Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Beard...

Page: 1 of 1
 Darnn
02-14-2002, 10:32 AM
Oooh, lookit, an on-topic post.
Anyway, we've been discussing quite a lot of the story inconsistencies of the MI series, but here's one that I don't think was ever discussed: LeChuck's beard in MI2.
Where does Guybrush get it?
According to Chris 'DataDogg' Ushko and his The Devil's Triangle fan-game and fanfic, it's LeChuck's ghost's beard, which Guybrush picked up after LeChuck exploded back in SoMI. This cannot be right for two reasons: LeChuck's head clearly flew away from Melee, and Guybrush couldn't have found it, and even if he could have, it would still have been just a ghost beard, while Largo says that he's been looking for a living piece of LeChuck for years.
If it is, in fact, LeChuck's actual beard, taken from his body, then how the heck did Guybrush get it? Did he somehow find out where LeChuck's ship sank, dived there and cut off LeChuck's beard? This doesn't make any sense. Sure, he uses it as proof, but I don't think he'd have gone through all that trouble just to get proof, and even if he did, he'd have taken something... Less unpleasent.
Anybody have any ideas?
 MrManager
02-14-2002, 10:37 AM
Well, LeChuck's head blew straight up, and it probably fell straight down again.

As for it's not being a living part of him... Plot hole? Guybrush being a kid who didn't think about that?
 DecafJedi
02-14-2002, 10:44 AM
I always just assumed that the beard was a side-effect of the radical transformation from pirate-wannabe to full-fledged pirate. :D
 ptdc
02-14-2002, 11:36 AM
I don't think you're supposed to think about this sort of thing. It just is.
 elTee
02-14-2002, 3:30 PM
Hey, what an interesting point. How about this: 'What goes up must come down.' (Is that a rip off of Remio? Sorry if it is.)
The beard is an evil pirates most valuable asset, and so when said evil pirate dies, the beard remains alive. Its a bit like Magic Staffs in Discworld - they always head back to the owner. Guybrush could have found it where LeChucks skeleton landed. Or maybe not...
 Trapezoid
02-14-2002, 4:37 PM
Maybe the ghost pirate LeChuck wore his real beard strapped to his ghost face for some reason.
Or maybe Guybrush just made a fake beard from his own body hair.
 Darnn
02-15-2002, 10:16 AM
How'd they resurrect LeChuck using it, then?
 elTee
02-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Yeah! I know... It was LeChucks pubi- I'll stop.
 Flirbnic
02-15-2002, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by Darnn
How'd they resurrect LeChuck using it, then?

They're brothers... Magic isn't picky!
 StarEye
02-16-2002, 8:28 AM
The beard that Guybrush carries around (in his pants, for some perverse reason), seems a bit ghostly when he shows it to Largo. And I don't think he meant "living piece of LeChuck" as in really Alive. After all, even after LeChuck's resurrected he still isn't alive, he is just a living, lively walking corpse. He is in other words a Zombie, not alive. Perhaps Largo should've said wriggling instead of living.

And, we don't know what happens after SOMI, either. The game ended on Melee Island, but in LCR we start on Scabb, and Guybrush obviously had a fight with Elaine before he left Melee. Where has Guybrush been all the time, on Scabb or some entirely different island not mentioned in any games? He was even surprised to meet Elaine on Booty. That is a bit odd, when Booty isn't too far from Melee.
 MeddlingMonk
02-16-2002, 9:48 AM
This probably isn't one of the great questions of our time...but I'd like to mention that 'alive' may mean only that something is active, not necessarily that it has the properties of biological life. That beard was lively, even if it wasn't living.

And Guybrush carries everything in his pants. He's had stranger things than that beard in there.
 1.21 Jigawatts?
02-16-2002, 9:50 AM
I thought you meant the one on his face,
not the one he keeps in his pants, which Largo steals.
 elTee
02-16-2002, 2:59 PM
yeah, thats a very good point. Alive as in animated. Not dead flesh. I think thats true.
 Gabez
02-21-2002, 12:45 PM
I remember thinking that question when I first saw Guybrush pull out the beard. It's so odd, because everything else seems to be thought of by Ron Gilbert - surely there's not going to be a plot hole that obvious? I mean, you don't even have it in your inventory. Perhaps Ron put this in on purpose, to give a hint to the real secret?

That theory if QueZTones is very interesting, and I'm sure it's atleast partly right. A beard suddenly apearing from no-where might happen in a small boys imagination.

Ofcourse, that theory isn't perfect, but I bet it's on the right lines.
 BooJaka14m
02-21-2002, 3:27 PM
4 words: Living Dead
Page: 1 of 1