Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

LucasArts Movie

Page: 1 of 1
 elTee
01-04-2002, 3:39 PM
Ok, if you had to pick ONE LucasArts game to be made into a movie, or to base a movie on, which would it be and WHY?
I reckon Day of the Tentacle. Its so funny, and it would be easier to film than many of the others cos real actors could be used and we wouldnt moan that they didn't look or sound right. That whole scene with the IRS was fantastic, so was the whole george Washington thing. That said, I really loved the bit where...(etc etc etc ad infinitum)
 dark spirit
01-04-2002, 3:41 PM
Hmm a reasonable Idea! but I think zak mckracken and the alien mindbenders would be an even better one to do!
 elTee
01-04-2002, 3:44 PM
It'd be cool, but no-one really knows about it - it was never thier most popular game. I mean, I love it, so do a lot of you, but if you saw a trailer how many people would jump up and say 'Cool! I always wanted them to do this one!'?
 dark spirit
01-04-2002, 3:52 PM
me and everyone I bribed!:D
 elTee
01-04-2002, 3:54 PM
I'd love it if they made Zak: the movie, but I think its near the bottom of my list.
 dark spirit
01-04-2002, 4:01 PM
it's the one that would translate best to a movie though!
 Flirbnic
01-04-2002, 4:03 PM
I want to make a Monkey Island movie. (If anyone else did, I'd be afraid it would end up being like EMI)
 elTee
01-04-2002, 4:07 PM
I understand that.
 dark spirit
01-04-2002, 4:08 PM
can anyone on this entire forum restrain themselves from filling a thread with hatred for EMI?
 QueZTone
01-04-2002, 4:27 PM
hmm, nahh wouldnt like that...they'd prolly mess up anyway :) I know i could have a little more faith, but what can you expect after hearing NSYNC might feature in Ep2 :D
 Schmatz
01-04-2002, 8:21 PM
Might? Oh no they are... I hope they die...

You make a Monkey Island movie, you'll get the girl from titanic as Elaine and some goon (Brad Pitt, Decraprio, that anakin skywalker baby) to be Guybrush... and then everyone would be mad, etc.

I think they should make a movie out of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It's gotta be the easiest to make a movie on :rolleyes: :D:D:D :rolleyes:
 Meksilon
01-04-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Flirbnic
I want to make a Monkey Island movie. (If anyone else did, I'd be afraid it would end up being like EMI)

NOW you're talking! Excepet I think I should make it so it's olny based on the fisrt 2 games!

=mek=
 Navhead
01-05-2002, 6:12 AM
Originally posted by Meksilon

NOW you're talking! Excepet I think I should make it so it's olny based on the fisrt 2 games!

=mek=

I think everyone's getting fed up with your hatred for CMI/EMI.

So stuff it.

But a MI movie would be great.
 Gabez
01-05-2002, 8:02 AM
Yeah, stuff it Mek!
 Trapezoid
01-05-2002, 1:30 PM
Yeah, that's unconditional hatred if I've ever seen it.

But I think Monkey Island would make a cool movie or two. But I agree, only the first two games. Why? I don't know, I love CMI and EMI, but the first two games are just more in a movie type format. Plus there hasn't been a good pirate movie in a while.
Grim Fandango would make a cool 3D film.
And I think the Sam & Max franchise should grace the silver screen. It would probably work best as an animated film, but I love the idea of a couple of comedians with minimalistic make up jobs playing Sam and Max. LOTR Hobbit technology could be used to make Max look shorter. I don't know who could play the freelance police though. Any idea?
 elTee
01-05-2002, 4:12 PM
About a Monkey Island movie - unfortunately, the number of people who would treat this like the rest of the world treats Star Wars is in its thousands. Based on this, any movie makers would have to look back to the most recent pirate film - Cutthroat Island - a flop. Maybe thats what you meant trap?
 Schmatz
01-05-2002, 4:32 PM
So, the Last Crusade movie is a no go, eh?
 Trapezoid
01-05-2002, 4:37 PM
In the movie industry the pirate theme is rather overlooked. Hollywood is often said to have run out of ideas, and while making a decade-old game isn't a fresh new thing, the pirate genre is just largely untapped and unexplored. Since so few people are familliar with the game, it would be presented as a movie, not an adaptation.
 Schmatz
01-05-2002, 4:43 PM
Yes but 'Hook' the Peter Pan Movie with Robin Williams was awesome... I thought it was such a cool pirate movie.
 elTee
01-05-2002, 5:24 PM
I love Hook too. It reminds me a lot of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. (NOT SORCERERS STONE)
All I'm saying is that I doubt Monkey Island will be made into a movie of any form because (a) its established fan base is too small, and (b) all the evidence from other Pirate movies is that there is no money to be made in them. I agree, however, that it is an untapped market, and maybe a well made pirate film which grosses well could generate new interest in the subject, and then the possibility of a Monkey Island film would be a lot greater.
I don't want you all to think I don't want there to be a Monkey Island film; I really do, but I think that there are too many people who could screw it up. For example; Spielbergs version of Harry Potter was to make one 2 hour movie based on the first two books. Fans would have hated this, and as a result a new director was chosen. If it were Monkey Island though, the concentration would not have been on the existing fans, but trying to get new ones. If we apply this to the Harry Potter example, then Spielberg would have made it, and then the fans would have hated the film, however much everyone else liked it. As we are the Monkey Island fans, we have to say that we would rather have no movie than a bad movie.
Oh and schmatz - something amazing has happened! Look, whilst we were all talking, George Lucas came across your message, and using his time machine - well, see for yourself: http://www.indianajones.com/chapter25.html) - maybe you'll be able to take credit for this now?
 Trapezoid
01-05-2002, 5:54 PM
Oh well, I'm still sticking by my Sam 'n' Max idea.
How about Lesley Nielson and Paul Ruebens as Sam and Max?
 MurrayDude
01-05-2002, 11:03 PM
Didn't he get arrested for j@ckin' off?

"I have come to invade your planet." is to Alien
as
"I have come to invade your privacy." is to Michael Jackson
 Trapezoid
01-05-2002, 11:23 PM
I can assure you Mr. Nielson has never been arrested for public masturbation.

Oh, Paul Ruebens? Yah, that was ten years ago. They say he wanted to end the Pee Wee Herman franchise.
 Metallus
01-05-2002, 11:40 PM
I want a Grim Fandango movie. Escapism is big at the box office these days.
 Cookie3118
01-06-2002, 12:57 AM
i can see a movie for 'the secret of monkey island' working....very, very well. it just has to be worked out VERY carefully, and we need to not be so damn nit-picky (but i guess the critics will never stop). i think playing off the story of MI1 *ALONE* would actually work out nicely. as long as they promise to not make any more ever, ever, ever again. the thought of a sequel would be horrific, because it means one thing - nothing comes in pairs anymore, especially movies. they're ALL trilogies, kids. i can't quite picture a successful trilogy, as i fear adapting any of the other MI stories into movie form. and they won't make a completely new story, cuz that would be too awkward. know what i mean? with careful planning, casting, scripting, and plenty pieces'o'eight, i'd be excited to see a SMI movie. my #1 suggestion: cast a nobody actor to play guybrush. NO top-line celebrity, not even a familiar name. just a new comer or underdog. :)
 Trapezoid
01-06-2002, 1:34 AM
Ba- ba- but Monkey Island 2 is--.... if you make MI1 you NEED to make MI2. It can't be that hard to just refuse to make anything after that. Although.... Maybe Ron could come up with a MI3 script.
 Flirbnic
01-06-2002, 3:56 AM
MI2 is better, IMO. If only one Monkey Island movie was to be made, it would have to be MI2... but then you'd need to make MI1, so both of them have to be made.
And they should be long movies.
 Gabez
01-06-2002, 6:48 AM
Perhaps Monkey Island 1 2 and and Ron's 3 all in one 3 hour movie. Except I don't think it woruld work very well. And what thingy said about "trilogies never work" is quite obviously complete Codswallop. Look at the original Star Wars. Or what will almost certainly be LOTR.
 Trapezoid
01-06-2002, 12:34 PM
It doesn't matter. If they made MI1 and then MI2, it doesn't mean that they HAVE to make MI3.
 Gabez
01-06-2002, 2:44 PM
Yes it does. Monkey Island 1 and 2 are only 1/3 of the story... But I can't see MI working as a movie, anyway.
 Trapezoid
01-06-2002, 2:49 PM
Why not? The storyline is very movieish.
 Feral
01-06-2002, 3:14 PM
'Tis...imagine the Captain Smirk sequence in a movie :) Very 'Mask of Zorro'
 Gabez
01-06-2002, 3:16 PM
I just feel that the storyline is far better suited for a game. I mean... a commedy about pirates? Yeah, it could work but it wouldn't really be Monkey Island. I dunno... I wouldn't make any complaints if they DID make a movie, but I'm not too enthustiastic on the idea either.
 Flirbnic
01-06-2002, 3:17 PM
Originally posted by Gabez
Perhaps Monkey Island 1 2 and and Ron's 3 all in one 3 hour movie.

No.

I'd much rather have three movies, each 3 hours long.
 Gabez
01-06-2002, 3:19 PM
Bah, I don't think there's enough stuff to fill an entire movie. But maybe I need to play the games again...
 Trapezoid
01-06-2002, 4:17 PM
Oh, there's enough stuff to fill up a movie. Around a year ago I wrote half of a screenplay adaptation of MI1 (not seriously, just for practice). I stopped writing it at the end of the Melee segment, and it was half the length of an average screenplay.

I think if there was going to be a movie, though, they should re do the plot, make the Melee part shorter, and make the journey to Monkey Island more longer and complicated. The game's plot isn't the standard 3-act type.

Act 2 is generally the longest act in movies, but perhaps MI could be divided into three acts of about 40 minutes each. Guybrush learning how to be a pirate on Melee, Guybrush's journey to Monkey Island to save Elaine, and Guybrush's arrival on Monkey Island plus the climactic battle on Melee.
 Flirbnic
01-06-2002, 5:03 PM
It would have to be rewritten to exclude most of the puzzles... it would be pretty boring watching Guybrush complete all of those, and it would spoil it for anyone that hasn't beaten the games.
 Lemon Head
01-07-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Metallus
I want a Grim Fandango movie. Escapism is big at the box office these days. I was getting really worried for a moment that no one was going to mention this.

If it was done using animation (of any sort) this could be huge, they wouldn't even have to go over the games storyline, they could use a new one still in the land of the dead and it would be fantastic.

You could even have...*sigh*...an epic Grim Fandango Trilogy

Excuse me *sniff* I have something in my eye
 Gabez
01-07-2002, 12:25 PM
If they did do an MI movie, Ron Gilbert having an active role in it would be a must. They would have to re-write it a fair amount, and they'd need someone who really understands the game. That's the reason I didn't think an MI movie would work, but if they re-wrote bits of it, it might be quite good. I think I'd enjoy a Grim Fandango movie, more though.
 Metallus
01-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Lemon Head
Excuse me *sniff* I have something in my eye

*hands Lemon Head a tissue*

I'd like a different Land of the Dead movie, since the original GF story and game was already so cinematic.
 Gabez
01-07-2002, 12:47 PM
I totally agree with Mr Met. It wouldn't be hard to create an original story, anyway, seeing as the game has so much depth and so much potential for other plots... Grim Fandango gave you a real fealing that you were part of something BIG, and a whole underworld was going on around you. Not only that, but it mentioned other underworlds making you feel as if you were part of a gigantic fantasy world of epic proportions. No other game that I've ever played can claim to do the same thing.
 elTee
01-09-2002, 4:13 AM
Ha ha ha! I looked on the top ten of everything: biggest movie flops of all time:
1. Cutthroat Island
10. Pirates

Two of the top ten biggest flops, including NUMBER 1 are based on pirating. No-one would give monkey Island a green light unless it was a solid script.
GF would work very well though...
 QueZTone
01-09-2002, 4:18 AM
hmm i kinda liked Cuthroat Island, although I didn't entirely like the panical Miss
 Erwin_Br
01-09-2002, 5:32 AM
A Monkey Island film sounds good, but only if Dominic Armato colours his hair blonde and plays Guybrush. Oh, and also only if they feature a geneticly manipulated monkey with three heads.

:rolleyes:I guess I don't want a Monkey Island movie at all...

I would love an animated Sam and Max movie though.

--Erwin
 Lemon Head
01-09-2002, 7:21 AM
Originally posted by Erwin_Br
I would love an animated Sam and Max movie though.I agree, a cel-shaded sam n max would rule, as long as they didn't kiddy-ise it. If it kept the sordid and twisted humour it could be spectacular, also they should get voice actors that are more like the ones in Hit The Road, rather than the cartoon series.

If they made a GF movie i reckon it would be spoiled by 2d animation, no matter how well it was done. Modelling is a unique style (a la the nightmare before christmas) but i'm not sure if it's crisp enough for GF. As far as i can see, only a beautifully rendered 3D production (like Final Fantasy, only less fleshy) would pass muster on this, tho that might be my bias towards the original game.

Any other ideas?
 Tall Guy
01-09-2002, 8:42 AM
Well i would love a Grim Fandango game but i dont know if the whole thing would work..damn good stoy tho!! ;)
 Trapezoid
01-09-2002, 9:00 AM
Yoda Stories-- the Movie.
 Darnn
01-10-2002, 9:10 AM
Yes, that would be awesome, as we would finally see what The Force actually looks like once Luke passes twenty five quests.
Page: 1 of 1