Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Books

Page: 1 of 1
 dvader07
08-17-2001, 7:29 PM
Hey guys, I am an avid star wars fan, and I love all the movies and the games that I have played. I got big into Jedi Knight, and GB sounds great so far. In reading all the different discussions in the forums I have a question for anyone who wants to answer. As mentioned above, I love the movies, but I have never got into the books. It sounds like there are some really great ones out there and I am thinking about trying a few out. If I were to pick a particular series, or a particular book to start with, what would be your recommendations for my first pick. Thanks for your help.
 Young David
08-17-2001, 7:34 PM
Well ... there are few good ones to start with.

- Heir to the Empire, the first written and one of the best
- X-Wing series (starting with Rogue Squadron)
- Shadows of the Empire (between ESB and RotJ ... gives more insight than the videogame and comicbook)

Those are good starters ...
 Boba Rhett
08-17-2001, 8:28 PM
Lets see.... Well, there's the Thrawn Trilogy, The Thrawn Trilogy and , oh yes, The Thrawn Trilogy.

The names of the three books are as follows:

Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

I would also check out The Courtship of Princess Leia after you read those.
 Kvan
08-17-2001, 8:35 PM
Only read the ones YD said! Don't polute your mind with the other SW books! :)
 Tie Guy
08-17-2001, 8:59 PM
Yes, you have to read the Thrawn Trilogy first, it is the mother of all star wars books. then read the Rogue Squadron series next, they are excellent. Then just go to the book store and pick out one that looks good. Then , after you've read a couple, read the Thrawn Duology, Spectre to the Past and Vision of the Future.
 Master Yoda
08-19-2001, 8:50 PM
Yes you MUST read the Thrawn Trilogy!! The Corillian Trilogy is pretty good too.
 Boba Rhett
08-19-2001, 9:02 PM
I'm in the middle of reading SotE and is it just me or does it not feel like the Star Wars universe? I think The writer, "Terry Brooks?" has some issues too.....
 Kvan
08-19-2001, 9:05 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
I'm in the middle of reading SotE and is it just me or does it not feel like the Star Wars universe? I think The writer, "Terry Brooks?" has some issues too.....
AH-HA! So I'm not the only one that thinks some of the SW books don't "feel" like SW! I knew I wasn't the only one! :D
 xwing guy
08-19-2001, 9:12 PM
The Thrawn triology, then the X-wing series, then the jedi academy series, then pick out the ones you want except the NJO, read those after the two Hand of Thrawn books then go into the NJO.
 Gamma732
08-19-2001, 9:14 PM
SotE isn't a GREAT SW book, even though it was the first SW book I read, myself. I'd strongly recommend Heir to the Empire(my 2nd or 3rd book ;) ) or anything Zahn(sp?) has written, he's a really good author in my opinion.
 xwing guy
08-19-2001, 9:29 PM
What does SotE stand for???:confused:
 Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 9:35 PM
Shadows of the Empire. I haven't read it yet though, so i can't give ya any advice.
 Kvan
08-19-2001, 9:37 PM
I'm still not really clear on SotE.....SPOILER.......Did Rendar die? I've heard some say yes, and others say no. Does anyone know for sure?
BTW When you read NJO, go in thinking its not a SW book, cause it does not feel like SW.
 Boba Rhett
08-19-2001, 9:41 PM
He better not have! *shakes fist angrily*
 Kvan
08-19-2001, 9:44 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
He better not have! *shakes fist angrily*
Didn't his ship get blown up though? I guess he could have gone into hyperspace at the last second.....
 Master Yoda
08-19-2001, 10:00 PM
I dont know. Ive read some SW books that just didnt feel like they fit in with the Star Wars universe. I agree though that Zahn is a great author the Thrawn Trilogy is my favorite series. Actually the NH,ESB,ROTJ book set I have isn't very good, It doesnt really go with the movies in some stuff.
 Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 10:19 PM
ok here's a goo thing to remember.

A movie made from a bookusually sucks, or is at least a lot different.

A book made from a movie always sucks.
 Kvan
08-19-2001, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
ok here's a goo thing to remember.

A movie made from a bookusually sucks, or is at least a lot different.

A book made from a movie always sucks.
Episode 1 book didn't suck! :mad:
 Master Yoda
08-19-2001, 10:31 PM
The Ep. 1 book was better than the Movie!!!!
 Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 10:57 PM
I thought it did.
 Kvan
08-20-2001, 12:30 AM
I thought it did.
Ok.....can I ask why?
 Gamma732
08-20-2001, 12:34 AM
I'd love to know if the book was as bad as the movie....Lets have some argueme--err...friendly discussion as to whats good and whats bad about them, to benifit those who may not have read the book(Me ;) ).
 Kvan
08-20-2001, 12:55 AM
Well I haven't read the book in awhile but what I did like about the book was you didn't have that awful actor playing Anakin! When I read what he said, it didn't sound so stupid like it did in the movie. Although in the book Artoo uses some stupid rockets to fly back onto a platform on Coruscant :(
 Gamma732
08-20-2001, 1:06 AM
Originally posted by Kvan
Well I haven't read the book in awhile but what I did like about the book was you didn't have that awful actor playing Anakin!

Hmm......Ever see Jingle All The Way? "Anakin" was the kid in that. He seemed good playing a young boy....but that probably has something to do with the fact it was a *normal* young boy...But I do agree, parts of the E1 script didn't sound quite right at times.
 Kvan
08-20-2001, 1:12 AM
I thought that boy in the Sixth Sense would have made a better Anakin.
BTW Gamma did you get your sig from rebellion?
 Gamma732
08-20-2001, 1:20 AM
The game rebellion? I've never played it. I got the smurve thing from a girl I know :D What ties it to rebellion?

Hmm....perhaps he would make a good Anakin, because he was also in "Pay it Forward", and he always seems to have that depressing personality about him, even when he's happy, its always there. That'd be a very good touch for Anakin. Kind of foreboding and ominous. That, and the kid's a great actor.

I find it funny that the Book thread has turned to movies while the movie thread has turned to books
 Kvan
08-20-2001, 2:02 AM
Oh, man I feel like an idiot! I meant where did you get your avatar. :) I have a pic exactly like it for Rebellion (the game)
Oh, yeah, I never noticed that the threads changed...hmmm.
;)
 Gamma732
08-20-2001, 2:08 AM
That's ok, now everyone knows I talk to girls. And that those girls watch Smurfs.....ugghhh ANYWAY, this is one of the public default avatars. Like I said a while ago, I neither have the knowledge of how to make an avatar nor graphics programs more advanced then paintbrush. So.......if anyone has a diff TIE Defender or a Zuckuss avatar tell me

I'm assuming you make yours yourself? Considering how much you change it
 Kvan
08-20-2001, 2:13 AM
"That's ok, now everyone knows I talk to girls." You talk to girls? Surely they don't talk back, do they?! ;)
I'll dig around for a Zuckuss for you. You know how to work your pm's right?
 Gamma732
08-20-2001, 2:23 AM
Of course they talk back, how else would they tell me to shut up? :rolleyes:

Anyway back on topic: Anyone looking to start reading EU/NJO books, I'd recommend reading the Thrawn trilogy first, or start from the beginning(Truce at Bakura) and go in chronological order, things will make the most sense that way. I'd also recommend reading The Hand of Thrawn duology before going into the NJO(as I believe someone said, most likely Kvan the only other guy on for the past 2 hours ;) ).

Some of my personal favorites are:
Thrawn Trilogy
Hand of Thrawn Duology
X-wing Series
The "Tales of the..." books....even though some of the tales make very little sense
 Paragon_Leon
08-20-2001, 8:55 AM
since most of the EU-books take place after RotJ, it would be best to start with the Thrawn-trilogy, but i believe one book (Truce At Bakura ?) takes place directly after Jedi (one day or so..) I have a lot of those books, but hardly any from the Rogue Squadron series. I'm going to check those out soon..
 Darth Vader
08-20-2001, 9:07 AM

Didn't his ship get blown up though? I guess he could have gone into hyperspace at the last second..... If you've beat the game on the Jedi difficulty you know if he died or not. If you haven't and want to know without beatiing the game you can PM me and I'll tell you.
 Boba Rhett
08-20-2001, 11:25 AM
You don't have to beat it on Jedi difficulty to see the alternate ending and even though I want him to have escaped, should we really believe what a game tells us? :confused:
 dvader07
08-20-2001, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all your suggestions. I just started reading Heir to the Empire. I am about half way through it, and it is pretty good so far. I would have to agree with those who said that Zahn is a good author, he seems to have captured the characters personallities pretty well. I would think it would be hard writting something based on a story already so developed, but he has done a good job.

Another quick question about EU stuff, I know a little bit of the story of Mara Jade, and where she ends up, but one thing that I can't figure out is how some of her story lines fit into the timeline. I am mainly refering to her appearing in Heir to the Empire (I am assuming this is her first apperance in the Star Wars Universe) and then her appearance in JKs expansion pack MoTS. There Katarn is training her as a jedi so that must be a while after Heir to the Empire. Also, where does MoTS fit in to the story line of her relationship with Luke (I would think that if they had a relationship Luke would have trained her).
 Kvan
08-20-2001, 1:02 PM
Heir to the Empire is Maras first appearance. Luke I believed tried to train Mara but she didn't really go along with it(they didn't really have a relationship until the end of the Hand of Thrawn duology). IMO She doesn't have what it takes to be a true Jedi. She is very much like Katarn in that they are force sensitive but don't have the stuff to be true Jedi. They are more the fringer type :)
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-20-2001, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by Gamma732
[B]Of course they talk back, how else would they tell me to shut up? :rolleyes:

At least you can talk to girls. :sweat: I'm much to afraid, I don't know why? :(

Anyway, I think that Zahn's books are the very best. In my opinion, no one writes better! :D
 Gamma732
08-20-2001, 1:27 PM
Originally posted by thrawn12786
At least you can talk to girls.

Whoa!! Someone believed me!! ;) Just think of them as people and not 'girls', then theres nothing to be worried about...besides, I'm a coward too.

Better get back to the topic ;) I've played JK, but never MotS(Was gonna get it but then I found out it was discontinued. :mad: ) I know parts of its story, etc, but whats the backstory to it? I don't mean the ending or anything but where on the timeline is it, whats the setting, etc?
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-20-2001, 1:31 PM
What does Mots mean? BTW what does IMO and RSF mean also? :confused:
 Kvan
08-20-2001, 1:35 PM
Originally posted by thrawn12786
What does Mots mean? BTW what does IMO and RSF mean also? :confused:
Well IMO means In My Opinion. I don't know what the other one means ;)
 Gamma732
08-20-2001, 1:44 PM
MotS=Mysteries of the Sith, the Jedi Knight(JK) expansion.

I have no clue what RSF is.
 Tie Guy
08-20-2001, 3:41 PM

Ok.....can I ask why?

Ok, sorry to go way back but......I think that all books based on movies are horrible coz it takes all the imagination out of it. When you read a book, you can imagine what is happening, an that makes for a great amount of interest in a Star Wars type books, as it is Sci-Fi. When you've seen the movie, you already know what happens, and what it looks like. that doesn't make for much suspense.

Ok, you really have to treat games apart from the EU. They don't always fit, coz you can't always make a game without taking alot of liberties. Therefore, some games fit ok, but others are totally seperate, coz they have to be. In Rebel Assault for example, do you think that a guy ran around shooting stormies in the base unitl he blasted out of the hanger. No, but what kinda game would it be if they just followed the movie, get it?
 Kvan
08-20-2001, 3:53 PM

Ok, sorry to go way back but......I think that all books based on movies are horrible coz it takes all the imagination out of it. When you read a book, you can imagine what is happening, an that makes for a great amount of interest in a Star Wars type books, as it is Sci-Fi. When you've seen the movie, you already know what happens, and what it looks like. that doesn't make for much suspense.

Ok, you really have to treat games apart from the EU. They don't always fit, coz you can't always make a game without taking alot of liberties. Therefore, some games fit ok, but others are totally seperate, coz they have to be. In Rebel Assault for example, do you think that a guy ran around shooting stormies in the base unitl he blasted out of the hanger. No, but what kinda game would it be if they just followed the movie, get it?
Oh, man you did go way back!
So you can't see different people playing say...Anakin in the epi.1 book? Because I sure can! Also have you ever read ESB? A lot was different then in the book (like yoda was blue, veers dies), I kind of like that. It's interesting and unexpected. You kinda don't know all that will happen in a SW book that was adapted from the movie since they do cut out scenes in the movie.
 dvader07
08-20-2001, 4:20 PM

I understand what you are saying as far as gameplay, but it was my understanding that LucasArts worked real hard at trying to keep the main storylines in line wiht the rest of the Star Wars universe.
 xwing guy
08-21-2001, 9:38 PM
somebody asked on the timeline of MotS. Well JK was 10 years after RotJ and MotS was a few years after JK. but IMO everything in MotS was just made up for the game and never took place in the star wars universe.
 Master Yoda
08-21-2001, 10:09 PM
I dont think anything in the JK or MOTS happened in the SW universe. I hope JKII will have smoebody like Luke in the Multiplayer and the single player, since they said they would have computer jedi fighting with u.
 xwing guy
08-21-2001, 10:28 PM
Yeah I think nothing in JK or MotS happened either b/c if seven dark jedi had come back that would have been BIG news to the galaxy especially when Jeric nearly got the power of the valley of the jedi. Also I'm pretty sure I heard Luke was gonna be in JK2 but I don't think your gonna have an in game sidekick.
 Boba Rhett
08-21-2001, 10:30 PM
Everything in JK happened in the Star Wars Universe as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure about MotS though.
 Master Yoda
08-21-2001, 10:31 PM
I reading sonewhere( I think it was IGN, maybe gamespot.) that you would have in game sidekicks!! Which if you do that would make the game really cool.
Page: 1 of 1