Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Please Help - Can't Install JK2

Page: 1 of 1
 DrGoody78
03-28-2002, 2:34 PM
Hello everyone. I just recieved my copy of JK2 in the mail an hour ago, and as of yet I still can't even get the game to initialize so I can install it.

Every time I put the CD into my CD drive I can hear the CD starting to run, then it just cuts out, and my entire computer locks up. I haven't even been able to do anything with the game, because every time I put it in my computer locks up.

Anyone have any ideas? My computer is running Windows ME, P4 1.4 GHz, 64 Mb GeForce2, 256 Mb RAM, and I believe I'm running the most up to date drivers for everything.

Thanks in advance.

-DrGoody78
 The_Enforcer
03-28-2002, 3:12 PM
I can't install jedi knight II either. My problem is whenever the autorun [I think] comes into effect, it "performs an illegal operation." Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
 Indy4
03-28-2002, 4:01 PM
Originally posted by The_Enforcer
I can't install jedi knight II either. My problem is whenever the autorun [I think] comes into effect, it "performs an illegal operation." Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

EXACLTY MY PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!

i want to play!!!

SEYA
 Chiles4
03-28-2002, 4:29 PM
I'm guessing here but if JK2 is using one of the copy-protection schemes like SafeGuard or whatever, it most likely means that your CD-ROM drive cannot read the CD because of the copy-protection. I'm not sure if this is the case here because I don't know yet if Lucasarts used a copy-protection scheme. But, this happens every time a new game comes out. I have a few games that my none of my CD-ROM (or CD-RW) drives can read. Usually, and I say usually, you can install the game but then cannot play it when the game goes to verify that you have the CD in the drive.

The only solution was to locate a NoCD patch or use a different cd, cd-rw, or dvd drive. (Actually since I'm afraid I'm going to have a problem I've already located one - but this only helps if you can install the game in the first place!) I've had the most success with brand new DVD-ROM drives. I don't think anyone's putting out "new technology" CD-ROM drives now so getting another simple CD-ROM drive probably wouldn't work.

Try the game on other CD-type drives you have lying around and see if that drive can read JK2. As I said, I'm guessing here but this is exactly the same symptoms as when other new games have come out.

When Rune came out, it was a disaster as so many people couldn't read the CD. Someone said that they had success with a freeware utility from "Nero" at www.ahead.de) that could be used to slow down your CD-ROM drive to a slower speed. I tried it but I still couldn't get NOLF to work.
 MoopMeep
03-28-2002, 4:35 PM
if autorun is causing the crash then why not try running jedioutcast.exe from the cd directly? Or you could try running setup.exe from the gamedata directory to launch the installer.
 Indy4
03-28-2002, 4:40 PM
same error happens!!!!!!!
 Chiles4
03-28-2002, 5:04 PM
How about copying the entire contents of the CD to a directory on your hard drive and try installing from there. It's still doubtful but that may allow you to install the game successfully. Afterwhich, you'd have to refer to my other post to actually play the game.
 Darth Abbadon
03-28-2002, 5:36 PM
Like you DrGoody78, my copy of Jedi Outcast arived at my doorstep not long ago (along with the free shirt). Read through the manual (which may come as a shock to all the people who just pop it in and then ask in a MP game "How do I [insert question here]", then get upset when you say "RTFM!").

Ermmm, I digress. Anyways, tried installing the game. Started up just fine and started installing. Near the end of the installation, I got a major error dealing with Kernel32. So I tried uninstalling because of the error. This resulted in a swarm of error messages. Seeing that wasn't going to work, I manually removed what had been copied to my HD. So I try installing again (after a reboot). A question window comes up asking "Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of it's components?". I click on yes and a couple windows flash open and shut, and I get a window saying that maintenance is complete. Thinking that maybe I missed some files from manually removing what was installed, I accept this in stride. I reboot, and try installing again. Same question window comes up. This happens everytime I try to install now. I read through this forum and saw the suggestion to copy the entire CD to my HD. Tried installing again. Same question box, etc. I'm at a loss as to what the heck to do now.
 Indy4
03-28-2002, 6:01 PM
is there a way to manually install?
you can play the game within the cd by

D:\GAMEDATA\GameData\jk2sp.exe

SEYA
 Chiles4
03-28-2002, 6:36 PM
DA, I'm guessing that you're using Windows XP, right? I've never seen anything like that in Windows 98 as it doesn't care as much about trashed installs or uninstalls. I'm thinking you're going to have to enlist an XP expert on your problem - sounds like something's stuck in the registry.
 Indy4
03-28-2002, 7:02 PM
windows 98

SEYA
 Chiles4
03-28-2002, 7:38 PM
Windows 98
Who you or DA? I was thinking that DA was getting that strange message from XP.

JK2 just arrived today thanks to EB's shipping even faster than they promised. I wouldn't get a chance to load until tomorrow morning. I'll put money on it that that my plain old Aopen 52x CD-ROM drive wouldn't be able to install it but I hope my Lite-On burner will (it's newer).

I downloaded a few utilities to detect the copy protection scheme that JK2 uses. They're a little old but if I get a meaningful answer I'll post it.
 Indy4
03-28-2002, 7:52 PM
me!!

SEYA
 Indy4
03-28-2002, 8:06 PM
is there a program that can install the game or extract the files to the hard drive?

SEYA
 Kolreth
03-28-2002, 9:44 PM
What you do, is copy the files fro, the cd to the HD, and then run setup in the gamedata directory. The launcher program is what's killing your pcs.
 Darth Abbadon
03-28-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Chiles4

Who you or DA? I was thinking that DA was getting that strange message from XP.
I am guessing that you are refering to me when you say DA. It's strange seeing myself with this name, as I use a completely different one most of the time. Thought it appropriate to have a proper name for whenever I get to play online.
Anyways, to answer your question, I am still running win98. Just let me know if you need to know any type of specs (though I doubt it because as you said, it sounds like something is hung up in the registery).

Edit: Whoops forgot to say that the launcher works just fine for me and that I did try running the game setup from the gamedata directory.
 The_Enforcer
03-29-2002, 12:31 AM
Okay... so I got JK II to install after about two hours with my computer shutdown. [You know give it a break, tidy up the space around it, buy it flowers and apologize up and down... it's almost as bad as a woman] But, it doesn't want to install all the multiplayer components, I just found out. Single player works fine, is there anyway to just pull off the multiplayer files? I already tried un- and re- installing the game with the same results.

Why must I be deprived of my star wars loving!?!

... um.... be a pal and pretend you didn't hear that, ok?
 Indy4
03-29-2002, 2:04 AM
Originally posted by Kolreth
What you do, is copy the files fro, the cd to the HD, and then run setup in the gamedata directory. The launcher program is what's killing your pcs.

how do you do that?
could ya explain that in detail?

SEYA
 Darth Abbadon
03-29-2002, 3:45 AM
After much poking and proding at the registery, I was finally able to get the game to install.
I must warn those of you who haven't been able to install yet not to mess with the registery unless you know what you are doing, as you could very well completely screw up your system.
Well, it's time to play. See you on the servers after I finish the SP game.
 Chiles4
03-29-2002, 1:09 PM
Good job, Darth Abbadon!

Indy4, you need to go into Windows Explorer and create a folder on your hard drive. Then click on the CD drive in the left pane. This will show you all the directories in the JK2 CD in the right pane. "Drag a box" over EVERYTHING in this right pane to highlight all items. Then right-click on the highlighted items and drag to your new folder in the left pane. When the little context menu comes up, click on Copy. When done, close out Windows Explorer.

Go Start, Run, and Browse to your new folder. Double-click on the SETUP.EXE to load JK2.
Page: 1 of 1