Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Do aliens exist?

Page: 1 of 2
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 5:36 AM
You've seen them in Star Wars, but do they really exist?

:band: :evanpiel: :ewok: :jawa :nien: :maul: :koon: :yoda:

My facts to show aliens exist:
1) Some alien encounters/abductions are backed by evidence, sometimes even by scientific evidence.
2) The SETI proggrame has only searched a small fraction of the galaxy.
3) In 1976 SETI recieveid a signal that has been unidentified ever since.
4) Liquid water almost certainly existed on Mars, meaning life too may have existed.
5) Out of the 100 billion stars in our galaxy, is the Sun the only star that has a planet with life.
6)Jupiters moon Europa may have an ocean of liquid water under it's surface. Maybe alien fish live there.

Post your views here.

And remember my friends, the truth is out there :D !
 Young David
08-14-2001, 6:15 AM
Those are not facts ...

1. Those alien encounters could be made up up by lunatics
2. If SETI had searched a larger part of the galaxy it doesn't have to mean the defenitly is life somewhere else where it hasn't searched yet.
3. I just had a call ... had no clue who it was ... so it could be an alien.
4. There doesn't have to be life for water to exist. The fact that Pluto has ice doesn't have to mean they have Wampa's
5. Well ... maybe the sun is ... We don't know that.
6. Again a maybe ...

I think it is as safe to say that there are no aliens as it is to safe to say there are ... cause both can't be proved.

You just believe what you want ... I don't want to believe there are aliens so they don't exist :thrawn:
 Paragon_Leon
08-14-2001, 6:35 AM
Aliens ? I figure God has his hands full on us alone as it is..
:D
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 9:40 AM
Keep watching the skies! :deathstar
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 11:34 AM
Actually I do think there is aliens. I'm not sure if they have "visited" earth but when you think about it, there is an uncountable amount of stars out there. Some of them I'm sure has planets out there that are like ours, and can support life.
Leon and YD? You really don't believe in ET's? I guess it's a Netherlands thing ;)
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-14-2001, 12:04 PM
Of course there are liitle green men! Our universe would be way to boring without them! Also you know the theory about alternate universes? Well any way it basically says there are infinite alternate universes, and if thats true, than it means everything thats ever been thought of has to really exist in an alternate universe, so in some alternate universe Star Wars (and aliens) really exist! That is if the theory is correct.

Actually I heard this from a friend of mine (yeah I have a few) and he put it much more diplomatically, but I can't remember exactly what he said! So, I if you think this it totally ludacrist then don't blame me! :D
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 12:07 PM
:evil2: Trust no-one!:evil2:
 Tie Guy
08-14-2001, 12:26 PM
The way i look at it is:

1: Why would God bother to create the entire universe if he only put one inhabittable world in it? To impress us?

2: I don't believe that aliens were metioned in the bible because if there are any, they don't matter to us coz we will never see or know them.

3: Who cares if there are aliens, we've been watching way to many movies. The idea of aliens was probably invented by some entertaiment guy, and that is why so many people believe it.

4: The fact that so many people think that aliens exist because they saw movies shows that many of the things that are "found" are found because people WANT to find aliens.
 Young David
08-14-2001, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by thrawn12786
... Well any way it basically says there are infinite alternate universes, and if thats true, than it means everything thats ever been thought of has to really exist in an alternate universe, so in some alternate universe Star Wars (and aliens) really exist! That is if the theory is correct ...

That is the most wacko theory I've ever heard ...
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
The way i look at it is:

1: Why would God bother to create the entire universe if he only put one inhabittable world in it? To impress us?

2: I don't believe that aliens were metioned in the bible because if there are any, they don't matter to us coz we will never see or know them.

3: Who cares if there are aliens, we've been watching way to many movies. The idea of aliens was probably invented by some entertaiment guy, and that is why so many people believe it.

4: The fact that so many people think that aliens exist because they saw movies shows that many of the things that are "found" are found because people WANT to find aliens.
Why does everyone put God into it!? To some God doesn't exist! So all your arguements that deal with God are thrown right out!
What Scientific proof do you have that ET's do are do not exist?
 Tie Guy
08-14-2001, 12:50 PM
Well, i gave you two practical reasons, although i believe that God has the answer to every mystery, and scientific or practical answers are not always needed.
 Wraith 5
08-14-2001, 12:52 PM
The way i see it we know aliens are real!!!

If you say that god is real and he created all things, then he can't be human, (like us) so he must be an alien.... :D
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Wraith 5
The way i see it we know aliens are real!!!

If you say that god is real and he created all things, then he can't be human, (like us) so he must be an alien.... :D
Wraith, I like your logic ;)
 Lord JayVizIon
08-14-2001, 12:58 PM
well, i believe in God but i've learned that religion and science DO NOT go hand in hand. there have been many arguments in the history of science due to religious belief (such as the theory of evolution and why Darwin's idea wasn't accepted for quite sometime).

i don't know about any alternate universe theory or what not, but the basis for all life is water. if a planet can sustain water, then there's a sure bet that life is on it.
 Wraith 5
08-14-2001, 1:01 PM
Jay...

Just because all live on planet earth is water based doesn't mean that there can't be life based on something else.

Also i thought we were carbon based life forums???
 Lord JayVizIon
08-14-2001, 1:06 PM
wraith,
just b/c water is on a planet doesn't guarantee that life is on it. i don't think i mentioned that in my statement. and no carbon is not the basis of life. we ARE 75 percent water, and as far as i know, life wouldn't exist without it. we use carbon from organic substances, it combines with oxygen to form the gas we expire, but it is not the basis of all life.
 Wraith 5
08-14-2001, 1:16 PM
I knew someone would have the answer to my question!!!
 Young David
08-14-2001, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon
well, i believe in God but i've learned that religion and science DO NOT go hand in hand. ...

I don't think that is entirely true. Darwing was a believing man. He didn't rebel against God, but against the church. Darwin just wanted to explain what his bible did not tell him.

Science doesn't want to believe that the earth was made in 7 days ... and with that they also scrap the whole idea of creation.

Christians on the other hand don't want to hear any alternatives to Genesis ... so they don't bother about science.

It's not that they can't go hand-in-hand ... they just don't want to.
 Sherack Nhar
08-14-2001, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by Kvan

Why does everyone put God into it!? To some God doesn't exist!
*raises hand*

I'm sure there are other living beings outside our beloved planet Earth. People seem to associate E.Ts with little green bipedals. But it could be something else entirely. A bacteria, some unicellular being, maybe a flower... These are living things too, and I can hardly believe that there isn't a single planet in the universe apart from ours that could host at least one of these beings...
 Clefo
08-14-2001, 1:34 PM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

*raises hand*

I'm sure there are other living beings outside our beloved planet Earth. People seem to associate E.Ts with little green bipedals. But it could be something else entirely. A bacteria, some unicellular being, maybe a flower... These are living things too, and I can hardly believe that there isn't a single planet in the universe apart from ours that could host at least one of these beings...

I agree totally. The aliens don't have to be civilized or bipedial it could be just some herds of Lupin (Dog for those of you who are slow) like animals or bactiera or plants.

And please don't get God into this, it just seems an idiots way out of a debate.

I'm Angostic by the way in case you wanted to call me an athiest
 Ewok14
08-14-2001, 1:43 PM
I Reckon that Aliens are real because sienticsts reckon were alien to this planet wich leads to the question where did WE Come From???????????????.Or Is there life on the planet where we came from????????

Any Way God doesn't Exist!!:ben: :emperor:
 Young David
08-14-2001, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by Ewok14
Any Way God doesn't Exist!!:ben: :emperor:

As far as I know, the believes of millions of people aren't based on the fact that aliens exist or not ...

However, (gee, sounding like Tuvok). At least two worldwide religions and the believes of millions of people are based on what you simply deny in that one simple phrase ... those people are also on these boards.

So if you want to say that you don't believe God exist, than that's okay ... youre loss I'd say. But don't go throwing it around like a fact, cause that is insulting.
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by Young David

As far as I know, the believes of millions of people aren't based on the fact that aliens exist or not ...

However, (gee, sounding like Tuvok). At least two worldwide religions and the believes of millions of people are based on what you simply deny in that one simple phrase ... those people are also on these boards.

So if you want to say that you don't believe God exist, than that's okay ... youre loss I'd say. But don't go throwing it around like a fact, cause that is insulting.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with YD on this one. It's one thing to theoreticly say God exists or not, but when you say He doesn't! Like the way you did, and don't back up your theories your looking kind of childish...like me! :D
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 2:19 PM
Keep watching the skies (or keep sending stuff in).. :deathstar :thrawn: :koon: :tie: :naboo:
 Paragon_Leon
08-14-2001, 2:20 PM
well, Clefo, your being agnostic doesn't necessarily mean we 'can't be allowed to put God into it'..
I reckon God is as real to me as some people here are so certain of alien life. Have they seen alien life ? No way. Do they think it's plausible to say that it exist because of the vastness of the universe ? Yep. they do. With that very same logic i say there should be a Creator just by looking at this planet, it's nature, our minds, 'soul' if you will, and the whole complex way it's structured.
Do i find it plausible to say that it didn't come from two atoms colliding ? Yep. i do.
Have i ever seen God ? No, i haven't. But i have seen lives changed because of Him.

My two cents.. :D

btw here's hoping we don't slam each other for each other's beliefs here.. let's keep those high moral standards ! Yipee ! :cool:
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
well, Clefo, your being agnostic doesn't necessarily mean we 'can't be allowed to put God into it'..
I reckon God is as real to me as some people here are so certain of alien life. Have they seen alien life ? No way. Do they think it's plausible to say that it exist because of the vastness of the universe ? Yep. they do. With that very same logic i say there should be a Creator just by looking at this planet, it's nature, our minds, 'soul' if you will, and the whole complex way it's structured.
Do i find it plausible to say that it didn't come from two atoms colliding ? Yep. i do.
Have i ever seen God ? No, i haven't. But i have seen lives changed because of Him.

My two cents.. :D

btw here's hoping we don't slam each other for each other's beliefs here.. let's keep those high moral standards ! Yipee ! :cool:
You have a soul leon? ;)
I don't like it when people say there IS or ISN'T a God! And shove that on to people. Try and back it up with something or at least say, Thats what YOU believe!
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 2:28 PM
I WANT TO BELIEVE:x-wing: :vsd:
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 2:33 PM
:angel: Actually, you have a piont there, Leon.

Watch The X-Files for more cool phares
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 2:35 PM
Um, this is meant to be a discussion about ETs, not religion (I'll save that for another post).
 Paragon_Leon
08-14-2001, 2:38 PM
well Kvan, if you would have read my post like it says, you'd have found that i back it up with exactly the same reason why some people believe in aliens...

the hard part about a 'God' discussion (believe me, i've had a few in my lifetime...) is that the actions of those who claim to represent Him are looked at and judged...not God Himself or what He says of Himself. Why not look that up and see about that ? I wouldn't want to stand face to face with an alien and say "Well, i don't like you because that X-Files writer was a jerk to me" or something like that.. :D
See what i mean ?
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 2:41 PM
well Kvan, if you would have read my post like it says, you'd have found that i back it up with exactly the same reason why some people believe in aliens...

the hard part about a 'God' discussion (believe me, i've had a few in my lifetime...) is that the actions of those who claim to represent Him are looked at and judged...not God Himself or what He says of Himself. Why not look that up and see about that ? I wouldn't want to stand face to face with an alien and say "Well, i don't like you because that X-Files writer was a jerk to me" or something like that.. :D
See what i mean ?
Leon you seem to think I'm disagreeing with you. I'm not, I'm agreeing!
Me saying "I don't like it when people say there IS or ISN'T a God! And shove that on to people. Try and back it up with something or at least say, Thats what YOU believe" was in general, not directed at you.
 Paragon_Leon
08-14-2001, 2:43 PM
well that's wonderful ! :D :D
(**makes little dance in front of his pc**)

anyways, crazy-dog was right in that this isn't a thread about religion, but aliens.
let me put it this way; do some find alien life more plausible after seeing movies like Close Encounters, E.T., etc. ?
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 2:48 PM
well that's wonderful ! :D :D
(**makes little dance in front of his pc**)

anyways, crazy-dog was right in that this isn't a thread about religion, but aliens.
let me put it this way; do some find alien life more plausible after seeing movies like Close Encounters, E.T., etc. ?
Sure I find it more plausible after I see a movie. It gives me new theories to wonder about.
 Clefo
08-14-2001, 3:14 PM
Yeah, if you watch Star Trek then you know that aliens are humans with cheap makeup on ;)

Of course the aliens might be as stubborn about space travel as we are and haven't traveled very far.
 Paragon_Leon
08-14-2001, 3:32 PM
i always giggle a bit when people automatically asume that if aliens exist, they'd be infinitely superior...
it's a hint to the fact the those sci-fi shows of the 50s / 60s helped make alien-life 'believeable'
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 3:38 PM
i always giggle a bit when people automatically asume that if aliens exist, they'd be infinitely superior...
it's a hint to the fact the those sci-fi shows of the 50s / 60s helped make alien-life 'believeable'
I think people think they are superior because they built a starship that can travel great distances....we can't (yet, or that we know of).
BTW Off topic, Leon in another thread you mentioned (I think it was you) that you have a real (outside of the 'net) friend here, who is it again?
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 3:48 PM
Heh, heh, the X-Files writer was a jerk, heh, heh. :D . Good one Leon, :D , heh,heh.
 Paragon_Leon
08-14-2001, 3:56 PM
oooh... now i am going to sin ! I'm going off-topic ! :D
my friend is on holiday now, but he'll join the forums soon...
we used to make games on MSX and stuff.. you probably refer to that..

oh, and on the aliens-issue; why do we assume they would have space-ships ? I mean, we can send out probes like the Voyager-thing, right ? No reason why that couldn't be the best they could do too..
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 3:58 PM
oooh... now i am going to sin ! I'm going off-topic ! :D
my friend is on holiday now, but he'll join the forums soon...
we used to make games on MSX and stuff.. you probably refer to that..

oh, and on the aliens-issue; why do we assume they would have space-ships ? I mean, we can send out probes like the Voyager-thing, right ? No reason why that couldn't be the best they could do too..
Maybe they have sent out probes and have found us, and they are now coming to investigate personally...*spooky sounds*
 Clefo
08-14-2001, 3:59 PM
Then when they see the state of our planet, they'll do us a favor and vaporize it :)
 Lord JayVizIon
08-14-2001, 4:05 PM
in response to the dood who asked where did we come from, supposedly we originated from a unicellular organism. all life supposedly started from that organic soup theory about the main elements being formed from water, violent electrical storms, etc.

no i didn't put my basis on sci fi movies. i'm a student of science and combining what i know as well as watching all those NOVA episodes when i was a child helped me come up with a conclusion that there is definitely the possibility of life on earth.
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 4:31 PM
By the way, the guy who found that out was called Stanly Miller, I think.

KEEP IT GOING GUYS, WE'RE DOING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Young David
08-14-2001, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by Clefo
Then when they see the state of our planet, they'll do us a favor and vaporize it :)

And a survivor would ask: "Why'd you do that?"
And they say: "You were blocking our view!"
 Clefo
08-14-2001, 4:43 PM
Either that or they were building an Intergalactic Highway :)
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 5:24 PM
I'm going to type the conclusion now... any final posts?
 Young David
08-14-2001, 5:29 PM
What do you want to conclude? The fact that there are alliens or not? We don't know that ...

See ... I concluded it all in one line :chewie:
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 5:33 PM
THE CONCLUSION OF THE DEBATE ABOUT EXTRATERRASTRIAL LIFE (neat name, huh?)-

Life probably exists beyond this planet (human astronauts not counted). Most of us believe in ETs, while others remain skeptical.
However the conclusion gavered by the majority is : WE ARE NOT ALONE:thrawn:
 crazy_dog
08-14-2001, 5:36 PM
This thread is closing. You are watching CNN, goodnight.:speeder:
 Wraith 5
08-14-2001, 5:46 PM
I don't see this thread closed yet....

:D

Sorry for the usless post

I agree with YD you can't really say that.
 Lord JayVizIon
08-14-2001, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by crazy_dog
By the way, the guy who found that out was called Stanly Miller, I think.

KEEP IT GOING GUYS, WE'RE DOING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is called the Miller-Urey experiment......
Page: 1 of 2