Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

playing behind a router

Page: 1 of 1
 SithMaster2003
03-28-2002, 9:14 PM
I have a cable modem and hooked up to my modem is my router. i have two computers pluged into the back of the router. now, my question is, will i have to manually put one of my computers outside of the internal firewall in order to play online, or will i be safe either way? honestly i dont care, as long as i can play. i dont have the game yet, but i am tweaking the little things in my machine to possibly make the game better. so, any help would be appreciated, thank you.
 arctic_series
03-28-2002, 9:19 PM
safe ?

so what is so dangerous about playing outside the firewall ?

people aren't going to bother to screw around with your pc's unless you're like important or a big company or something.

think of it this way. just think of all the people on single computers with no firewall what so ever. they can't tell the difference.
 oldi1knoby
03-28-2002, 9:21 PM
As long as you also have virus protection, the router is kinda pointless.

Unless you are a CIA agent working incognito to infultrate the Jedi Outcast Forums....
 SithMaster2003
03-28-2002, 9:21 PM
i am just a paranoid computer geek.

actually i was just wondering if i should take the time to move my computer outside of my firewall??? i would think i would have to, but i wasnt sure. i just dont want the internal firewall on the router to mess with my mp gaming.

as far as the router being pointless, i am using it because i dont want to have two computers on one cable modem so i wont have to pay for 2 ip addresses.
 arctic_series
03-28-2002, 9:23 PM
Originally posted by oldi1knoby
As long as you also have virus protection, the router is kinda pointless.

Unless you are a CIA agent working incognito to infultrate the Jedi Outcast Forums....

lol virus protection is pretty useless.

only the new viruses do anything, and new viruses doesn't get picked up before it's too late.

with enough common sense you would know what to and what not to download with enough experience.
 arctic_series
03-28-2002, 9:25 PM
Originally posted by SithMaster2003
i am jsut a paranoid computer geek.

actually i was just wondering if i should take the time to move my computer outside of my firewall??? i would think i would have to, but i wasnt sure.

bah you shouldn't be.

no one is bored enough to hack individual citizens. only people that have a grudge against you might do something like that. otherwise you're probably not important enough for anyone to screw you around. ;)

just turn off the firewall.
 gab_paq
03-28-2002, 9:27 PM
"lol virus protection is pretty useless"

hum... I'm using Norton antivirus and it already saved my ass from 2 trojans, and 1 other virus i cant recall the name... For people like who massively download stuff from the net, the threat IS here and antivirus are there for a purpose... just tought i'd defend the cause ;)
 arctic_series
03-28-2002, 9:39 PM
hum... I'm using Norton antivirus and it already saved my ass from 2 trojans, and 1 other virus i cant recall the name... For people like who massively download stuff from the net, the threat IS here and antivirus are there for a purpose... just tought i'd defend the cause

virus protection proggies are only for less experienced net users.

any experienced net user would know much better than download from unreliable sources...

otherwise virus protection is just a resource hogger. :)
 Cray
03-28-2002, 10:19 PM
Just so you know, you're safe playing with the router.

I have a similar setup, and I just played my first on-line MP game with no problem at all.
 Torquemada
03-28-2002, 10:21 PM
If your running a PC without a virus program, your only showing how little you know about the internet.

As for the firewall, your probably ok without it, depending on where you spend your time online. Mainstream surfing is pretty safe, but if you spend much time in say IRC, you would do well to protect yourself because you give a lot of info up in a place like that.

Oh, and as for people not caring about you because your not a big company or the government or what ever BS these guys are spouting. Sounds like a logical argument doesn't it. I'm glad only logical people are using the internet. Any of you ever hear of a DoS attack. Where do you think the multiude of IP's are coming from to pull something like that off? It's not all big corporations.
 StormHammer
03-28-2002, 10:24 PM
As this is more of a technical question to do with the game, I'm moving this thread to the Tech Help forum. ;)
 arctic_series
03-28-2002, 10:25 PM
Oh, and as for people not caring about you because your not a big company or the government or what ever BS these guys are spouting. Sounds like a logical argument doesn't it. I'm glad only logical people are using the internet. Any of you ever hear of a DoS attack. Where do you think the multiude of IP's are coming from to pull something like that off? It's not all big corporations.

what you said does not make sense.
 Moridin
03-29-2002, 12:41 AM
Here's my question: With Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I had to set up my port forwarding in my router to pull the server list down for multiplayer, what are the ports JKII uses to pull down the server list? I'm behind a Linksys router, and I need to know otherwise I can't pull down a server list for multiplayer. Thanks!
 Jorusall
03-29-2002, 12:47 AM
Last night i had 50 breakin attempts on my computer, caught by my firewall. Never say never, because you won't know it before it's too late, and then it DID actually happen to you :) ... the ordinary guy.
 Sleestak
03-29-2002, 12:55 AM
I also have a cable modem. I've been playing through my router no problem and without tweaking or opening any ports. I have a D-Link 704P router.
 Torquemada
03-29-2002, 5:05 PM
It's called sarcasim arctic, maybe when your older you will understand.
Page: 1 of 1