Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

LucasArts Exciting Announcement

Page: 1 of 1
 elTee
01-18-2002, 3:48 AM
I got this in the LucasArts insider newsletter.

'Announcements Coming Soon!
LucasArts is poised to make several exciting announcements in the coming weeks. Watch the LucasArts web site beginning next week and be the first to know!'

Does this mean our patience with this Star Wars nonsense has been rewarded? An adventure game to be announced? Maybe its the sequel one - I think they are making two at the moment aren't they?
 QueZTone
01-18-2002, 7:42 AM
yeah! This could be what we we're waiting for! Ohh I'd love a cool Indiana Jones game!! :)

Anyway, yesterday was great with the pre-order of JK2 and new site and revealed boxart (love the boxart). Anyway I think one of their cool announcements could be like a anticlimax to us, because they still need to reveal what the mystery gift with JK2 is hehe ;) That could be a major announcement in their eyes heehee :) We'll see what happens! :)
 Dalixam
01-18-2002, 8:28 AM
It could also be the announcement of lots of Episode II games :p
 Navhead
01-18-2002, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by Dalixam
It could also be the announcement of lots of Episode II games :p

Yikes. ;)

I really hope there'll be some adventure games.
 Lemon Head
01-18-2002, 9:35 AM
It's on the cards that an adventure or two will be announced between nowand E3, i hope we won't be dissapointed.
 MrManager
01-18-2002, 10:40 AM
Well, judging from what Simon was saying at the last E3, there will be at least a few non-Star Wars games announced this year, and most likely at least one adventure game. (probably too early for Sean Clark's new game to be announced) Hopefully LEC will dig itself out of this horrible Star Wars rut it's been in for the past years.
 The Adventurer
01-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Lucasarts confermed last year that they have a new policy on a 50-50 Star Wars- Original Propertys game makeing scedual. So expect a few origina non-star wars games out this year. But don't be disapointed if its not an Adventure game. There are other generes they could fill.
 QueZTone
01-18-2002, 12:01 PM
yeah, like a new Indy game! Yay! :D
 elTee
01-18-2002, 2:40 PM
I'm pretty much certain that they're gonna announce an adventure game. They say 'exciting developments', and the Star Wars games would probably be something like 'exciting new games.'
'Several' - that means more than two. This could be games, web sites, new merchandise or any manner of another things I can't be bothered to think of. I half hope its a sequel to an existing adventure - seeing screenshots etc. - but I also half hope its a new game. With hindsight, the announcement of a newie like Grim Fandango would be brilliant - speculation galore!
 Norimaki
01-18-2002, 3:06 PM
There are other generes they could fill.

Fine by me. As long as they don't try to fill their "golf game"-hole at least.

I'm still hoping for a Gameboy Advance conversion of one of their older games though. That would be easy and cheap in the making and they wouldn't lose that much money if it didn't work out.

But seriously. I'm DYING for a new adventure game. DYING.
 The Adventurer
01-18-2002, 3:14 PM
SMI and MI2 on GBA (don'tcha love abv.?) would be cool. With Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars coming to GBA Lucasarts couldcreat some compitition on the new handheld.
 ZeroXcape
01-18-2002, 3:28 PM
Indy games... humm

If LEC is going to take their time and make a nice 3D FPS/Action-Adventure, I'd just assume they make it Star Wars. IMO, saber's are more fun then whips. I guess I do have that Jedi Knight II game on my waitlist to hold me over... so ya, let's hope a cool Indy game will come out.

On the other hand, something original would be a nice change. LEC hasn't had something new since 1998's GOTY Grim Fandango.

We'll probably all find out in April... E3's not that far off.
 BooJaka14m
01-20-2002, 3:51 PM
Last Summer, weren't people talking about a Sam n Max 2? here was something about them buying back the rights, wasn't there or was I just dreaming?
 MrManager
01-20-2002, 4:34 PM
Infinite Machine are developing Sam & Max 2, which they obviously have the right to develop. (despite JA+'s claims)
 QueZTone
01-20-2002, 5:02 PM
hmm...after a chat today in #mi i think its going to be a Full Throttle sequel...and its going to [censored] too.. :/
 MrManager
01-20-2002, 6:19 PM
Right, yes, this is pretty much the same as I've heard. With that said - I'll make up my own mind when it's actually released.
 The Adventurer
01-21-2002, 1:35 AM
How do we know FT2 is going to suck? Just because it's not being made by Tim Shaffer dosn't mean it'll suck. And the fact that the guy who did the voice of Ben is no longer with us and....oh who am I kiding it's probly not gonna be as good as the original but hey! Its another Lucasart Adventure and you can never have to many of those.
 Erwin_Br
01-21-2002, 4:20 AM
Well, the 'exciting announcement' is rather disappointing to me... Another StarWars game :mad:

--Erwin
 Tall Guy
01-21-2002, 4:24 AM
im inclined to think so :rolleyes:
 QueZTone
01-21-2002, 6:28 AM
Erwin, i dont get it...you're speaking as if the announcement is already made...
 Tall Guy
01-21-2002, 7:55 AM
i think he's predicting
 Crocodilic
01-21-2002, 9:28 AM
Non-SW game from LEC. ROFL as if. It will probably be EMI for the Xbox with a new location or something or more murray or something stupid like that. :swear: :max:

New Grim or new FT or new all together, or maybe new Loom, will be the only thing i might buy. :duel:

This stupid smilies are great.

http://monkeyclub.mixnmojo.com/barrel.gif)
 Erwin_Br
01-21-2002, 9:45 AM
Originally posted by QueZTone
Erwin, i dont get it...you're speaking as if the announcement is already made...

Hmmm, after re-reading my post I now see that I was a bit vague. (Hey, it was early and I didn't got a mug of coffee yet) :D

I'm trying to say that I don't really expect great announcements, I think they have more StarWars for us... I really hope I'm wrong, though. :(

--Erwin
 Lemon Head
01-21-2002, 10:17 AM
LEC's previous announcement record hasn't been too inspiring i'll admit. But, together with the decision to make 50% non-starwars games (of whatever genre) i think it's only fair to show a bit of optimism and give LEC a break until they actually unveil their startling products.
 elTee
01-21-2002, 10:51 AM
I'm speaking from what I know here.
LucasArts said prior to the last E3 that they were not going to announce any adventures there. A lot of mojo people started saying, 'well, I thought you said it would be a 50-50 thing?'. The reply to this was that they were making a lot of Star Wars games due to the new interest in the movies, what with Episode I already out and episode II on the way. However, they did say that there would more than likely be an adventure game announced at the next E3. Another source (I'm not sure of its authenticity) said that there were two adventure games in the works, and one of them was a sequel.
This is all opinion now. They will announce it within the coming weeks, but we won't see any proper pics, or be able to download a trailer until after E3. After E3 more plot details will emerge as well. If it is a Full Throttle sequel, so what? Full Throttle was great, and just because its a sequel means nothing: Secret of Monkey Island was not as good as Monkey Island 2. Day of the Tentacle was at least 5 times better than Maniac Mansion. Indy: FOA was better than Last Crusade. In fact, as far as LEC sequels go (excluding EMI, not that I dont like it. I don't want to kick that debate off again) they are more 'Godfather II' than 'Speed 2' - ie. they are generally improvements. I once narrowed the list of possible sequels down. Here it is again:

Maniac / Dott: possible (they re-released DOTT, didn't they) and would rock!
Zak: Possible, but unlikely - not many people will understand it would be a sequel. Not a large existing fanbase.
Loom: Possible, but unlikely - see Zak.
Indy: Possible, especially if the Indy 4 movie happens. Would be cool.
Monkey: Ok, MI5 will happen at some point, guaranteed. (The voodoo lady: 'I have a 5 game contract with LucasArts' / Guybrush in CMI 'I have the potential for at least 2 more sequels') However, isn't it too soon to 'Return to Monkey Island'? :D
Sam n Max: NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
Full Throttle: Possible, but as said, the voice guy is dead. Would be good though, see previous paragraph.
The Dig: would be good, but what could happen? This story is over, and many people tuned out of it before they finished it 'cos it was too hard for 'em.
Grim Fandango: Would be well recieved, as original was GOTY. However, a sequel would have to have a good story, or else they'll ruin the legacy of the original. It could be another story, set in the same locations, or a PREquel. That would be kinda cool. (But I like NOT knowing why Manny is working for the DoD.)

There you are. Comprehensive? You said it.
 BooJaka14m
01-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Loom 2: Forge ;)

Loom 2 would be a great game though. I'm just interested how they would carry it on after an ending like that, unless it was to be a prequel!

It would have to be longer too!
 Lemon Head
01-21-2002, 12:32 PM
I really like the grim fandango idea, but personally i think it's most important that if they didn't one they wouldn't use manny again. GF was superb but it was a story by itself - a beginning and an end.

I think the land of the dead itself should be explored to a greater extent with a different set of characters.
 Cookie3118
01-21-2002, 2:02 PM
I always fear sequels, as there are many great ones, but just as many (if not more) bad ones. The storyline of a sequel almost NEVER makes sense following the original, as if the production team doesn't care, so I get kinda nervous about the sequel idea. A new Indy *adventure* would be pretty exciting, but, oh wait - Infernal Machine royally ::*SUCKED*:: It wasn't even a real adventure game. I'd give anything for an original a-d-v-e-n-t-u-r-e game now. Maniac Mansion 3 would also seem pretty damn promising. Also, I'm hoping MI5 doesn't come out for a few years...I mean, guys, it'll be the last one! I want them to have lots of time to perfect it and make it a GOOD one. Anticipation is good.

~Eva
 The Adventurer
01-21-2002, 3:57 PM
Indy and the IM wasn't soposed to be an adventurer game it was sopposed to be an action game. And it doesn't suck either. The guy who made the Indy games said him self that he'd alwasy wanted the Indy games to contain more action. why do you think there were fist fights? We will probly never see another strait Indy Adventurer game again. And a good thing two Indys soposed to to be acton filled.
 BooJaka14m
01-21-2002, 4:07 PM
True. Infernal Machine was a good game. Very weird and challenging.
 Lemon Head
01-21-2002, 5:14 PM
I agree, Indy is a cunning guy but he's also hardcore. The action/adventure was good way to go i think but a pure adventure would also have worked. I really enjoyed Indy5 because even though it contained opbject puzzles alone (like Tomb Raider) it used them in more original fashions than TR.
 elTee
01-22-2002, 8:11 AM
At the end of loom doesn't chaos say he'll return?
 Tall Guy
01-22-2002, 8:27 AM
been a while since i played it but i loved that game!!...cant remember what is sed at the end but i sure hope there will be a sequal someday...and a longer one at that! :)
 BooJaka14m
01-22-2002, 1:53 PM
I can't remember what's said either but I have the version with the voices and Chaos's voice really creeps me out. Just thought I'd say that...
Page: 1 of 1