Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

more civs??

Page: 1 of 1
 Zygomaticus
11-05-2001, 11:48 PM
do u think lucas arts should have made more civs to control as normal civs and not as toybox units.
look at aoe2 there are 13 civs if im not mistaken and the expansion has 5 more i think
i know its hard work but do u think they should have put some more like maybe ewoks.

or one of the civs out of the books like the yuvon zhou or whatever
 Jedi_Knight
11-05-2001, 11:53 PM
yep we do need a few more civs so in multiplayer games we can have a race no one else has picked
 dlayers
11-06-2001, 9:29 AM
Yep...I'm hoping for an expansion pack with the Chiss, Noghri, Hutts, Black Sun, etc...
 God
11-06-2001, 10:40 AM
i never thought of thre noghri. i think they should make another good watter civ like the mon cals that way there is more to pick on water mps besides the gungans
 PhantomMenace
11-06-2001, 12:44 PM
yeah Age of Kings had 13 civs, but most of thoser were copies of other civs as far as units...there were 4 castes if i remember...European, Oriental, Middle Eastern and Aztec. The only differences in the civs were their interface, pluses and minuses and their castle unit like the Huskarl. Galactic Battlegrounds has 6 distinct civs with their own art set...that gives them 2 more than Age of Kings! So those guys did indeed put in a lot of hard work.
 crazy_dog
11-06-2001, 12:46 PM
Heck, of coerse they'll make the x-pack. I mean they did it with AoK.
 Dvlos
11-06-2001, 3:10 PM
The problem with AoK is there are basically 3 buliding styles, all the troops/units are identical except for unique units/techs.

The nice thing about GB is that every civ looks unique all the units are unique, and the game world seems so far to be perfectly balanced (one race strong in mechs - another race strong in anti-mech, etc).

If there is an expansion pack they don't need to add in lotsa and lotsa civs, 2-4 would be more than enough. But like all things I am sure Lucasarts is hoping to see what the public thinks of this game and how well it sells, then they will release ay kind of exp. packs.
 Duncan
11-06-2001, 3:12 PM
I'd like to see the Mon Calamarian (sp?) and the Quarran (those squid face guys) as a civ. I believe that they come from the same planet so it would make sense.

Sullustans would be good too. They are supposed to be great space navigators so maybe make them weaker on the ground but really powerful in the air.

Hutts, your armies would consist of a bunch of mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Ewoks.

The Old Republic.

Maybe I'll think of more later.
 Zygomaticus
11-06-2001, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by PhantomMenace
yeah Age of Kings had 13 civs, but most of thoser were copies of other civs as far as units...there were 4 castes if i remember...European, Oriental, Middle Eastern and Aztec. The only differences in the civs were their interface, pluses and minuses and their castle unit like the Huskarl. Galactic Battlegrounds has 6 distinct civs with their own art set...that gives them 2 more than Age of Kings! So those guys did indeed put in a lot of hard work.

youve got a good point but 6 still is a small pack to choose from
 Compa_Mighty
11-06-2001, 5:40 PM
When will you people understand the x-pack has to have the Mon Cal!!! :D

Any other addition will be fine, as long as there are Mon Cal too.

:mon: :mon: :mon: :mon: :mon:
 Paragon_Leon
11-06-2001, 5:43 PM
With 6 civs to start with, the more interesting question is:
how MANY civs would be in an expansion ?
A 50 % increase of playable civs seems way too big to me... so i'd imagine there'd be two new civs later on.
 Compa_Mighty
11-06-2001, 5:52 PM
Yep, two civs. I'd like to see 2 from Episode 2 (Geonosians and Kaminoans) and 2 from the classic trilogy (Mon Calamari and..)

It's not likely though.
 Zygomaticus
11-06-2001, 5:54 PM
putting 2 new civs in an exp pack seems pointless but if you consider its equal to 33% of the original

and then too look at star craft it has just 3 civs!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
 PhantomMenace
11-06-2001, 5:59 PM
You guys are mentioning a lot of civs, but have you seen any of those civs units and buildings and such in any of the movies? THey used every single unit they could find in the star wars movies to make this game and for the obscure civs like the Wookies they had to make em all up and i believe if you ask the designers that it was quite a mouthful to make up cool and balanced civs out of thin air. I'm sure they dont want to do it again so If you want to see a race in which we've only seen one or two of their species in a movie and no ships and such then the chances are pretty slim they will be put into an x-pac because there will be so little foundation to build on. I think the Mon Cal got a real good chance of making it becaue of that admiral dude in the movie which shows the that Mon Cal are geared up to do battle if need be. Plus it woud be cool to see another amphibious race that would give the Gungans a run for their money as far as naval superiority! Also the fact that they are aquatic creatures gives a big playing field for a game designer.
 God
11-06-2001, 8:08 PM
can't forget the hapes cluster
 Captain Fett
11-06-2001, 8:28 PM
Alright here it is: They HAVE to make a x-pak, but they just shouldn't ever EVER put the Vong in it. The best are the obvious (Geonosians, Kaminoans, Trandoshans, Mon Calamari, Bothans, Noghri, Hutts, Black Sun, etc.) civs. The worst would be the Ewoks, Gamorreans, Tusken Raiders, Jawas, etc. because they are so primitive, but they might make good units in other civs.
 Master Yoda
11-06-2001, 9:07 PM
I like the idea of putting the Hapes Cluster in there as a civ. Them and the Mon Cal. those are the 2 civs I want for an expansion pack.NO VONG THOUGH!!!
 Compa_Mighty
11-06-2001, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Captain Fett
Alright here it is: They HAVE to make a x-pak, but they just shouldn't ever EVER put the Vong in it. The best are the obvious (Geonosians, Kaminoans, Trandoshans, Mon Calamari, Bothans, Noghri, Hutts, Black Sun, etc.) civs. The worst would be the Ewoks, Gamorreans, Tusken Raiders, Jawas, etc. because they are so primitive, but they might make good units in other civs.

Amen. I completely agree. Mostly about Mon Cal :mon:

BTW, what is the Hapes Cluster?
 GIR
11-06-2001, 10:51 PM
If ya wanna have a new toybox unit go for the NOGHRI. Wait....never mind.Heh
 Jedi_Knight
11-06-2001, 11:57 PM
a primative race could be in an ex. pack, the gungans were ;)
 GIR
11-07-2001, 12:51 AM
This may sound crappy but they could put the sullustans in a toybox even though their cannon fodder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH-Bye (Walks out of the room)
 duder
11-08-2001, 11:29 AM
I can very much imagine that an xp pack will come with the release of the new movie next summer....along with new civs that are introduced through the movie.....also a mercenary Hutt army would be a lot of fun to play I think...watching a fat Jabba roll around would be funny!
 crazy_dog
11-08-2001, 12:20 PM
Most sensible choices would be to make Ewoks and Trashodans playable. My personal other choices would be Vong and Criminal, although they have less reasons to be playable.

Aren't the Mon Cals already in the game as Rebel Trade units, so it would be pretty stupid to include them in, although I won't mind.

Hapes cluster? That might put off lots of people who have just seen the movies.

The Kaminions and Geonosians from Ep.2 would be quite obvios.

Aren't the Naboo part of the Old Republic ? Then it might also be pretty stupid.
Of course all of this is just my opinion, so don't be put off to post yours, just don't flame me about the Mon Cals, Vong and Hapes Cluster.
 GB_StormTrooper
11-08-2001, 2:43 PM
I think it would be kinda cool to include the Mon Cal or even though its a dumb idea the Ewoks. I think there tight.:ewok:
 Dvlos
11-08-2001, 3:00 PM
Originally posted by GB_StormTrooper
I think it would be kinda cool to include the Mon Cal or even though its a dumb idea the Ewoks. I think there tight.:ewok:

Unless you get 2 ewok units for 1 Population unit, as well as they have the ability to hide in trees and steal guns on dead soldiers, how the hell would that work? If the aforementioned were true, heck yeah they would be a cool civ to play. Imagine stealing a AT-ST and having these crazy ewoks pilot into a TC and watch it burn and crumble.

Only problem is Ewok techs would literally be AoK techs, maybe by the end you would have paladin ewoks.
 Bifficvs
11-08-2001, 9:59 PM
Ewoks would be cool, but hard to do. As for some units, couldn't they take a small movie role type character, that might have significance in the EU, and make them based on secondary sources like technical journals and that sort of thing? They could do a movie EP, and a EU EP, and have the movie one do Ep II civs, or from the other movies, like ewoks, or the Mon Cal...there's enough secondary sources to get stuff for them fairly easily. By the way, what's this toybox slang that I keep hearing?
Page: 1 of 1