Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Internal Speaker Music

Page: 1 of 1
 dark spirit
12-31-2001, 6:20 PM
I thought the old internal speaker music on the old SCUMM games was pretty good and better than some of the music in games at the moment!

What does everyone else think?
 Schmatz
12-31-2001, 6:25 PM
Usually the internal speaker sounds were using MIDI, and I like some MIDIs more than the real music (for some songs)
 dark spirit
12-31-2001, 6:28 PM
The themes from zak mckraacken and maniac mansion were my favourites!
 Schmatz
12-31-2001, 6:33 PM
I really should play them :p
 Meksilon
12-31-2001, 6:34 PM
Beleive it or not the internal speaker produces digital sount, and unlike conventinal speakers it can make complealty constant decible leveles with the same pich at the same volume... which is what makes it special.

I once had a really good program that played any MIDI through the PC-Speaker, it's a shame that prog dosen't work on faster (FAT32?) systems.

=mek=
 dark spirit
12-31-2001, 6:35 PM
would it work on a 100mhz pentium 1?
 Meksilon
12-31-2001, 6:42 PM
I'd say so, but I don't have it anymore... and it could be called anything but the name QV comes to mind (ro something like that, I don't want to commit myself here).

=mek=
 dark spirit
12-31-2001, 6:53 PM
any idea where I can get hold of it?
 JollyRoger
01-02-2002, 1:16 AM
i like it too, but i dont like how you cant control the volume, and its always loud
 Meksilon
01-02-2002, 5:51 AM
Originally posted by JollyRoger
i like it too, but i dont like how you cant control the volume, and its always loud

Aha! I WAS Right...

QuickView Ver. 1.02a
DOS based Multimedia viewer
No Windows is required!

Then again MIDI isn't listed...

- .VOC: through a Sound Blaster or the PC speaker

- .WAV: through a Sound Blaster or the PC speaker

...maybe in a diffrent version?

QuickView will run on any IBM PC compatible computer under DOS 3.0 or better with at least a 80286 processor. For viewing AVI files at least a 80386 processor is required. You must have a VGA card in your system. CGA, EGA and Hercules card are not supported. For Sound Blaster support you must have the Environment variable BLASTER set that contains port address, interrupt and DMA channel.

Anyway that's all I could dig up, I don't know the web address I just have the doc file! But WAV through the PCSPEAKER is even more useful... hehehehe

=mek=
 Mr. Teliot
01-04-2002, 9:43 AM
I remember that my neighbour could play some stupid song about mushrooms through his pc speaker. This was like 500 years ago so I was really impressed. I had never heard real recorded sounds come out of a pc before.

What's weird though is that I didn't think it was cool at all when my brothers amiga did it over and over again. heh.

:deathstar
 DaFan
01-04-2002, 1:03 PM
http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/)

is the site but it doesn't play through the internal

:Duel:
 Gabez
01-04-2002, 2:58 PM
Whenever I play an old Lucas Arts game the music sounds very basic, not anything like what the MIDIS sound like in windows. Does that mean I'm doing something wrong?
 elTee
01-04-2002, 3:45 PM
I loved the old internal sounds. You can get them to work on all the old LEC games (upto Sam n Max, I think) by going into dos and typing the command line like this:

c:\cd dott
c:\DOTT\dott i

The 'i' at the end always works.
On some of the re-releases it doesn't work though, because they're all updated. On the CD version of SOMI there is no internal sounds. On the re-release of Indy: Last Crusade the original internal music has been replaced by the updated MIDI score. To access the original internal, you load tha game as shown above (obviously replacing 'DOTT' with 'INDY256')
Page: 1 of 1