wanted quality.
Page: 1 of 1