Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ASUS 7700 card & Win XP

Page: 1 of 1
 CDWizKid
03-27-2002, 10:00 PM
Hi All,

From what I understand, the Jedi Knight II game will run off of the quake 3 engine? Here's the problem that i'm not looking forward to:

A while back I tried running Quake 3 with my Asus V7700 GeForce 2 card and Windows XP. Every time I tried to run it I kept getting an error that said it couldn't start the OpenGL subsystem. Asus didn't have any XP drivers and still don't have any that I can see.

Are there generic GeForce 2 GTS drivers out there that are better than what comes bundled with Windows XP?

Is it likely this problem will occur with JK II ??

Any thoughts or ideas (aside from "upgrade your video card") would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 JaNg0
03-28-2002, 12:53 AM
I'm not much of a computer guy.. My suggestion is that you loose the Asus standard drivers and get the detonator drivers for your system (XP).. Or you could ask the guys on the forum on this page for help.. You can also get the new drivers here too...

http://guru3d.com/)
 GFresh2k2
03-28-2002, 3:25 AM
You can always find nVidia base drivers at there website for all nVidia chip based cards at their website http://www.nvidia.com)
Normally card makers will have there own set of drivers for specific cards, they are all based on nVidia drivers, but you cant go wrong with the norm.
 CDWizKid
03-28-2002, 4:53 PM
Well the thing is that XP didn't actually use any Asus drivers for the card. XP just assigned it some generic NVIDIA GeForce 2 drivers.

I'm going to try both of your suggestions tonight though and see if either one works for me.

I'll reply later and let you know how I made out.

:fett:
 CDWizKid
03-28-2002, 8:03 PM
I've tried the Detonator drivers from the Nvidia web site but I still get the same error message about the Open GL subsystem.

I am now using the Detonator drivers in my machine with no luck in Jedi II.

Any other thoughts?
 JaNg0
03-30-2002, 3:47 AM
Just a thought.. When you installed windows XP did you have another brand of video card in at the time i.e Voodoo, or ATI.. I wonder if you have a driver conflict in which it is trying to grab both drivers at the same time.. I remember when I had my old Voodoo card, I thought I uninstalled all the drivers but it didn't for some reason and the only thing that got rid of them was a clean install.. There is probably a way you could get rid of remaing old drivers if indeed this was the case through the system registry but I don't go in there.. LOL.. I really don't wanna mess with that stuff..

I really hope someone else can help more.. I'm not much of a computer guy, but sometimes a clean install of windows does the trick..

:jango:
Page: 1 of 1