Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Stuttering sound

Page: 1 of 1
 mouseh
01-28-2002, 8:15 AM
Hey there, hope someone can help me. Picked up Grim Fandango this week on special offer from Amazon, and when I loaded up the game the sound was stuttering badly. Video was fine, it was just the jumpy sound.

I'm using a P3 450, GeForce 256 DDR, Creative SBLive!, 768mb RAM on Windows XP. I tried all the different compatibility modes in XP and it doesn't make a difference, nor does the GF patch.

I do have all the latest drivers for my hardware, and I'm at a loss as to what I can do to fix the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.
 Tall Guy
01-28-2002, 8:22 AM
try the patch from here (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/grim/grim_spotlight.htm) ...see if that works ;)
 mouseh
01-28-2002, 8:46 AM
Thanks, but I already tried the patch. No luck :(
 Tall Guy
01-28-2002, 9:00 AM
i would have a fiddle with the sound options...like turn off suround sound if thats an option and just have a play around with various options....i cant remember what they are off hand....but just have a fiddle with the options.
 mouseh
01-28-2002, 9:12 AM
The only sound options are volume controls, and I tried turning music/voices on and off and different combinations, and nothing seems to work still. Bummer.
 Tall Guy
01-28-2002, 1:17 PM
well ur sound card seems to be decent so it cant be that, i can only put it down to XP. One thing Monk suggested on another post was to turn off nething that is running the background like antivirus or something. See if that helps
 MeddlingMonk
01-28-2002, 4:18 PM
There's one other thing that can be causeing the sound to stutter. I have two computers. The specs of the low-end one look more than adequate to run GF, but the sound stutters on it, too. The reason (I believe) is that the hard drive in that machine has a fairly low rate of data transfer. It just can't read the sound data fast enough.

But then, it might be due to the fact that you're running XP on a somewhat slow machine. Some people solve their problems running games under XP by making their machine dual bootable to XP and Win98.
Page: 1 of 1