Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

... and it's Indy

Page: 1 of 1
 MrManager
01-22-2002, 2:55 PM
LUCASARTS CHOOSES THE COLLECTIVE TO DEVELOP NEW
INDIANA JONES( GAME FOR NEXT GENERATION CONSOLES AND PC

The Collective to Leverage Innovative Technology in Return of
Renowned Indiana Jones Action-Adventure Series

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- January 22, 2002 -- LucasArts Entertainment
Company LLC today announced a development relationship with The Collective,
Inc. to create the next Indiana Jones game, marking the return of film's
most compelling and celebrated action hero to interactive entertainment.
The game, expected to release fall 2002, will be available on a variety of
next generation console platforms and PC.
The upcoming title follows in the epic tradition of LucasArts' rich
Indiana Jones action-adventure legacy. It will feature an all-new
intriguing and historically relevant story set amidst the world's most
exotic locales. The game will utilize The Collective's proprietary engine
technology, bringing to the series a dynamic new level of fighting action
and challenging puzzle elements.
"Similar to LucasArts' collaborations with other premier game studios, The
Collective bring considerable technological and development expertise that,
in this case, will greatly benefit one of our most important brands, Indiana
Jones," says LucasArts' President, Simon Jeffery. "The Collective's efforts
on the highly anticipated game Buffy The Vampire Slayer( were a key
component in determining this relationship. The two companies together will
bring new and compelling elements to Indiana Jones that will ensure a deeply
engaging and fun game play experience.
"My partners and I have admired LucasArts and their commitment to quality
and innovation since the early 8-bit days and we are thrilled at this
opportunity to bring Indiana Jones to life on next generation consoles and
PC," says Doug Hare, vice president of production for The Collective.
About LucasArts
LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC is a leading international developer and
publisher of interactive entertainment software for a variety of computer
and console platforms. Based in San Rafael, Calif., as well as on the
Internet at www.lucasarts.com), LucasArts is one of five companies in the
Lucas group which include Lucasfilm Ltd., Lucas Digital Ltd. LLC, Lucas
Licensing Ltd., and Lucas Learning Ltd. Lucasfilm is one of the leading
film and entertainment companies in the world. Lucasfilm's businesses
include George Lucas' film and television production and distribution
activities as well as the business activities of the THX Group. Lucas
Digital, which consists of Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) and Skywalker
Sound, provides visual effects and audio post-production services to the
entertainment industry. Lucas Licensing is responsible for the
merchandising of all Lucasfilm's film and television properties. Lucas
Learning creates engaging interactive entertainment products that provide
learning opportunities through exploration and discovery.
About The Collective
Founded in 1997 by industry veterans, The Collective, Inc. is a
leading developer of interactive entertainment software and technology for
all major console and computer platforms. In recent years, the Collective
has created groundbreaking 3rd person action adventure games, including the
critically acclaimed Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen, and the highly
anticipated Xbox title Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In the process, the studio
has developed world-class content creation tools and technology. The
Collective is based in Newport Beach, California, and can be found on the
Internet at www.collectivestudios.com).
# # #
 BooJaka14m
01-22-2002, 3:01 PM
Huh? Where did you get that from? I can't find it
 MrManager
01-22-2002, 3:04 PM
 BooJaka14m
01-22-2002, 3:10 PM
OK, I guess that's not too bad. It could've been a lot worse but there are going to be more announcements, right?
 JBRAA
01-22-2002, 3:46 PM
 gorbie
01-22-2002, 3:51 PM
Psh... bleh. Just another Indy Tomb Raider game. I hope they have another trick up their sleeve. I'm growing weary of the movie tie-in games even though I am looking forward to DF2. Where are the original adventures? :(
 The Adventurer
01-22-2002, 4:03 PM
A new Indy game WOOO! Hope it's as good as Infernal Machine was. Now that was a great game.
 elTee
01-22-2002, 4:08 PM
Yes! Another Indy game! This will be cool.
I think there should be at least one more announcement from the LucasArts people... they did say 'several'
 BooJaka14m
01-22-2002, 4:14 PM
I sure hope there's an adventure round the corner.
 QueZTone
01-22-2002, 5:22 PM
yeah baby! now i see it on the LucasArts site i totally believe in it! This is gonna rock! OH YEAHHHHHHH!!
 Trapezoid
01-22-2002, 8:36 PM
Pretty cool... Infernal Machine was great. But we need some original adventure games!
 Lemon Head
01-23-2002, 6:50 AM
i, for one, am glad another indy game is being made, i thought infernal machine was spectacular. i'd be willing to bet this latest addition will be even better.
 Norimaki
01-23-2002, 11:27 AM
I'm not too sure about this ... I really like Infernal Machine myself, but that was developed in-house by Lucasarts ... The new game won't be developed by Lucasarts but by some other company who just happens to proudly list both "The Game of Life" and "Men in Black" as two of five titles they've worked on so far ... And though I must admit that I never played this "Game of Life" it doesn't seem like too hard a thing to make. Also, "Men in Black" was one hell of a bad game. Sure, people are all going crazy over the new "Buffy" game they're making, which I admit looks pretty nice (though a little empty), and the Star Trek game they made got good rankings in gaming magazines ... yet I still remain in doubt over this.

The most important question this raises, however is this: Will Hal Barwood have anything to do with it?
 Kylilin
01-23-2002, 1:14 PM
I'm pretty sick of the numerous Tomb Raider wanna be games out there, although Tomb Raider is a rip off of Indiana Jones, hopefully its a good game...
 QueZTone
01-23-2002, 2:24 PM
i can never get enough of Indy :D Nevar!! :D
 elTee
01-23-2002, 3:03 PM
Indy is really realy cool. I love the Last Crusade (the movie) and I enjoyed the infernal machine. But, is it me or do half the LucasArts games look incredible whilst the rest look awful? Eg. Podracer = cool graphics, the phantom menace (game) = poor graphics.
 Lemon Head
01-23-2002, 3:47 PM
Infernal Machine didn't look all that good either, i hope this time around they make it a bit smoother.
 MeddlingMonk
01-23-2002, 9:14 PM
Indy's another franchise game, but it's not Star Wars so that's something.

I think it's interesting that LEC has farmed this out to The Collective. They recently did Deep Space Nine: The Fallen. Jedi Outcast is being done by Raven, who did Voyager: Elite Force. Apart from the closet-trekkie thing that seems evident here, both The Collective and Raven got things right with the Star Trek franchise (esp. Raven), so I suppose that may be what attracted LEC to them.

It should also reassure anyone who's nervous about the new 'outsource the franchise' way of doing things.
 Schmatz
01-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Norimaki
Also, "Men in Black" was one hell of a bad game.

I totally agree with you. I couldn't even get past the whole first level, because everything was choppy and it was nearly impossible to figure out without DYING. If they make Indy similar to 'Men in Black' we are in BIG trouble. Let's all pray and hope that they have learned from their mistakes.
 Lemon Head
01-24-2002, 9:28 AM
I doubt Indy will be like Men in Black, if it's going to be that kind of action/adventure i reckon it'll be more like tomb raider (more's the pity).

I'm completely torn as to whether i'd prefer to have the new indy game as a pure adventure or an action/adventure. I really enjoyed both
 Erwin_Br
01-24-2002, 11:41 AM
I'd rather have a real adventure game. I can't stand Tomb Raider and I haven't played Infernal Machine (yet) because it looked too 'Tomb-Raider-ish'.

I hate puzzles that require you to pull a lever to open a door.

Sorry, action-adventures are not my cup of tea :(

I just hope the new Indy game will be different than the standard action adventure and I hope even more that LEC announces another game which will be a pure adventure one :)

--Erwin
 Kylilin
01-24-2002, 12:40 PM
what about an Indy First Person/shooter? I think that would be pretty cool, no annoying puzzles to figure out, just pure violence, you know, something where he gets to kill a lot of Nazis and such...and it wouldn't be all that bad to base the game on the movies, although a new adventure would be good too...
 Gabez
01-24-2002, 1:43 PM
Apparently it's also going to be released on the X-box, which means it'll have really good graphics... Probably.
 Lemon Head
01-24-2002, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by Kylilin
what about an Indy First Person/shooter? I think that would be pretty cool, no annoying puzzles to figure out, just pure violence, you know, something where he gets to kill a lot of Nazis and suchGo play Return to Castle Wolfenstein if that's what flicks your switch but i'd hate to see Indy ****ed up by something like that.
 elTee
01-24-2002, 5:00 PM
I love return to Castle Wolfenstein - play it online. But I don't like the idea of turning the man in the hat into some kind of psycho.
 Lemon Head
01-24-2002, 6:39 PM
I enjoyed RTCW as well (although Medal of Honor comes out in Februrary: get it, it's superb) but i just think that kind of frag fest overkill would ruin Indy.

He's meant to be a smart guy who can think his way out of situations and that's half the fun. Part of the reason i didn't think RTCW was excellent was because it was so mindless.
 Kylilin
01-24-2002, 8:59 PM
well, in two of the three Indiana Jones movies, he kills Nazis, all I am saying is that Indy needs a new format...
 MtBlanc
01-25-2002, 12:02 AM
He kicks some Red ass in the Infernal Machine. Beating on Commies was fun, I'd like to do/see it again.
 elTee
01-25-2002, 4:10 AM
Indy killed Nazi's when he had to. He ddn't go out of his way to kill someone. In both the Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Last Crusade the Nazi's are attempting to get religous artefacts that will strengthen thier army and allow them to conquer the world. So, if Indy doesn't kill a few people along the way then the chances are he'll be killed and the world will become a dictatorship under Hitler. He generally prefers to knock people out than kill them, if he can. The only instance of him being a bit cold-blooded is when he shoots that guy with the sword in Raiders. However, that wasn't in the script, originally they did fight and the sword guy got killed because Indy was in a 'you-or-me' situation. The reason they did it like it was in the film is that Harrison Ford felt ill the day of that shoot, and wasn't up to a big fight scene.
 Lemon Head
01-25-2002, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by LucasTones
originally they did fight and the sword guy got killed because Indy was in a 'you-or-me' situation. The reason they did it like it was in the film is that Harrison Ford felt ill the day of that shoot, and wasn't up to a big fight scene. Yeah, he got disintery or something equally nasty, which meant he couldn't spent a lot of the time out of reach of a porta-loo

And LucasTones is absodootly right, Indy only killed when he had too, it wouldn't be right to turn him into a frag-machine, i just dont think thats how he works. He's, more often than not, a man of mercy.
 QueZTone
01-25-2002, 1:17 PM
indeed :)

for example indy couldve gone thru the trouble of searching for a Mauser before climbing onto that plane in Raiders. But rather he climbed aboard it without and then that bald strong mechanic came to him and he, ok with some protestive feelings, climbed down off the plane to put up his dukes..indy likes boxing :D (LC adventure game)

Indy's so cool because he's really not unbeatable tho he's just lucky a lotta times, why? Because he believes in whatever higher power there is in certain situations. Also he gets beat up a lot, he wins but never without getting so much beaten up. Half through each movie Indy already has several bruises and received many knuckle/fist hits against his mouth. His lips are always burst with blood and he gets punched in his stomach quite a lot too. And still he keeps going on! :D
 Lemon Head
01-25-2002, 2:31 PM
*sigh*...what a guy
 Yoha
01-25-2002, 3:16 PM
I second that *sigh*, Lemmie :D
 elTee
01-25-2002, 5:43 PM
Thirded, and carried.
The films are really funny as well - I mean, in the Last Crusade its hilarious when he jams that flag pole into that Nazi's spokes, and his bike blows up. He looks back, pleased that he's outwitted the Germans with a big grin. Sean Connery gives him a really reproving look, and then corrects his watch to adjust for the change in time zone.
 Kylilin
01-25-2002, 6:47 PM
all I said was that I wanted to see an Indiana Jones game with a different style than a copycat of Tomb Raider or Pitfall, first person shooter was merely a suggestion...but here is another one, if you guys are so against making a first person game, why not not make it into a Metal Gear Solid type game, where killing is an option, but not necessary at all times, where there are some puzzles, but not annoying and overwhelming ones that slow the game down and make it boring...
 Darnn
01-26-2002, 3:09 AM
As long as we're on the subject, did a fly really crawl out of one of bad guys while he was still alive in RLA?
 Lemon Head
01-26-2002, 5:30 AM
When the hell was THAT supposed to have happened??
Sounds ick to me
 QueZTone
01-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Darnn, yes that happened, accidently of course. But not out of his mouth but INTO his mouth..

It's at the scene where Indy stands high on the rocks and points a bazooka at the nazi's who are carrying the ark to a certain spot on that deserty island. So Indy aims his bazooka and yells: "Hellooo" or something. So Belloq and Indy get in a conversation and in one of the shots of the scene Belloq is in closeup. You can then clearly see a fly flying to Belloq's mouth. It first sits really short on his face near his mouth and then crawls inside. :D
 Yoha
01-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Did you guys hear also that there is a new Indy movie coming out? I saw an article earlier this week but cant find it, this is the closest I can find... http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,9412,00.html)
Perhaps an explanation as to why the sudden interest in a new Indy game? ;)
 Snapcase
01-26-2002, 11:56 AM
 Kylilin
01-26-2002, 12:27 PM
check out upcomingmovies.com (http://www.upcomingmovies.com) for info regarding the new Indy movie
 Yoha
01-26-2002, 1:44 PM
Originally posted by Snapcase
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/eo/20020122/101175612400.html)

that's the same story as the one I gave, yes; the one i saw though i think was on msn (someone IMed it to me). Thanks Kyli, yeah there's some more info...
 Cookie3118
01-26-2002, 9:45 PM
didn't anyone else find it brilliant that one could make the action/fighting bits *optional* in FoA and Last Crusade? In FoA, they bluntly let u choose: fighting, teamwork, or thinking. In Last Crusade, u can avoid almost ALL fights by talking your way out of something. I think they should keep that in mind in creating a new game. Let the audience have some options as to how THEY want to play. That way it'll appeal to many more people, AND u can play the game in numerous ways, for excellent re-playability (is that a word?). Just my two cents. :)

~Eva
 Lemon Head
01-27-2002, 7:54 PM
but it was even more than that Cookie, that entire section of the game was completely different for each option. For some options you would see sections that you wouldn't in others
 Darnn
01-30-2002, 1:42 AM
The only problem with the action bits in FOA was that they were terrible. I mean, I just passed the whole thing using the KO button. Damn, was I annoyed when that one big guy knew how to block it.
Page: 1 of 1