Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which GeForce card is the equal to my Voodoo 5 5500?

Page: 1 of 1
 Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 5:59 PM
I've got a Voodoo 5 5500 and it's obvious that I'm going to have to convert to a GeForce card soon. I know what the best ones are, but it's also a matter of money I don't have. I'm curious which GeForce card can give me at least equal results to my Voodoo 5 card.
 Chiles4
03-28-2002, 7:43 PM
I'd say a GTS or a Pro would give you similar results. But I'd get a LEAST a GF2 Pro if not more. I'll be using a Kyro 2 when I load JK2 tomorrow morning. It has given me fantastic results with games so far. It's performed as good as a GF2 Pro and I just picked up my second Hercules Kyro 2 for $60 US.
 Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 8:39 PM
Well, I've got the game installed now and it works great with my Voodoo 5. I'm limited to 640x480 (real smooth) and I can only use simple shadows instead of volumetric ones, but other than that I'm maxed out. I wouldn't mind having a better card though. What's the deal with GeForce 3's? Is it worth buying one now or should I just wait until the GeForce 4 TI series come down?
 littleboynb
03-28-2002, 8:57 PM
no, buy a geforce3... u can get a geforce3 ti200 for $164 US... it isnt worth buying geforce4 ti series card because by time games get advantage of geforce4's technology, there would be cheaper cards that support geforce4 tech. for me, i never buy top of line hardware cuz they get obsolete very fast.

just my 2 cents.
 Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Is the GeForce 3 TI 200 the best of the GeForce 3's? How much better is it than my Voodoo 5?
 Jorusall
03-29-2002, 12:52 AM
The Geforce 3 ti200 is an underclocked version of Geforce3, which actually has more potential than said card, since you can overclock most of the to200's to ti500 spec.

You can see here, that the ti200 is performing alot better than a geforce3 card when tweaked properly. It's the thing to do.

http://gamershq.madonion.com)

GF3 ti200 is cheap, it kicks ass, and will rock your Voodoo5 5500 be sure of that : )

With an amd XP1600+ processor you'd be running at 1280x1024, 32bit, with max settings, at 70-80 fps, sometimes up to 120 fps, especially on multiplayer maps, which is pretty nice.
 Nickeleye
03-29-2002, 1:18 AM
Let's see if I understand correctly. Most GeForce 3 TI 200's can be overclocked to match the speed of a TI 500 and will kick my Voodoo 5's ass, correct? Also, what brands do you reccomend?
 Nickeleye
03-29-2002, 4:57 PM
BUMP

Which brand of GeForce 3 TI 200 would you recommend?
 SnowHeart
03-29-2002, 5:06 PM
Speaking only from personal experience and talking only about brands as opposed to specific cards...

I had a great card from Hercules that I liked very much (it was pretty, too!). I've never heard anything but good words about Herc cards.

VisionTek makes decent cards at a decent price, but the first card I bought from them was a dud. Was supposed to be about 3x better than the card I was replacing, but there was absolutely no difference--in fact, it was worse... prompted me to buy a VisionTek GeForce 3, which has since performed beautifully. So, I've got mixed opinions about VisionTek.

If I were you, I'd go to a bunch of websites, searching for hardware reviews, print out the comparison charts, go to some websites and find out pricing information, and go from there. It will serve you much better than anecodotal testimony from any of us. It'll take more time, but you'll be happier with your purchase.
Page: 1 of 1