Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Year's Fandango

Page: 1 of 1
 MeddlingMonk
12-31-2001, 4:15 PM
A nameless port town lay on the edge of the Sea of Lament. It wasn’t actually nameless; in fact, it’s name was the only thing distinguishing from most of the other ports along the Sea of Lament. It’s name is simply unimportant. Like all the others it grew up where souls traveling across the Land of the Dead stopped to gather money or courage for the next stage of the journey.

The name of a particular bar near the docks is also unimportant. It’s only claim to distinction on this particular night was the giant, orange demon sitting with one lost soul for company at a rough table in a back corner. The mood at that table also differed from the rest of the bar. Where all the others (sailors and women of questionable—if not indictable—virtue, for the most part) were drunken, raucous, and exuberant, that one back table was drunken and moody. The soul was moody, at least. The demon appeared more annoyed than anything else.

Both, the soul and the demon, were dressed as sailors. Their clothes were new, but while the demon looked crisp in his, the soul managed to look like a loose sack of bones as he hunched over his pint.

The demon frowned a little as he looked as his friend stare into his mug. He gave a sharp sigh. “Jeez, Manny,” he grumbled, “what’d’ya expect to see in there?”

The soul stirred a little. “I’m contemplating my future,” he mumbled, mostly sloshing over the middle part of the longest word.

“I think that only works with tea,” Glottis said. “And you have to drink it first.”

Manny drained his mug and peered at the bottom.

“Any better?” Glottis asked.

“Nope,” Manny said and got up to go to the bar again. He came back with a refilled mug and dropped back in his chair. He looked into the mug for a second or two, then dunked a pretzel into it. He then stared at the damp pretzel as if unsure what to do with it now.

Glottis sighed again and looked at his watch. “About fifteen minutes left,” he said, then took a sip from his pitcher of beer.

“Hurrah,” Manny said sullenly and decided to change the beer-soaked pretzel for a dry one and eat it.

“What’s eating you, Manny?”

Manny paused his chewing to think, then answered, “Pretzel.”

“You—” Glottis stopped to shake his head. “C’mon, Manny. It’s New Year’s Eve! Cheer up, will ya? You’re actin’ like you’ve just lost your best friend.”

“Cheer up?” Manny asked in a demanding tone. He drained his mug. “Just what the…why should I cheer up about…what?” He pushed back his chair to get a refill.

“Stay put,” Glottis said, putting one massive hand on Manny’s arm while filling his mug from his pitcher.

“Thanks,” Manny said and drained the mug again. He was on his feet and heading for the bar before Glottis could stop him.

He returned unsteadily, mug in one hand and a bottle in the other. Once seated he took a swallow from the mug and then started working on getting the cap off the bottle.

“What’s that?” Glottis asked.

“Dunno,” Manny answered. “Picked it up when the bartender’s back was turned.” He got the cap off and took a drink. “Scotch,” he said. “Probably.”

“Too bad,” Glottis said. “Beer goes better with whiskey.”

“Fortunately I’m too tight to care.”

“Yeah,” Glottis said. “So are you gonna tell me why you’re drinking for two or what?”

“The other one.”

“What?”

“Yeah, that’s the reason.”

Glottis frowned.

“I’ll tell you what,” Manny said after a moment. “I’m making up for lost time. Kept holding back the past year. Too busy. Needed to keep a clear head and keep Carla from falling into the sea or something.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And I’ll tell you something else. What the hell was I doing with that club? I should’ve been out looking for Meche, right?”

“But we were looking, Manny.”

“No we weren’t.” Manny took a long drink from the bottle. “We needed to look where Domino found her.”

“OK,” Glottis said gamely, “so where was that?”

“I don’t know!” Manny snapped. “See what I mean?”

“Sure,” Glottis nodded slowly. “I see.”

Manny drained his mug and refilled it from the bottle. “Now you tell me why we’re on that damn bucket.”

“We’re going after Miss Colomar, remember? She’s on that cruise ship. When we catch up we’ll take her to the end of the road.”

“Sure, we will,” Manny said. “To us!” he said, raising the bottle, thought better of it and switched to the mug. “The three musketeers!”

“There’s only two of us, Manny,” Glottis said, “even if you are seeing double.”

“Nah, you’re big enough for two.”

“I resent the understatement,” Glottis said with a grin. He looked at his watch again. “Almost there,” he said. A countdown from ten started somewhere in the bar and Glottis shouted ‘Happy New Year!’ along with the rest. When he looked back at Manny, he saw that he had his head down on the table.

“Hey, Manny,” he said, giving him a nudge. Then a rough shake. Manny just snored. Glottis sighed and drained his pitcher. He went to the bar and paid the tab, including the stolen bottle of scotch. He returned to the table and gently slung Manny over his shoulder, made his way through the crowd and out into the cold night air.
 Schmatz
12-31-2001, 6:17 PM
Can someone summerize it for me? I'm too lazy to read it, but I bet it's good ;) :D
 Fender
12-31-2001, 8:43 PM
It is good.
 spoon_man
01-01-2002, 10:45 AM
It's alright . . . not great or anything.
 MeddlingMonk
01-01-2002, 11:57 AM
:p Summary: Manny's depressed New Year's Eve and gets pissed.
 Gabez
01-01-2002, 4:52 PM
Sounds great.

:manny:
 Schmatz
01-02-2002, 12:25 AM
Thanks Meddling! It must be good then lol!
 Metallus
01-05-2002, 3:35 PM
Hehe, that's awesome. Very nice work, 'Monk.
 MeddlingMonk
01-06-2002, 11:30 PM
Thanks. :) It's not great, but not too bad for an hour's work.

I wish, though, I'd gotten the idea before Christmas. Then I could have had a pair: a just-in-Rubacava-and-feeling-good one and the just-out-to-sea-and-feeling-low one. Oh, well.
 Tall Guy
01-07-2002, 7:15 AM
nice one monk...Hey...seeing as you wrote the book to go with GF...why dont you have a go at a sequal?...please?
 MeddlingMonk
01-07-2002, 9:49 AM
No. No sequel. Manny's story is done.

The Land of the Dead is big enough for other stories and I thought of a promising one, but I have other ideas for now.
 Tall Guy
01-08-2002, 8:14 AM
damn you!!...*sobs* :(
 MeddlingMonk
01-08-2002, 6:47 PM
:violin:
 Tall Guy
01-09-2002, 9:33 AM
i still think you should keep these little short story things coming tho ;)
 MeddlingMonk
01-09-2002, 9:22 PM
Maybe Manny and Carla can have a date in February.
 Metallus
01-09-2002, 9:46 PM
Um, I haven't quite started your biggie novel yet 'Monk. I want to know what your take on Lola is. You should do a story on her, if you haven't already covered it in the nove (which I WILL read someday, I swear).
 MeddlingMonk
01-12-2002, 10:06 PM
There's a lot about Lola in the novel. In fact, she's the first person Manny meets after leaving El Marrow. I don't have a take so much as...well, since the game introduces Lola just to sprout her, my aim was to give her as big a part as possible so it'd be a real punch in the gut when she's finally sprouted.
 Metallus
01-22-2002, 2:25 AM
Hey, just moving this thread to the Blue Casket, as I've expanded it to allow Fan Fiction. Dunno whether or not you'd want to refer to it as that, 'monk, but whatever :).
Page: 1 of 1