Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

GBG Security issues....

Page: 1 of 1
 Jordus
11-09-2001, 3:09 PM
In AOK, the discs came with digital fingerprinting, which means you cannot burn a copy of the disc (which is perfectly legal for personal backup purposes).....i was just wondering if you guys know if GB will have this, and wether or not you think it should.
 LordQuiGonJinn
11-09-2001, 3:26 PM
I bet it will have some sort of security, LA dont like copying there stuff just like Microsoft
 Dvlos
11-09-2001, 5:13 PM
I hope your not already concocting schemes for pirating the game. If this game is good LA deserves the $$$ why? At the very least, to keep giving the fans more good games.
 Kioet Csuhen
11-09-2001, 7:00 PM
PEOPLE WHO HAVE LAN DO NOT LIKE PAYING MORE FOR A GAME THAN THEY BOUGHT JUST TO HAVE IT ON 2 COMPUTERS.

It better be burnable!!! I'll buy it of course, and then I'll burn it so me and my dad can play.

If it can't be burned, it better dam well be a 'multiplayer' thing where only 1 cd is required to do mp. If not...i'll be of mixed emotions. They also better include REDBOOK AUDIO!!!!!! (if the tag doesn't work, so help me...)
 Clefo
11-09-2001, 7:04 PM
If you wanna have more than 1 CD then buy 2 copies!It dosen't exactly help LEC make better games if you don't buy every copy your own. And if you people want an expansion pack you better buy all your copies
 Darth_Rommel
11-09-2001, 7:04 PM
I have something to say:

With AOK, you only needed the disk to start the game. Once you were in game, you could take the CD out, and the game would still run. Then, you could insert the disk in another compurer, start the game, and voila! AOK is running with one disk, on one comp!

*The host needs the CD to host, though. You need one CD for three players, 2 for 6, etc.
 Tie Guy
11-09-2001, 10:19 PM
Well, technically it is only illegal if you do one of several things

1. Sell the CD
2. Use it for business purposes (doesn't make sense here)
3. Do not already own the CD (so if you burn it and give it to a friend it is illegal b/c he doesn't have an orignal copy)

Burning a copy to play on another one of your computers and not giving it to anyone else or selling it after you paid for one copy originally is technically not illegal i do believe.
 Kioet Csuhen
11-09-2001, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Clefo
If you wanna have more than 1 CD then buy 2 copies!It dosen't exactly help LEC make better games if you don't buy every copy your own. And if you people want an expansion pack you better buy all your copies

$100 for 2 cds. well, for one thing, if 1 cd=$50, it better come packed. I mean:

Thick manual (makes the box really heavy)
Redbook Audio (I get ticked off when any of my games doesn't have that, if there's not redbook audio, don't hardcode the music, do that, we'll go get mp3 and say it's legal).

anyways.....galactic battlegrounds is awesome.
 chrisw_30
11-10-2001, 8:41 AM
I hope the discs do come with digtial fingerprinting as it can stop the pirating of games being distributed....

I dont mind it so much if people are burning another copy to play LAN but the distributers do this so the pirating organisations can be stopped....

I admit I used to buy burnt games.....but i realised it was wrong and from then on bought the games at retail price from shops
 Kioet Csuhen
11-10-2001, 8:57 AM
as long as they have a multiplayer thingy i'll be happy.

I'm getting a burned copy of star wars racer soon, which in my opinion is legal, as i've got the n64 version, which i overpayed on ($50).
 Admiral Thrawn
11-10-2001, 9:25 AM
I tried burning the sims once, but that stupid serial number!
 Kioet Csuhen
11-10-2001, 1:28 PM
I tried burning Rebellion once. hehehe it didn't work. I burnt rogue squadron once, tested it, it worked, sent it to a friend, it didn't work. heh
 crazy_dog
11-10-2001, 1:39 PM
If u guys are talking about pirated stuff then I buy it all the time when I go to Russia.

In the freezing country *avoids calling his homeland "Motherland"* they don't have any proper computer shops and it's also much cheaper.:D
 Darth_Venage
11-10-2001, 1:59 PM
basically, here's what I want from a new game(and I'm sure most of you will agree with me)
1:Burnable
2:if not burnable, then you should be able to either A: start it up and take the disc out(AOK) B:hold 3 or more players on a game with 1 disc if game is installed on all computers
hmm, I had a 'c' but i forgot. I'll get back to it later:D
 Kudar
11-10-2001, 2:09 PM
The thing with these copied disks is, is that it's not just a case of burning the disk and it works, in order to get AoK to work on a copied disk you first needed to have a modified .exe file which was about 7 times larger than the original (because the cd copy protection info is compiled into it) AND you needed to make registry changes.

Now I'm not condoning it, I have some pirated software, but when it's an important game (like this one) I will buy it.

Either way, someone will crack it eventually, but it's not going to be me ;)
Page: 1 of 1