Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bah, I can't play.

Page: 1 of 1
 Thrik
03-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Okay, I use the sexy autorun menu to play. NOTHING happens.. at all.

I then go into my GF folder to try grimfandango.exe. You want to know what happens? "CHORE.DLL is not a valid Windows image" in a nice dialogue box, then is closes down.

This is really annoying me. I have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it.. as a note I'm on WindowsXP.
 MeddlingMonk
03-02-2002, 9:20 PM
Well, you might try fiddling with that compatibility wizard XP is supposed to have. Or go the dual-boot route. Or buy an older machine for older games.

In other words, pick a tooth and start pulling.
 Metallus
03-03-2002, 1:47 AM
I say we start gunning for a second patch; one to improve compatibility on ME and later computers as well as giving better 3D support. On my machine (well, when I have working Grim CDs), the models disappear when I enable 3D hardware support.

Petition, anyone? :~~~~)
 MeddlingMonk
03-03-2002, 10:30 AM
There's also a speed issue with the conveyor belt on machines with processors 700 MHz and above.
 Tall Guy
03-04-2002, 4:43 PM
does the patch not fix that? cos i find alot of people complain about problems concerning the belt thing
 Metallus
03-04-2002, 5:36 PM
The patch didn't seem to change my 3D situation.
 MeddlingMonk
03-04-2002, 11:12 PM
No, the patch doesn't take care of the belt problem. As far as I can remember, that didn't show up as a problem until processors started closing in on 1 GHz...which was after the patch was made.

Another part of the problem is a bug involving the chain. You know that when it's lowered when the belt runs upward, the chain just bunches up. But when Manny goes down onto the belt, he interacts with the sloping part of the belt as if the chain was on it (meaning he climbs hand over hand rather than walks) and yet on the flat part of the belt he's carried along by it's movement in the normal way. So in this situation Manny climbs down the chain that isnt' there, stands, and is swept back onto the imaginary chain too quick for the player to react.

On my 700 MHz PIII the chain bug will trap me on the belt (except that I know to flip the switch first thing) but it's not so fast I can't get off the belt otherwise. From the pleas for help it looks as if people with 1+ GHz machines find the belt too fast to get off even without the chain bug coming into play.

It'll only get worse the faster processors get. The rest of the game seems OK as far as speed goes; it's just that damn belt and chain.
Page: 1 of 1