Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Problems with the voodoo cards

Page: 1 of 1
 ElectroWaffle
03-27-2002, 10:22 PM
if you have a voodoo card, i will go ahead and say dont waste $40 bux on the game unless you feel like having to restart your comp alot.

it is ridiculous.
the text messes up all the time and if you die comp must be restarted because of some error. i have confirmed this with other JK2 players who use Voodoo on servers.

btw if you are wondering. Bought game in london and flew home. i loved my spring break. One of the few americans with a non warezed copy :D
 Nickeleye
03-27-2002, 11:30 PM
Which Voodoo card did you try?
 Frumpus
03-27-2002, 11:52 PM
I'm very curious too!! (Voodoo5 5500 here). Which card? And which drivers? And which vers. of DirectX? 8.0a? 8.1? Do tell. Do tell.

Have you ever had problems with other games crashing?
 Nickeleye
03-27-2002, 11:56 PM
GUESS WHAT?! Great news for us Voodoo owners (at least for Voodoo 5 5500 owners that I know of). I just read a thread in here that fixes the problem. Here's the URL:

READ THE POST (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34929)

I just did it with Medal of Honor and it fixed it perfect :D
 Coligeon
03-28-2002, 12:43 AM
Also, try getting a different set of drivers. Compatibility is key I would imagine. I used these drivers at omegacorner.com for my voodoo 3 and found them to be the best. They were very customizable. Worth checking out. Good luck to you all ^_^.
 shiva99
03-28-2002, 1:46 AM
Originally posted by Coligeon
Also, try getting a different set of drivers. Compatibility is key I would imagine. I used these drivers at omegacorner.com for my voodoo 3 and found them to be the best. They were very customizable. Worth checking out. Good luck to you all ^_^.
Can you confirm that the drivers at omegacorner.com will make a voodoo 3000 work with JKII ?

thanks
 ReaperFett
03-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I need confirmation too. I can play SP alright, but the text screws in MP, and must be the Voodoo 3 3000
 GarbageCanDroid
03-28-2002, 12:28 PM
THANKYOU VERY MUCH!! I signed up for this forum just to say thanks.

Wicked GL and your clever idea renaming as quake3.exe fixed all my problems for my Voodoo 4500.

Methinks the industry is trying to get us to buy new vid cards sooner than is actually necessary. There's no reason for 3dfx cards to not be able to use all GL related code.

I still might get a GeForce 3 Ti after the GeF4 Ti's come out (ie. when the price drops).

Thanks again for your post!

Too bad I'm a zombie at work today b/c I played the single player until 4:30 AM haha.
 AsgarD
03-28-2002, 12:46 PM
hi,

i got a Voodoo 4 4500. I just bought the game today

But when i enter the game, the sky is completly screwed up. Its unplayable(the performance is fine btw). I had the same problem with Star Trek Elite force.

I installed this wicked GL thing(like u said, rename into quake3.exe etc), but it doesnt help. The sky is still screwed up.

Please help me, cause i wanna play this awesome game:(

thanks

AsgarD
 Raziel
03-28-2002, 1:19 PM
Try turning of the treading. I think thats what it is called. I believe thats what fixed the sky for me. I can't tell you for sure cause I am at school
 emorog
03-28-2002, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by GarbageCanDroid
Methinks the industry is trying to get us to buy new vid cards sooner than is actually necessary. There's no reason for 3dfx cards to not be able to use all GL related code.

other than Voodoo cards have a max texture size of 256 so you'll be missing out on a LOT of texture detail. and they're NOT fully openGL compatible. (i.e. no dest alpha), and they're super slow at reading back the zbuffer...

i'm curious if you can read the opening text crawl okay, since it's a 1024 texture. or does the wickedGL drivers somehow make that work?
Page: 1 of 1