Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Installing an AGP slot? (help)

Page: 1 of 1
 Kx_Dra_Sycdan
03-27-2002, 4:05 AM
A friend just gave me his Geforce3 Ti 200 *sweet* anyway he neglected to tell me it was an AGP card (i only have PCI slots on my MOBO) I would like to know if it's worth installing a AGP slot (if it's even possible) and if so can you tell me if it's expensive, and perhaps you could link me to some helpful sites. :o

some things you might need to take into concideration :

my system specs.

AMD 1.4 ghz proccesor
512 mb ram
40 gb HD
and an Intergrated S3 savage graphics card

so i'll have to disable that wimpy card through my BIOS (if i even can) before i can install the new one.

Now i assume alot of people on this forum are pretty advanced when it comes to this sort of thing, so if anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it. (can't let such a great video card go to waste ya know)
 Saber_Trails
03-27-2002, 4:38 PM
help i dont know if i have agp or pci and my friend said i have pci but the compaq tech support guy emailed me and told me i have an intergrated agp slot wtf does that mean!? help!!
 Torquemada
03-27-2002, 5:31 PM
Saber_Trails - Integrated AGP means you have a video card built into the motherboard that meets the AGP standard. It does not mean you have an AGP slot.

Kx_Dra_Sycdan - The only way to get an AGP slot is to replace the motherboard.

Hate to the bearer of bad news, but I don't think ether of you have any option other than a new MoBo.

:violin:
 JaG|Kaiser
03-27-2002, 6:06 PM
I'd check a site like newegg.com for good prices on motherboards. It looks like you already have a pretty good setup. Change out the MB, put in the new card, and you'll be good to go.
 Saber_Trails
03-27-2002, 7:17 PM
when i put a PCI Radeon 7000 64mb card in the PCI slot, the monitor kinda turns off. The little light indicator turns a brown color but its not really off its just inactive or something. Anytime this card is in my slot I cant do anything until i remove it. Ive already disabled onboard video and Im using a standard VGA right now and running at 640x480 so someone please help me with this. I need expert advice.
 Chiles4
03-27-2002, 8:26 PM
Dudes, keep in mind that if your board only has PCI slots, then chances are it's pretty ancient, and chances are the PCI slots are not up to the spec of today's newer video cards.

Even with AGP, if your mainboard with AGP slot is old, like a socket 7 system, most modern AGP video cards will not work in it!

Probably the best video card that possibly will work on older systems is the GeForce 2 MX.

I have no idea what kind of systems you guys have but keep in mind if they're proprietary like a Compaq, Dell, etc. it may not be possible for you to upgrade the motherboard.

Also keep in mind that if have a custom-built (home made) system, there are alot of other things that have to go with your new modern motherboard like DDR memory, a beefy high-quality power supply, a new cpu, etc.

If you have any more questions about upgrading, feel free to post here.
 Saber_Trails
03-27-2002, 8:49 PM
my comp is only like 1-2 years old its a 700 mhz p3 with 128mb ram and it isnt supporting a radeon 7000 64mb? thats really really lame! now i have to buy a crappy card instead... :(
Page: 1 of 1