Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Year 3 Stuck on the converyor belt after finding Glottis

Page: 1 of 1
 cth11
03-26-2002, 6:15 PM
Hi all,

I am stuck on the conveyor belt after finding glottis in Year 3 at the edge of the world. I crawl up anchor line, crawl up the edge of the belt and as soon as I get to screen where the conveyor belt lever is, the belt whips me back to the hanging at the edge again. I am sure there Is a simple way. Any help would be great!

Chuck H.
St. Paul, MN
 MeddlingMonk
03-27-2002, 1:20 AM
Unfortunately, there's a speed issue here, one that only showed up when processors started closing in on 1 GHz. What you can try to do (and your chances of success depend on just how fast your machine is) is to crawl up holding down the shift key so that when the screen changes Manny will start off running. If he does move away from the right side of the screen, turn him toward the left while still running. The idea is to have him run toward the left side of the belt where he'll jump off by himself.

If that doesn't work you have only one choice: reload a save from before going on the belt. After doing that, make sure that the belt is running downwards (that is, toward the edge) and then leave it alone. You don't really need to discover Glottis (not finding him won't keep you from finishing).

I can't emphasize enough that it is vital that the belt be running downwards. If not, this speed issue with combine with a bug that will stop you dead. But if the belt is moving in the right direction you'll have no problems.
 cth11
03-27-2002, 1:38 AM
It worked! Thanks a ton for the help.
 MeddlingMonk
03-28-2002, 12:40 PM
:D
 Nadine
04-04-2002, 9:16 PM
Hello. I'm so glad I found these forums and this topic! This is EXACTLY what happened to me too. I have a 1.6 GHz machine, and I found Grim Fandango for cheap at Future Shop, and I love adventure games so I decided to get it. A very cool game indeed.

So, finding Glottis or helping him get the ship working is not required? The bug did seem to trigger once I made the conveyorbelt go up, and the bug made it so Manny still gets swept back by the current. So I'm not screwed - I can continue?

Is it possible there will be more bugs later that may cause more problems? Do I really need the patch? It doesn't seem to do anything but take space. Also the bugs fixed in the patch I never came across in the first place, and my copy already allows text to be displayed during cinemas. So, maybe I can delete the patch?
 MeddlingMonk
04-05-2002, 12:35 AM
I sent you a private message on the Adventure Gamers forum. You could check that although it pretty much restates the stuff in this thread.

You can't uninstall the patch. You'd have to remove the game and then reinstall it...but you don't want to do that. The High Roller elevator puzzle in year two is impossible without it (if your machine is faster than 400 MHz). And the patch also fixes a lot of potential crashes in year three. Although...I wonder. I suppose they might have updated the new CDs so that the patch is unneccesary. If you applied the patch after you had finished year two then that would prove that they did. Either way, don't worry about the patch.

And, yes, you can continue. Just make sure the belt is running down towards the edge and then leave it alone. It's important later on but if it's running in the right direction there won't be any problems.
Page: 1 of 1