Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Year 3 Help Required

Page: 1 of 1
 stranger
01-02-2002, 9:03 AM
Hi there,
I am playing year 3 and are having problem with the section involving the cranes. I move the crane sucessfully around and detach the scoop. I then move the crane back round to the conveyor and lower the chain which bunches up at the top (the conveyor is moving upwards towards the crane). I am having serious difficulty trying to get off the conveyor. I must have tried dozens of times now and no go. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

stranger
 MeddlingMonk
01-02-2002, 10:52 AM
I hope you save often because you're going to have to go back to before you started fooling with the crane. On the sea floor next to the conveyor belt is a switch. Flip it, which will cause the belt to start running in the opposite direction. The chain won't bunch up at the top and you won't have any problem getting off the belt.
 stranger
01-02-2002, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by MeddlingMonk
I hope you save often because you're going to have to go back to before you started fooling with the crane. On the sea floor next to the conveyor belt is a switch. Flip it, which will cause the belt to start running in the opposite direction. The chain won't bunch up at the top and you won't have any problem getting off the belt.

Thanks for the reply. My question then is how do I get to the top of the conveyor with it running downwards - I tried doing this (many times) and was unsuccessful - hence I got off and flipped the switch to go up.

Thanks,

stranger
 MeddlingMonk
01-02-2002, 5:40 PM
You don't really need to do anything with the conveyor belt and the crane until you're ready to leave the island. But if you really want to, leave the belt running downward and have Manny run up it. Just never, ever have the belt running upwards when you drop the chain on it.
 Snowdrop
01-21-2002, 4:27 PM
I'm having the same trouble, but, unfortunately your hint didn't help. I loaded a game before I ever touched the belt and then tried to reverse the flow (so that it moved toward the edge) and tried to get up. Nothing I do will get Manny up to the crane.
Do I need to do everything else with Meche and the kids first for it to work?

I can leave the belt as it is origionally and get the chain dropped on the belt. But, I sure can't figure out how to get up to be able to drop the crane without having the belt move upward. And, if I *do* drop it with the belt moving upward, there is no way to get Manny down to the switch again.

Do you have any other advice? 'Stranger', did you end up figuring how to get through this?

Snow.
 MeddlingMonk
01-21-2002, 8:42 PM
OK, let's see if I can be a little less muddled about this. I'll be restating a lot, but that's just trying to be crystal clear and not to imply anything.

To begin with, when you first encounter the belt it's running downwards. That means, if Manny climbs up onto it and stands still, the belt will carry him toward the edge.

If you flip the switch beside the belt, the belt will then run upwards. Meaning, if Manny gets on the belt and stands still, it'll carry him to the surface (and the crane).

But, when you're at the beginning of the factory island segment, you DON'T want to flip the switch! Just stay away from it!

The fact is, there's really no reason to go up on the belt before the game makes it unavoidable. So, staying away from it is a good idea, especially if you have a very fast computer. But if you do want to go onto the belt early on (you have a touching but irrelevant reunion with Glottis if you do), your only hope of getting off again is to have the belt running downwards.

If, like Snowdrop, you want to go up the belt when it's running downwards, you must run up it. And if on the slight chance you don't know how, that means hold down a SHIFT key while holding down the UP ARROW key. If Manny runs, he can get up the belt if it's running downwards.

It looks as if Snowdrop has done most of what's needed at the factory island. So what comes next is going to be something of a spoiler. I'm going to outline the most stress-free way through the factory island. What's below assumes you've done just about everything but are stuck on the belt. Okay...

First, like I said, leave that switch alone. Go through the cutscene about meeting Meche and getting clobbered by Domino. Talk to the kids and get the tiny hammer. Talk to Meche and learn of her desire for a gun. Fiddle with the ashtray to get the stockings. Talk to Chepito to get a gun and his Bust-all. Give gun to Meche. Break into vault. Escape from vault. This is the point when the belt is unavoidable. Go to crane. Before moving crane, lower chain. Leave crane and use Bust-all on scoop. Go back to crane, lower chain and rip out coral crushers. Move crane to other side of island. Lower chain again. Because the belt is running downwards, the chain will run along the length to the edge. Once this happens you can go up and down the belt with ease no matter how fast your computer is. Go see Glottis now if you want. Otherwise, now is the time to fiddle with the switch. Once the chain is moved to where it needs to be, you can use the crain to raise the ship.

If you flip the switch too soon, the chain will bunch up at the top of the belt and once you go down the belt in this situation you'll never get off (if you have a fast machine--under 400 MHz it can be done, but not over).

With luck this'll clear everything up.
 aaron_k
02-09-2002, 12:45 PM
HEY i know exactly how u feel i too spent ages on that bit. u see u go bak into the crane and lift up the chain then go out of the crane and down the conveyer belt, flip the switch then use run to go up the conveyer belt, NOW put down the chain and you will be able to go down the conveyer belt with the chain there. THERE YA go enjoy the rest
Page: 1 of 1