Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

adventures games, dammit!

Page: 1 of 1
 Cookie3118
01-05-2002, 9:24 PM
Ok, so I'm beginning to feel incredibly deprived of new stuff in the adventure game field at the moment. I need suggestions/recommedations of titles I should look into. Note: I am very, *VERY* picky about my adventure games. Below is a list of a good chunk of the games I've played and loved. If anyone has suggestions (don't incl. any Star Wars game), please share :)

Monkey Island 1-4
Legend of Kyrandia 1-3
King's Quest 1-7 (the 8th one sucks)
All Indiana Jones games (except Infernal Machine)
Maniac Mansion/DOTT
Sam'n'Max
Torin's Passage
Zak McKracken
Grim Fandango
Quest for Glory series

anything? anything at all? :D

~Eva
 raVen_image
01-05-2002, 9:50 PM
Originally posted by Cookie3118

anything? anything at all?
If you can handle an adventure that contains NO verbal interaction and is quiet and reserved, where the stimulation is all in problem-solving, then I recommend MYST. Their are those people(cynics, really) that say it isn't an adventure game, but I found it very stimulating.

If you like mild horror, with gobs of background story to ponder, then I recommend the Gabriel Knight Series. Any are good, but I like the 3D gameplay and story of the 3rd, Blood of the Sacred; Blood of the DAMNED , best. The 1st GK has the most complex puzzles. The 2nd GK is the shortest, being that it's a Video, rather than computer graphics. All of the story-lines are interesting and thought-provoking
 Trapezoid
01-05-2002, 9:52 PM
Originally posted by Cookie3118
Ok, so I'm beginning to feel incredibly deprived of new stuff in the adventure game field at the moment. I need suggestions/recommedations of titles I should look into. Note: I am very, *VERY* picky about my adventure games. Below is a list of a good chunk of the games I've played and loved. If anyone has suggestions (don't incl. any Star Wars game), please share :)

Monkey Island 1-4
Legend of Kyrandia 1-3
King's Quest 1-7 (the 8th one sucks)
All Indiana Jones games (except Infernal Machine)
Maniac Mansion/DOTT
Sam'n'Max
Torin's Passage
Zak McKracken
Grim Fandango
Quest for Glory series

anything? anything at all? :D

~Eva

How about the Space Quest series? Or Simon the Sorceror.

Or check out the AGS (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk) scene.
 MurrayDude
01-05-2002, 11:42 PM
What about Journeyman:Legacy of Time? It is a great adventure game which even has some education! It's really cool. And I like am picky too. TOrin's passage kicked @$$!
 Gabez
01-06-2002, 6:50 AM
SIMON THE SORCER IS THE BEST!!
 Darnn
01-06-2002, 9:03 AM
What about... The rest of the LucasArts adventures?
 1.21 Jigawatts?
01-06-2002, 9:39 AM
Broken Sword or Circle of Blood (depending on which it is called where you come from)
and Broken Sword 2 are awesome games.
 Feral
01-06-2002, 9:54 AM
Try Full Throttle, Loom, or Simon the Sorceror.
 Gabez
01-06-2002, 10:22 AM
SIMON THE SORCERER, DAMMIT!
 The Adventurer
01-06-2002, 10:35 AM
Here is a list ofgreat games

Full Throttle
Discworld 1 and 2
Longest Journy
Zork Grand Inquisitor
Return to Zork
Grim Fandango
Indy and the Infernal Machine(not an adventure but very good)
Blade Runner
 Cookie3118
01-06-2002, 1:44 PM
keep the ideas coming! thanks guys :) i have played loom, btw; that's a fun one :) and where the HECK am i supposed to find simon the sorceror?? i looked! but i live in the US, where ppl shun adventure games. So it's hard to find non-LucasArts adventure titles. Anyone care to help me in my search, or, if possible, make copies the game for me?
 Tomas
01-06-2002, 2:37 PM
Try any of these games:
Orion Burger
Chewy: Escape from F5
Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private D1ck

Great games with lots of humor!
 Schmatz
01-06-2002, 2:48 PM
Originally posted by MurrayDude
What about Journeyman:Legacy of Time? It is a great adventure game which even has some education! It's really cool. And I like am picky too. TOrin's passage kicked @$$!

Yes I too recommend the Journeyman Project SERIES, not just the 3rd game... it's the greatest game series (besides Lucas adventures) ever.
 Sopabuena
01-06-2002, 4:36 PM
If you want to buy online:

www.playinggamesinteractive.com) (US)

Tomas: Those games are easy to find eh? :P
 Tomas
01-06-2002, 6:04 PM
Well, finding the game is part of the adventure, no? :)
 Cookie3118
01-06-2002, 7:53 PM
well said, tomas :)
 raVen_image
01-06-2002, 8:03 PM
Originally posted by The Adventurer
...Longest Journy...
**Thumps his forehead* How could I forget this one?

I throw my support behind The Longest Journey. It was aptly named. Hundreds of puzzles made this the longest adventure game I ever played.

The backgrounds and 3D interface are rich and atmospheric. The voice acting is good and the story is not too bad. Also, you may like playing a woman, for a change. (Most Adventure games have men in the main role)

Spend your money on this one, definately.
 spoon_man
01-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Forgetting TLJ? Shame on you raven, shaaaaaaaaame. Cookie, try the Gabriel Knight Series, The Discworld series, and The Longet Journey.
 Gabez
01-07-2002, 1:59 PM
(And don't forget Simon The Sorcerer!)
 BooJaka14m
01-07-2002, 4:22 PM
You should play Dig (by Lucas Arts). It's very good!
 Schmatz
01-07-2002, 4:39 PM
Originally posted by BooJaka14m

As do I. We are a dying breed BooJaka... everyone else hates the Dig story :(

The Longest Journey , just by the name itself, would be the longest adventure game ever, wouldn't it raven? :D
 ProfessorYoda
01-08-2002, 4:33 AM
Well, I also put my support behind TLJ, and "Sanitarium" is a pretty decent game as well - I don't think anyone has mentioned that one yet.
 Lemon Head
01-08-2002, 5:10 AM
Or Liesure Suit Larry, what a man
 scabb
01-13-2002, 11:08 AM
I know of a GREAT amateur game called
Pleurghburgh

Download it immediatly here:
http://hem.passagen.se/gaspop/)

Also check out Larry Vales, another good fan-game thing
http://vales.adventuredeveloper.com)

That Night Before
http://www.scurvyliver.com)

and Rob Blanc
http://www.geocities.com/yahtzee83)

All are free, all are fun, all are worth downloading - particularly Pleurghburgh!
 JBRAA
01-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by BooJaka14m

Indeed it is.
 Navhead
01-13-2002, 3:29 PM
Gabez, you're obsessed. ;)

I only have the second StS game, but it rocks.

And the LSL series are great too, maybe a bit hard.
 dark spirit
01-14-2002, 4:49 PM
SIMON THE SORCEROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND THE FEEBLE FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BOTH VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FEEBLE FILES EXTREMELY HARD!!!
HAD TO BUY HINT BOOK DAMN THEM!!!!!!!
 Gabez
01-19-2002, 6:49 AM
I think Simon The Sorcerer I is better than II, but they're all good.
 Crocodilic
01-19-2002, 9:58 AM
You Liked Escape from Monkey Island? :eek: It wasnt as good as the others and if i hadnt played them i doubt i would have gone and bought it. Grim Fandango was really good though, I want another Grim Fandango. We can only hope that Lucas Arts will announce an adventure game this year. Something new would be cool. Perhaps with no monkeys. FT2 would be great and remember that was suggested in a LEC chat with Thingy and whasisname.
 The Adventurer
01-19-2002, 10:02 AM
I like EMI. I thought it was a pretty good game.l Not the best adventurer ever but had its moments
 Gabez
01-19-2002, 12:47 PM
I totally agree with you, Adventurer guy.
 Yoha
01-19-2002, 1:57 PM
um, just out of curiousity gabez, is that a sock puppet on your av?
:confused:
 Gabez
01-19-2002, 2:42 PM
Tee, no :) It's supposed to be a newt. I drew it myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really.
 Navhead
01-20-2002, 11:30 AM
hee, it does look like a sock puppet. ;)

now that I finally have a 'credit card', I might as well order Simon 1 and hope it works. :)

Edit: wrote muppet first time. is there a difference though? :)
 Schmatz
01-20-2002, 3:19 PM
Mop + Puppet = Muppet.
 Yoha
01-20-2002, 11:24 PM
lol, good to know :D

oooh, muppets... :: eyes light up like 3 year old ::
 Yoha
01-20-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Schmatz
Mop + Puppet = Muppet.
:rolleyes:
and thank you Homer :p ;)
 Tall Guy
01-21-2002, 8:12 AM
please...all this addition is messin my head!!
 elTee
01-21-2002, 11:18 AM
***whoooooooooooooooooo............ addition.............***
Sorry, flashback to DOTT. But I swapped addition for whatever Laverne said.. wait a minute... no, its gone. Forget it then. :swear:
 Gabez
01-22-2002, 2:22 PM
I don't really mind the fact that it looks like a Sock Puppet (or Muppet, if you wish). It makes me look mad, and that's good!
 elTee
01-22-2002, 4:42 PM
Angry-mad
or
kerraZZZZy-mad?
 Yoha
01-22-2002, 6:28 PM
disgruntled, maybe. but mad?
 itsgood2slide
01-23-2002, 5:57 AM
As much as I love Lucas Arts Adventures - especially DOTT & Grim fandango, the best game of all time has to be The Last Express.

I wrote a review on my web-site but I think Games Domain's Travellors Diary said it best: http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/adventure/td/tle.html)

If you love adventure games as much as I do you really should make it your purpose in life to find this game.

OK heres some nice things the press had to say:

"Excels in almost every way I look at it. Jordan Mechner has taken adventure gaming to a new level. Hence The Last Express has been designated with a Gold award. If there was anything higher, I would have used that! All gamers must play this one!"
Games Domain

"An adventure game without equal. A well-thought out plot that grips you from the beginning and keeps you glued to your computer until its heart-pounding ending. In short, the game is brilliant. An innovative masterpiece that has set a new standard for the adventure game genre. Highly recommended."
Nexus Gaming

"Lovely graphics and mood are complimented by good acting and a rich story line. Exceptionally beautiful and immersive. A unique and polished adventure game with a strong, sustained, historical flavor."
PC Gamer

"Plays not only well, but phenomenally so. Gripping... amazing... truly unique. The best adventure game I have ever played... nothing has ever come near. Beautiful, skillfully crafted, and worth every penny and hour of your time."
Games Domain

Well if I have not convinced you by now I'll eat my hat. Also check out Toonstruck - very similar to DOTT and very funny at times.
 Lemon Head
01-23-2002, 7:02 AM
I think Toonstruck is superb, ok some of the Drew/Cartoon integration was dodgy, but hey i still think it's fab-tastic.
 elTee
01-23-2002, 3:21 PM
Did anyone ever play 'The Flight of the Amazon Queen'? I loved that game!
 xkeys
01-23-2002, 6:11 PM
Originally posted by LucasTones
Did anyone ever play 'The Flight of the Amazon Queen'? I loved that game!

So did I. The game has an undeniable LEC influence and while it's not quite up to the LEC standards, it's still very enjoyable.
Page: 1 of 1