Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

thats right: THE FAVORITE MOVIES THREAD

Page: 1 of 1
 sheaday6
02-08-2002, 11:10 PM
you know, there comes a time in every forums life, when one question must be asked (mainly to start conversation). "What is the question?:confused: " you ask. Well, here it is: WHATS YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE(S).

Mine are:
-Drunken Master 1 & 2
-The Big Lebowski
-Iron Monkey
 Jester
02-09-2002, 10:56 AM
I have around 50 - but for the sake of variety, I'll mention my current favorite.

Brazil.
 JR2000Z
02-09-2002, 8:32 PM
The Matrix
 sheaday6
02-09-2002, 10:09 PM
Admitted, Matrix kicked ass, but "speechless"? It wasn't that great.
 MtBlanc
02-10-2002, 8:22 PM
Eh, the Matrix was good, but unfortunately it's one of those movies that gets a little more tiring everytime you watch it. The cinematography and special effects were great, and the messages in the film were mighty powerful. But, I don't know, it doesn't leave a clean feeling in your mouth, like Crest.

Here's a handful of my favorite movies, I'll try to keep it to under ten:

Citizen Kane
Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Longest Day
Reservoir Dogs
Full Metal Jacket
 SyntheticGerbil
02-11-2002, 3:19 PM
It'll just probably be the same damned line of pretentious make-you-think indie films that are going to be listed anyway.

But Dead-Alive is the best zombie movie ever.
 sheaday6
02-11-2002, 4:34 PM
Holy crap, i completely forgot about Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums. Those were great
 Kylilin
02-11-2002, 6:49 PM
my top 10 (in no signifigant order):

Goodfellas
Bruce Campbell vs Army of Darkness
Half-Baked
Baseketball
the Man in the Iron Mask (both versions)
On the Waterfront
Inherit the Wind
Godfather 1,2 & 3 (i'll count them as 1)
Star Wars (all of them)
Superman
 sheaday6
02-11-2002, 8:47 PM
How can you like army of darkness, but not Evil dead 1 or 2??? Blasphemy!!!!
:eets:
 Kylilin
02-12-2002, 7:42 AM
I never said I didn't like them, I just didn't put them in my top 10...but I guess I should put them in as a trilogy...
 iisaac
02-12-2002, 9:22 AM
Yippee-kay-yay (http://www.ohthehumanity.com/selectmovie.php3?listall=yes) mother****ers--I mean it.
 sheaday6
02-12-2002, 7:02 PM
HAHA, Zombie 4: A virgin among the dead
 edlib
02-12-2002, 8:22 PM
This is Spinal Tap

Lots of other good ones too, some of which have already been mentioned,.. but this is the king-daddy of 'em all.
 SyntheticGerbil
02-13-2002, 6:29 AM
Are you a regular Sam and Max user, Edlib, or did you just come here to advertise your favorite movie?

Not to be intruding... it's just an especially odd situation.
 edlib
02-13-2002, 7:16 AM
I've been here before, and I know many of the other regulars from seeing them on other boards.

I usually read through all the new threads and posts here on a daily basis, but I just don't post here everyday. This just happened to be a topic I felt inexorably compelled to poke my nose into.
 sheaday6
02-13-2002, 5:29 PM
post more! post more! TELL THE PEOPLE!
 edlib
02-13-2002, 5:48 PM
OK OK!

Is this good enuff?

:joy:
 Andrei
02-13-2002, 9:31 PM
Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore were ****ing great.

I've yet to see Brazil, but it's high up on my list.

I add Pi and Requiem For a Dream to the list. Darren Aronofsky's my favorite director.

Fight Club and Akira too.
 sheaday6
02-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey edlib, you've seen Waiting for Guffman, and Best of Show, right? right!?
 edlib
02-14-2002, 8:57 AM
Er... No, actually,.. I've really been meaning to,.. but...

I'm always the last person I know to see a movie.
It may have to do with the fact that I'm always at work! I'm posting from work right now as a matter of fact. (Of course, "always at work" is not to be confused with "always working." ;) )

I eventually get to see all the good movies, but usually after the videos have hit the discount bin, or when I can borrow them from friends.

I plan on seeing them both in the near future though... really,.. I do... no, really...
 Skinkie
02-14-2002, 9:02 PM
I must be seeing things, or rather not seeing things, is it my imagination or has there been no mention of Indy in this thread? He is only the greatest action heo ever...

But I'm also partial to -Star Wars
-Men in Black
-Spaceballs
-Young Frankenstein
-and Ghostbusters (the first one)
 Gexx
02-15-2002, 9:44 PM
i just saw a beutiful mind. it was good
 edlib
02-23-2002, 7:21 PM
What's everybody's favorite BAD movie?

Mine is a stunning piece of cinema called Road Games. (http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V++++41558,00.html?)

Bad acting, ridicluous script and plot, inexplicable cinematography, directing that defies description... THIS MOVIE HAS IT ALL! :D

It's like half the people involved with the production believed they were making a serious Hitchcockian murder-mystery thriller, and the other half were convinced that they were making a flat-out slapstick-comedy spoof of the genre.
It's a classic! Go watch it now,.. if you can manage to find it anywhere. I'm sure this is one that everybody involved wuth the creation of it wishes would just be forgotten forever... but not if I have anything to say about it!
:joy:
 Jester
02-23-2002, 8:00 PM
The Musketeer; the budget was blown on searching the forests for an ample amount of guano they could form into a script, and on the millions of microphones they placed under the floorboards so you could feel the supposed actors walking. And in a tie for the last would be A Zombie at Mardi Gras. Any impressions you gather from the title, go with. They give the Movie the benefit of the doubt.
 Jake
02-23-2002, 8:05 PM
Recently I've been loving Rushmore, Ghostbusters, Big Lebowski & Hudsucker Proxy and... meh? Office Space and a Bugs Life maybe? All Pixar films are tops.

Worst? Meh as well. There are no bad movies, just ones not watching more than once (or very rarely half way)
 Kylilin
02-23-2002, 8:58 PM
my very favorite worst movie of all time is Fist of the North Star, its based on the Anime by the same name, its just a really crappy, crappy, rendition...
 AndrewL
02-23-2002, 9:58 PM
how'd you make that avatar jake?
 sheaday6
02-23-2002, 10:17 PM
Dude, Kung Pow: Enter the Fist was a terrible movie, but it was fun as hell, they didn't even try to have a plot!
 SyntheticGerbil
02-23-2002, 10:52 PM
Manos: the Hands of Fate!

I've only seen it through MST3K and it has good reason for being off of shelves everywhere.
 Jake
02-23-2002, 11:52 PM
Meh manos. It wasn't *THAT* terrible, everyone just says it was.

And sean as to your "same independant thought blah blah films as everyone else" comment -- don't you think a lot of people list those as their "favorite movies" because they have some element to them that you feel in some way, or they keep you thinking enough to bring you back more than once? You'll note "10 Things I Hate About You" isn't on anyones favorite films of all times not just because it isnt some indie intellectual film or whatever but because it had no redeeming value except maybe trendiness and perhaps boobs? (i didnt see it)

That remark annoyed me, I don't know why. Different people have different tastes. Some people probably don't think Sam & Max is funny (see, on topic!), some people hate action films, some people only watch action films... etc. Bleh. The end.
 JR2000Z
02-24-2002, 12:19 AM
The worst movie ever = Mortal Kombat 2.

Bad acting
Bad story
Bad script
Bad everything

The only good thing is IMO, one of the girls is hot, but everything else sucked.
 Kylilin
02-24-2002, 6:24 PM
Some people probably don't think Sam & Max is funny

BLASPHEMY!!!
 iisaac
02-25-2002, 3:19 AM
Best bad movie goes to Mad Max. I loved that movie, although it's the most simple-minded American neo-conservative wild-west fantasy ever made. Excellent acting by Mel Gibson, and very well crafted plot devices. But the plot... the plot... The plot: http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/FINE/juhde/winn972.htm)
 SyntheticGerbil
02-25-2002, 6:41 AM
Jake I was poking fun at myself and independent film fanatics when I wrote that. I didn't mean any harm towards the indie films.
 The Dogfuchow
02-26-2002, 9:17 PM
the matrix was good.. but not THAT good, and Keanu can't act for his life, yet he does.

favorite movies.. many of them: (in no particular order)

Se7en
Fight Club
Snatch
Lock Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Trainspotting
Clerks
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Mallrats
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Akira
Three Kings
Ocean's 11
Black Hawk Down
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
American History X

--doesn't quite make it, but should be checked out: 15 minutes/ good movie, some horrible acting, idea is amazing.
 JackTheGaffer
02-26-2002, 10:22 PM
In no order...

The Matrix
Star Wars
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Pulp Fiction
The Usual Suspects
Leon - The Professional
American History X
Die Hard
Roughnecks - The Starship Troopers Chronicles (TV Show turned kind of movie)
Any MST3K episode
Mars Attacks!
 JackTheGaffer
02-26-2002, 10:28 PM
If I remember Manos was Directed, Produced and stared the same guy, and may have been writen by him too.

Originally posted by SyntheticGerbil
Manos: the Hands of Fate!

I've only seen it through MST3K and it has good reason for being off of shelves everywhere.
 Jake
02-27-2002, 3:17 AM
Oh, heh, sorry Sean. I don't understand comedy, you see, so I thought you were being serious. Crazy me!
 sheaday6
02-27-2002, 5:08 PM
dogfuchow, you have the exact movie tastes as one of my freinds, EXACTLY.
 SyntheticGerbil
02-28-2002, 6:28 AM
Fuchow's tastes in movies are very close to mine, give or take 10 movies.
 The Dogfuchow
03-02-2002, 2:54 PM
because we're damn cool.

did I forget Memento? After I finally figured it all out from countless viewings and pausings I love it.
 JackTheGaffer
03-02-2002, 2:55 PM
Originally posted by The Dogfuchow
did I forget Memento? After I finally figured it all out from countless viewings and pausings I love it.

You needed to watch it a second time?
 Jester
03-03-2002, 9:33 PM
I recall you still thirsting for [absolute] clarity on it via your Message-board.
 SyntheticGerbil
03-04-2002, 12:49 AM
That movie gave me a serious head trip.
Page: 1 of 1