Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

AoE slights it ......just

Page: 1 of 1
 duder
11-09-2001, 4:41 AM
After playing the demo for the first time online last night, I give my verdict that the programming of the game still isnt up to the ensemble boys brilliant AoE, units do not move as fluently as in AoE, and the graphics arent as crisp, although this is only the demo version. But at the same time the air units and shield generators add a great new spin on the game. And lets never forget being a jedi is everyones ambition in life!!! I still cant wait for the release!

:fett: :fett: :fett:
 Kudar
11-09-2001, 4:44 AM
The demo was released before animations and graphics were completely finalised. :)
 duder
11-09-2001, 4:47 AM
Ahhh thats good, I was a little dissapointed!
 jediaoe
11-09-2001, 5:59 AM
i should be like 5 times better when it comes out.
 duder
11-09-2001, 6:16 AM
lets hope so
 Dvlos
11-09-2001, 7:46 AM
I'm not AS fixated on the gfx part, if you watch the GB trailer you can see they fixed up the graphics a bit making Shield Generators a nice swirling blue hue, and some of the explosions nicer, plus in the full version you can play at 1280x768.

You forget that in AoK all civs are the same except for bonuses, and unique units. With like 3 different building "looks", in SW each race has unique units and buildings. Also, I'm more interested in gameplay, as Starcraft shows, you can have subpar graphics and still manage to keep you addicted with good gameplay.

Plus its star wars, that's icing on the cake.
 duder
11-09-2001, 7:57 AM
im not knocking it...im looking forward to it as much as anyone. I just felt that the overall gameplay of AoE was definately the more rounded. But as I say it is only the demo version, and the differences in AoK between civs extend furthur than merely the unique units. They all have economic plus and minuses, and various military differences. An apology will be welcome.
 Dvlos
11-09-2001, 8:06 AM
Originally posted by duder
im not knocking it...im looking forward to it as much as anyone. I just felt that the overall gameplay of AoE was definately the more rounded. But as I say it is only the demo version, and the differences in AoK between civs extend furthur than merely the unique units. They all have economic plus and minuses, and various military differences. An apology will be welcome.

I mentioned that the civs all have bonuses, that mean economic penalties and bonuses. Of course they all have access to different tech advances as well. However I find it tedious to remember if its the Viking or the Chinese that have +10% food or minus 10% in wood collecting? And all soldiers, cavalry, siege, weapons look the same, only thing that looks different is unique units. Personally I feel that some of the civs are still unbalanced, like the britons, you smack 75 of their archers with 8 priests and they are nearly an impenetrable defense for your trebuchets.

Some bugs have been fixed like the chinese being toned down. But all in all I ALWAYS thought it would be cool if every civ had all their units look differently, only Starcraft (in the games that I own) did that, and perhaps that is why they only have 3 races, because they balance each other out nicely.

There is nothing more idiotic than facing 100 of the same units like 100 Paladins or 100 catapults like you can in AoK, it seems strategy-less to me. Again this is a matter of opinion, what you like may not be what I like, I have the entire AoE series and there are nice things about them, and it can be fun, I got turned off from the series because it became monotonous and players on the zone liked to take advantage of its bugs until they patched it.

No apologies today my friend, my opinion and comment was accurate and to the point. :atat: :deathii: :fett: :confused:
 duder
11-09-2001, 8:13 AM
as for the apology i was only kidding....im not in for serious gaming debates....and as for fighting only one type of military in age you will find that says more about your own tactics than it does about the game....an expert player will have a variant army of many diffeerent tyypes as that is the most effective approach.... as for briton archers and monks......the way to kill them is simple enough....you just gotta try a bit harder.....the name of the game is strategy.....try to find some.....but overall just enjoy.......this is the important thing

:cool: :cool: :cool:
 Dvlos
11-09-2001, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by duder
as for the apology i was only kidding....im not in for serious gaming debates....and as for fighting only one type of military in age you will find that says more about your own tactics than it does about the game....an expert player will have a variant army of many diffeerent tyypes as that is the most effective approach.... as for briton archers and monks......the way to kill them is simple enough....you just gotta try a bit harder.....the name of the game is strategy.....try to find some.....but overall just enjoy.......this is the important thing

:cool: :cool: :cool:

You don't get me maybe. I (unfortunately) am the type of guy that likes to engage in small skirmishes across the map as I get to tech 4. Then I like to make nice paladin armies, mixed with archers, priests, rams, 4 trebuchets, and a nice sized ground force army consisting of swordsmen and pikemen (halberders). I got tired of playing on the zone when I saw so many mindless people just do the same damn thing every friggin map.

It could happen with Gb too? i don't know maybe someone will find a weakness and all you will see is people making 02983403294802398432 at-ats and that's it.. i don't think it will be the case because you have so many counters for other civs, but it could still happen. Not all players are like that mind you, and I have played several games with nice people, that the games will last up to two hours. Of AoK mayhem. Still I got bored of it. I have to conede that the action in AoK is never as fierce and quick as StarCraft, although SWGB looks to capture the best (in my opinion) of these two of my favorite RTS's.

I'm not the best RTS player, and I am not the worst, so its not that you can't find away to beat the Briton archer/priest/trebuchet thing. What I mean is I hate it when they exploit a game weakness, or monotonously use it just because it means you will win, I like diversity and such. In any case my experience with the GB demo has been very positive, and I've haven't been this happy for an upcoming Lucasarts SW game in a long long time.

Unfortunately i will be working out of town next week, and I won't get home until the 19th, and that day i will buy, play the game, so I get to stop by this forum and read all the LUCKY MAOSODASUYD*#)(UIJKDSAJF*#&$ that are playing this game!!! Grr... irony sucks.
 GB_StormTrooper
11-09-2001, 3:04 PM
are you guys like brothers or somthing, cuz i argue alot with my older (32 year old) brother even if he can kick my ass (im only15) :trooper:
 Master Yoda
11-09-2001, 7:18 PM
I have played AOE\AOK for years and I have played this demo quite a bit. I think that GBG is definately better then AOK. I just hope that the bounty hunter isnt quite as strong in the full version, they are to strong in the demo. Other than that I think its perfectly balanced. Im hoping that they will release new AIs now and again that you can add into the game like in AOK so that the computer will be more unpredictable.
Page: 1 of 1