Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Framerate Issues With Projected Shadows?

Page: 1 of 1
 mamovaka
03-28-2002, 3:58 PM
Hi, I have a AMD xp1900+ with 512 ddr and geforce 4 ti4600

When I play this game at max detail with projected shadows on I see a noticeable framerate hit with many units on screen.

It also seems like the shadows are just not drawn correctly, can anyone test this and tell me if they also seem some wierd shadows and bad fps here?
 Outlaw
03-28-2002, 10:17 PM
I hear others, including myself, are having the same problem with these optional shadows when using different types of Geforce cards. I was supprised the problem also occurs with the Geforce 4. Unless its a driver issue this shadow option is not worth it. They look fake and blocky plus bog down the game. I use the simple shadows and the game looks and runs great.
 StormHammer
03-28-2002, 10:29 PM
As this thread is dicussing an issue with one of the game settings, I'm going to move it to the Tech Help forum. :cool:

I have to say...I initially tried the game with Volumetric shadows turned on, and it was fine for a while...but then, as you say, when several enemies appear, it started to slow down quite a bit. Of course, I don't have such a well-specified system to run it on. ;) There also appear to be a couple of clipping issues with the shadows...I saw a couple projected through the floor from above, and my framerate went right down. I too am now using Simple Shadows and it's running fine.
 Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 11:03 PM
I noticed the exact same thing as StormHammer. I only have a Voodoo 5, but I've got it almost totally maxed out. I too am using simple shadows (although, man, I wish I could use volumetric shadows) and I'm running it at 640x480. Maybe it's just a matter of Raven developing a patch for the issue :confused:
 harmony
03-29-2002, 5:16 AM
Of course you will see a frame rate hit.

Projected shadows draw another model of the character.

That's how they work.

So with Projected shadows turned on you are drawing double the amount of characters (the shadow is probably a lower polly model, but it's a model non the less.)
Page: 1 of 1