Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Probe Droids

Page: 1 of 1
 mariners2001
11-06-2001, 12:41 AM
I don't know about you, but don't you guys think the probe droids are virtually pointless. I mean they have no special ability, they're just slow, weak, and can't attack worth beans. Seems like you might as well just send over a scout to check out the other team's base or your surroundings. I think they should have some special ability, maybe even like they did in that dreaded Force Commander game. Oh well. What do you guys think?
 dr_death
11-06-2001, 5:14 AM
they are cheap and they are used for scouting so when you first start the game you can scout the aread quiker than your other player or you can send some to your enemies base. it will slow you down a bit but it will slow him down more, ya ha haa (if anyone plays me, please dont do that):)
 Paragon_Leon
11-06-2001, 5:24 AM
i'm going to try and work out a strategy for probe-droids.
watch this space... from the sound of it, they can be a MAJOR bugger in the first five minutes of the game..
 Zygomaticus
11-06-2001, 9:24 AM
in the movie they r used for sending info back to the star destroyer
i didnt know they would be a unit in the game
 dlayers
11-06-2001, 9:27 AM
What do you mean would be? They are already in the demo and can be very deadly against workers as an initial rush threat especially when starting with low/normal resources.

And they are used for scouting...Darth Maul used a specialized probe droid to track down Qui in Phantom Menace.
 God
11-06-2001, 10:32 AM
i like using them in the later game just for laughs
 Paladin
11-06-2001, 4:22 PM
I tried rushing with them to kill the all my enemy workers. I had 15 of them and they were all killed by 5 workers!!
 Zygomaticus
11-06-2001, 5:36 PM
i havent played that much of the demo except the singlr player campaign
 Paragon_Leon
11-06-2001, 5:38 PM
I CAN'T even play the game on the computer hooked up to the internet here..

http://www.galacticbattles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3065)

The thread above outlines the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
 Lord JayVizIon
11-07-2001, 2:16 AM
Originally posted by Paladin
I tried rushing with them to kill the all my enemy workers. I had 15 of them and they were all killed by 5 workers!!

in the early stages of the game when you basically have no money, it's a good idea sometimes not to get your scout killed. scouting is crucial, so i wouldn't underestimate the use of probe droids...
 PhantomMenace
11-07-2001, 2:54 AM
Dude the probe droids are DETECTOR units...they seem pointless now but they will come in real handy when Jedi's start sneaking around cloaked killing your guys. They got so many units that are considered detector units but the only units that can go stealth are jedi right? Oh yes i forgot..you need a detector units somewhere near the shore to detect the gungan submarine.
 Darth_Nixon42
11-07-2001, 6:23 AM
Yes definiately phantom Menace,

In my opinion, i think we have only seen the tip of the iceburg of the effectivness of prob droids.

The way i see it is that you cant really make a black and blue, statements about a units effectiveness until we have seen it in action in tech level 4.

Does anyone remeber putting Overlords from SC around the perimiter of your base? Thats an example of probe droids effectiveness.

so lets just wait and see.......:p
 dr_death
11-07-2001, 7:22 AM
ahh, if they are detector units they will be usefull!!!!
 Com Raven
11-07-2001, 7:53 AM
How you manage to get 'em killed by workers with such a l.o.s. ???
 GIR
11-07-2001, 11:17 AM
Probes aren't that useful except for detecting cloaked units, its not really a scout.:cool:
 Paladin
11-07-2001, 5:08 PM
Originally posted by PhantomMenace
Dude the probe droids are DETECTOR units...they seem pointless now but they will come in real handy when Jedi's start sneaking around cloaked killing your guys. They got so many units that are considered detector units but the only units that can go stealth are jedi right? Oh yes i forgot..you need a detector units somewhere near the shore to detect the gungan submarine.

Yep. I just came to me. you have to throw a couple of them into your army so they could detect jedi and other cloacked units.
Good point.:)
 jeffdark
11-07-2001, 7:25 PM
scouts are cheaper than PD's and PD's only come at tech 2 or 3 or somethin...PD's cost 50 carbon, and scouts cost 30:) i think there cool..not because they're useful, but because it's so funny to send an army of 60 of em at a fortress :):D :atat:
 YH_Wedge
11-07-2001, 9:45 PM
Originally posted by Paladin

Yep. I just came to me. you have to throw a couple of them into your army so they could detect jedi and other cloacked units.
Good point.:)

You could do that but why not just use Bounty Hunters I think everyone has them in their army already so it would make the probe droids useless.
 darthfergie
11-07-2001, 9:47 PM
I mainly use probe droids as scouts early in the game...(before you can build a mech factory)
 Lord JayVizIon
11-07-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by PhantomMenace

detector units can serve as scout units too, you know...
 Knights_Q2
11-08-2001, 9:18 AM
Probe droids are awsome. They are the perfect speed for running around the map and getting tuskcats to follow you around. One time I gathered about 17 tuskcats and ran into the ememy base and just sat by his carbon. Sure my droid died but 17 tuskcats by his workers was pretty cool.
 GIR
11-08-2001, 11:31 AM
Whats the fun of running around killing tuskcats? They're not that fast and they don't have good attack. I guess i must repeat this. USE THE PROBE DROID AS A DETECTOR! NOT A SCOUT! THEY HAVE SCOUTS IN THE GAME ALREADY THEY'RE CALLED SCOUTS!Sorry for yelling. PD'S have good LOS but they're slow. So use 'em as detectors.

:naboo: :naboo: :naboo: :naboo: :naboo: :naboo: :naboo: :naboo: :naboo: :naboo:
Page: 1 of 1