Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What Games are you Currently Playing?

Page: 1 of 2
 Metallus
12-30-2001, 4:10 AM
Thought I'd bring back one of the most posted-at threads from the YaBB forums. Post what games you're currently playing and/or hopelessly addicted to.

For me:

Microsoft Pinball Arcade - I got this game at the same time as Grim Fandango, and I still come back to play it. Tt's really realistic in both the audio and the graphics. It's got 7 simulated pinball tables, one from each decade from the 30's to the 90's.
Urban Terror Mod For Quake 3: Arena - I love this mod! It's currently still in beta format, but it's the most fun I've had on Quake 3 for a long time. It's got some elements that are similar to Counter-Strike, but there are more game modes and a lot of original features to the game. An added bonus: Jake, the mixnmojo art director helped out on this game (check the credits)!

Anyway, post your lists and explain why you like them.
 Snootch
12-30-2001, 9:12 AM
Let's see...

Deluxe skijump: That game is a small finnish skijumping game (causes addiction).

Java Billiards: A small finnish game (again). Nice to play with friends over the internet. Causes addiction too.

I haven't been playing much lately. Most because i've been busy with school.

I had so many pinball games in cd but i can't find the cd's anymore. :( . Old swedish game "Pinball Fantasies", is great. It's really old but still my favorite pinball game. If someone can still find it from somewhere, i suggest to play it.
 Huz
12-30-2001, 9:40 AM
Rally Championship Xtreme - Vroom vroom!! Right four tightens into blind square left, don't cut, ditch! Crash bang explode! (It's a fun game, anyway. Nothing like driving a car round a forest like a maniac and losing control at every other corner!)

X - Beyond the Frontier - Like Elite and Frontier before it, don't start playing this if you'll some day hope to stop. You'll find it impossible.

And I wasted many an hour on Pinball Dreams for the Amiga. I had to stop because the Shift keys - used to control the paddles - were getting worn out. Those pinball games are far too addictive. :)
 MeddlingMonk
12-30-2001, 10:31 AM
Civilization III. I no longer have a life.

Just one more improvement...

Just one more turn...
 xGrimx
12-30-2001, 12:06 PM
I haven't been playing any computer games, but I have been playing my Xbox.

Halo would be the game I would be playing alot. Awesome game for the Xbox!

I am waiting for the Sam n' Max to come out to, I'll be all over that.
 Tall Guy
12-30-2001, 4:00 PM
currently playing...

Project IGI
Red Faction (bit crap)
with myself (sorry! ;))
 Maddocks
01-01-2002, 9:55 AM
still Broken Sword 1......... and Tomb Raider 2 for some reason. Also Champ Manager 2000/01.....
 Thrik
01-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Half-Life
Not so much as Half-Life itself, but it's wealth of mods. More importantly, Day of Defeat!
I just love the wartime fighting this game introduces, and the realism really does make it feel like something way out of other game's leagues.... even newer games such as Red Faction can't outweigh this game/mod :D

Tribes 2
I play this almost daily, and I quite frankly love it's pace. Instead of being a "first shot is the winner" kind of premise, the weapons fire discs and such which take a small amount of time to reach the victim, forcing you to predict where the player will move next, and relying on splash damage for victory :)
Also the playing enviroments are literally endless which makes me drool everytime I play the game :D
 Thrik
01-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Grand Theft Auto 3
This game is just amazing. The fact you can navigate a whole city is excellent by itself, but then you can access whole new areas like suburbs, which is breathtaking.
Add to this a huge level of detail, ability to run ANYONE down, ability to steal ANY car, and ability to make every triad in the game carve blood into your name.

:D
 sheaday6
01-01-2002, 9:20 PM
NO ONE LIVES FOREVER, RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN, TONY HAWK PRO SKATER 1,2, and 3, STARTOPIA, DELTA FORCE 2, CRIMSON SKIES, AND THE SIMS. and i'm lovin' every minute of it
 Metallus
01-01-2002, 9:29 PM
Woah, I totally forgot about TH:PS games. Lots of fun.
 Schmatz
01-02-2002, 12:01 AM
GO THRIK! DoD AND GTA3... man they rock!

I STILL play Diablo 2, and, on occasions, Team Fortress Classic or Day of Defeat.

Been playing a bit of Galactic Batlegrounds, working on the OOM-9 campaign... it's pretty cool.

Also got Gamecube, so I've been playing Rogue Leader, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (beat one and two OH YEAH!) and Super Smash Brothers Melee. I gotta play SSB:Melee EVEN MORE because my stupid brother overwrited my saved game, and I lost all my stuff :mad:

Oh yeah, and Tetrifast! So excellent!
 Tall Guy
01-03-2002, 9:43 PM
like thrik, im into the half life mods too. There are loads at the moment...i just played 'case closed' ... thats a good one! Roll on HL 2
 Schmatz
01-03-2002, 10:08 PM
HL 2 bah... TFC2 now THERE'S what I want.
 MtBlanc
01-04-2002, 1:07 AM
I'm still playing the demo for Colin McRae Rally 2.0....after a year. The demo for God's sake!
 MeddlingMonk
01-04-2002, 9:54 AM
Case Closed? I know I played that but can't remember it.

Anyone try Poke646 (http://www.poke646.com/)?) It's a new one. Focuses more on puzzles than on shooting things. It looks very good, too. I was surprised to find in the library that the polished marble floors were reflective. Never saw reflective surfaces in HL before. And the marquee of the movie theater was funny: They Hunger 4!
 Tall Guy
01-04-2002, 2:41 PM
'case closed' is the one where you play a janitor caught up in the mess in the Black Mesa facility. I think planet HL or Planet Quake made it...neway..its a good one
 optimusponge
01-06-2002, 12:10 PM
grim fandango (got it at christmas)
counter-strike mod for halflife
starcraft (kind of on hold at the moment, due to grim fandango)

hmm, looks like that's it at the moment
 C Shutt
01-17-2002, 4:37 AM
Max Payne.
 Sanspoof3k
01-17-2002, 5:24 PM
Operation flashpoint till i completed the first campaign an got stck on the new one. So i got bored and replayed grim fandango:D
 Tall Guy
01-17-2002, 5:47 PM
good choice....i know i would! ;)
 Metallus
01-17-2002, 6:25 PM
I'm currently replyaing the Mysteries of the Sith missionpack for Jedi Knight. It's really well done, except the voice actors aren't the same as in the first game. My only beef with it is that unless you cheat you can't use saber-throw with Mara, since her force powers are pre-picked for that category.
 MtBlanc
01-18-2002, 3:24 AM
I'm still waiting for Colin McRae Rally 2.0 to come, so I'm still playing the demo. That and NBA Jam for the Sega Genesis. Boomshakalaka.
 Metallus
01-18-2002, 3:29 AM
NBA Jam is one of those games that is immortal. It stands with a select few games that will NEVER get old. Can anyone name any other titles that are in this category?

Other games that I can think of right now:
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (so simple, yet so effective)
Grim Fandango (so complex, you have to replay it)
 Tall Guy
01-18-2002, 3:31 AM
i have colin mcrae 2. GREAT GAME!!!...i love it, only problem is my Dad's into it aswell so as soon as i come back from college.... He's sat there flying through kenya or someplace :(
 Sanspoof3k
01-18-2002, 11:25 AM
I been spendin a lot of time on Gamespy arcade recently trying Medal of honour out. Its pretty gd but i still prefer operation flashpoint.
 MeddlingMonk
01-18-2002, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by Metallus
Can anyone name any other titles that are in this category?

Ultima VII...to the extent there's a new (unofficial) executable for it being made so it can be played on any current OS.
 Claire_X
01-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Still playing Gabriel Knight 3... I think its one of those things that I will never truly finish, and will continue to haunt me in adulthood, mocking me for my stupidity!
 Tall Guy
01-25-2002, 5:23 AM
I jusy got Black&White. Cool game, and the AI is amazingly advanced. I'm using the chimp (or some form of primate!!) btw, aint named it yet any suggestions?
 EvilleApplePie
01-26-2002, 12:49 AM
lil hint about black and white...they say the animals are all neutral but they're lying...the tiger is easiest to turn good, the chimp is neutral (easy to turn either way), and the cow is evil...so so evil...
 Metallus
01-26-2002, 1:35 AM
For all you Quake 3 fans out there...

You should all check out Bid For Power (http://www.bidforpower.com), the DragonballZ-styled total-conversion mod. I can't say that I'm a big fan of the show (in fact, sometimes it's just plain silly), but the mod is exceptional. I believe the mod team got into some trouble early on because they were using actual characters from the show, so now they are using original characters (I think...again, I'm not a big fan ;P).

The gameplay is a lot different from other mods for Q3, because there is a lot more tweakage of weapons, gravity, and other features to give a very original feel to the game. One of my favorite features is that it incorporates flight and melee combat, which, when combined, allows for many combinations of attacks.

Anyway, don't take my word for it, check it out yourself!
 Lemon Head
01-26-2002, 6:46 AM
Well there's hardly ever a moment when i'm not playing Counter-strike. But when i do manage to pull myself away, there's always, Clive Barker's:Undying, and once it goes on the shelves i'll be at Medal of Honor: Allied Assault like nobody's business!!
 MeddlingMonk
01-26-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Tall Guy
I jusy got Black&White. Cool game, and the AI is amazingly advanced. I'm using the chimp (or some form of primate!!) btw, aint named it yet any suggestions?

No suggestions but this reminds me of something funny. Many months ago one of the longest threads on the official B&W message boards was about creature stories. One guy, who wasn't very good with English, told a story about his ape doing something he didn't like and so spanked his monkey for a few minutes. Even funnier were the people who tried to diplomaticaly explain to the guy what he had just said.
 Tall Guy
01-26-2002, 1:05 PM
he's probably hiding away someplace now he realises what he said...will he ever return?!....who knows! The shear embarasment lol
 Lemon Head
01-27-2002, 6:04 PM
he probably has issues now - actually, what the hell am i talking about?? there were SO many "spanking the monkey" jokes made about B&W both in and out of the media, i'd have thought you'd be more embarrassed not to have said it
 Tall Guy
01-27-2002, 6:07 PM
true, true...now u mention it i 've heard a lot of B&W jokes too :p
 Metallus
01-27-2002, 6:08 PM
Man, Black and White...I haven't heard that game mentioned for awhile. In fact, not since this original thread appeard on the YaBB boards.
 Lemon Head
01-27-2002, 6:18 PM
It was a quick flash that never really lasted - Creature Isles might help that situation but i doubt it

B&W worlds looks interesting though, the whole idea of having an entire company oversee this one game is quite spectacular
 HelenW
01-28-2002, 7:17 AM
I'm not playing any PC games at the mo, but on PS2 I'm playing THPS3, SSX tricky and Jak and Daxter :D
 Tall Guy
01-28-2002, 7:19 AM
i dont have a ps2, but i played crazy taxi on a friends..it was cool ;)
 Baz
02-14-2002, 7:30 AM
Just got GF yes2day (13/2/2002) it was only Ј12!
Anyone know where i can buy the classic Full Throttle from? (UK)
 Kylilin
02-14-2002, 9:06 AM
PSX: Smackdown 2 and Madden 2002
PC: Planet of the Apes and Jedi Knight (again)
 Metallus
02-15-2002, 1:14 AM
I'm replaying Afterlife so I can write a review of it. I loved this game when I first got it :D. It's very well done, but it's got a high learning curve.
 Tall Guy
02-15-2002, 4:22 AM
*staggers in after a 6 day geography field trip*

Hey all i'm back ;)

i aint played afterlife but i heard of it...is it any good?...whats it about exactly?
 Metallus
02-15-2002, 12:46 PM
It's LucasArts' best and only sim game. A must-have.
 Tall Guy
02-15-2002, 2:34 PM
i bet i wont be able to get hold of it in the UK....sounds rare!!
 Metallus
02-15-2002, 2:36 PM
Unfortunately that's probably the case. LEC should really start doing international shipping from it's company store.
 Tall Guy
02-15-2002, 2:39 PM
well i imagine that LEC has a big market in the UK so i dont know why they dont ship here....sounds odd
 Metallus
02-15-2002, 2:50 PM
Yeah, I really don't know what the deal is. Adventures sell a lot better in Europe than in the Americas.
 Wraith 8
02-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Delta Force
I almost beat the single player games.

Star Wars, Galactic Batllegrounds
People wanted to play it online with me so i installed it again and am practicing.

Theme Hospital
Nice to play old games again.
Page: 1 of 2