Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Prequel

Page: 1 of 1
 Hel-ter
12-21-2001, 8:12 AM
how bout it?
 Fender
12-21-2001, 9:26 AM
Probably better idea then a sequel.
 Tall Guy
12-21-2001, 2:39 PM
yeah thats it!! that is what would work....yeah....*cogs start turning*...mmmm....
 Schmatz
12-21-2001, 9:27 PM
Taking my idea eh? From the other Rumor post...

I think he should do something like commiting something funny like... running a stop sign, or a red light... then seeing the cops following him and he gets freaked out and accidently drives off a cliff... and has to work off his dues... :D
 xGrimx
12-21-2001, 11:55 PM
A prequel would be great, but it wouldnn't be as fun. Maybe if youh aven't played GF, then it would be good. Wouldn't mind seeing Manny and people like that with real skin. But then no Glottis.. hmm..
 Hel-ter
12-22-2001, 3:58 AM
peeps who don't like the idea of a prequel shouldn't play it nor read thi post then

I think Manny would be some guy who isn't married but has a n occasional girlfriend and who once was involved in some illegal bussiness -a carrier for la casa nostra perhaps- and that illegal stuff is cchasing him his whole life. But how to make an end to it? (an end to the story AND to Manny that is)

but I don't think a prequel in The Land Of The Living, I wouldn't like seeing them alive. A storyline bout the time when Manny was still at the top.
 Schmatz
12-22-2001, 10:18 AM
YEAH! And then they could make a GF prequel series of where everyone came from and how everyone died! That would be so cool.
 Jem
12-25-2001, 11:34 AM
This prequel idea sounds very interesting and amusing. I hope all of this gets serious, it would be great.
 elTee
12-26-2001, 2:49 PM
Damn! How long has this lot been up again? I lost my bloody ID too.
I dunno about all of you, but I remember talking about this up-and-coming LucasArts sequel about 3-4 months ago on the old mixnmojo. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the topic went thus:
-LEC announce that amongst thier new adventure games was a sequel
-Could be:
a) maniac / dott - would be well recieved, and is possible
b) zak - is possible but would be poorly recieved dur to its relative obscurity
c) loom - definately possible (chaos says at the end he will return) but would be poorly recieved as well
d) indy - possible, would be wll recieved
e) monkey island - more than likely, well recieved as well
f) sam n max - aint gonna happen :(
g) full throttle - unlikely, but possible
h) the dig - what could happen in it? this won't be made
i) grim fandango - possible, would be very well recieved

Now, I can go further in depth on this if you want, but as this is the grim forum:
Grim Fandango sequel would have a hell of an act to follow - will be hard without Tim. The story would be hard to actually create - I mean, he's in the ninth underworld. If it were a prequel - well, that would work. However - it would loose the look of the cities, and manny would have to be a bad guy. One of the cool things about him is we don't know what it is he did in life that made him have to work for the DOD, because it gives him an air of sadness and mystery.
OK??
 Metallus
12-26-2001, 4:20 PM
f) sam n max - aint gonna happen

Well, actually it IS going to happen. Just not by LEC's hand. However, since Steve Purcell is working on it "directly" with Infinite Machine (the company that's making it), it should be good regardless of LEC's involvement. Actually I'm relieved in a way that LEC isn't working on it, because currently, I'm seriously doubting whether a sequel made by them now would hold up to their previous masterpieces.
 xGrimx
12-29-2001, 1:38 AM
Only on Xbox if I am not mistaking? Thank God I have an Xbox. :D
 Sanspoof3k
01-17-2002, 1:19 PM
Everybody is sooooo negative around here. You guys all seem to think that because Manny has gone to the ninth underworld hes never going to return. There are tons of things that could happen that force him to return to the eighth underworld.

For example, if one of the old villians returned or a new villain began to wreak havoc in the eighth underworld causing so much chaos that it began to seep into the ninth, Manny may feel it his duty to escape the ninth underworld and put a stop to it all. This is just one of many possible events that could spark off a new adventure.
 Metallus
01-17-2002, 3:14 PM
If Manny was in GF2, that'd be my theory about it. The character of Gate is very important, because he's so inflexible. If something were to happen that would force him to reverse the gate to the ninth underworld, you could make a whole story about it.
 chrisguiblin
01-17-2002, 4:07 PM
Hi, yeah I'm new here. Here are some ideas I have...

Sequel
The train goes wrong/someone makes it go wrong so Manny and Meche are stuck in between the two worlds and they could play around with that idea.

Another idea would be to have someone else working for the Department of Death and we could see how things are going now...there could be new bad guys and stuff and I think it would be great to explore more of the city and go around everywhere - there were a lot of limitations with GF.

It would also be good to find out more about Manny..maybe if Manny had killed someone in life that person could be going through the four year journey to track him down - but we'd all be on Manny's side so that wouldn't really work.

Prequel
OK i don't know about these worlds or wotever but its the 8th hes in right, so what about the earlier ones...or am i getting the wrong idea.

They could do so much in the land of the dead - it doesnt have to be anything to do with manny or anything - what ever they do i think would be great!

Just some ideas!
 Sanspoof3k
01-17-2002, 4:18 PM
I have a theory that GF will be like the first 2 MI games. It took them YEARS but eventually they made a sequel. Eventually LA will need a new game and a GF sequel will be a likely choice. I read on another post that the guys down there are keen to make another. Its just a matter of time if you ask me.

YOU CANNOT HIDE FROM THE ENEVITABLE!!!!!
 chrisguiblin
01-17-2002, 5:04 PM
just imagine what the game would look like if they left it a few more years!!!
 Tall Guy
01-22-2002, 6:38 AM
yeah, but we cant wait that long!!
 hncalavera
02-03-2002, 2:48 AM
Could they get Tim Schaefer involved? What has he been doing since he left LucasArts? I heard that many of the poeple involved in GF have now left LucasArts, like Peter McConnell, for example. I'm sure their successors could do a decent job, but could they recapture the original GF magic? There's an awfully high standard that's been set.
 Metallus
02-04-2002, 3:08 AM
Then again, LEC is outsourcing a lot of its games these days :). Schafer's company, Double Fine Productions, employs a large number of people who worked on Grim Fandango. I'm not saying that's very likely to happen, but who knows?
 Lemon Head
02-04-2002, 5:30 AM
I think a prequel (or indeed a sequel) for GF would be a good idea, and as Met says, all it would take is a bit of imaginations and deliberation to figure out how to continue the story.

However, i'm a bit worried that i'm the only person who thinks either prequel or sequel should be about someone other than manny. And should provide i wider look at the land of the dead as someone different, maybe around the time of the establishment of the DOD when things were chaotic and unordered.
 Tall Guy
02-15-2002, 5:12 AM
OK, here i go again.

LEC have created an entire world to play around with. How can anybody possibly say that a GF sequal is impossible??? there are tonnes of story ideas, i'm not saying use manny again, cos although i liked the character i agree that a change should be made to the main character. The story of Manny is complete and i agree with the people who are saying that but this dont mean that GF can never return. It would probably be under a new name, and the characters would be different but the atmosphere would be the same and world tht LEC created would still be there. Personnaly, i think that GF2 will happen. In fact i'm 110% sure it will. We may have to wait even longer then we have done now but it will return and it will impress!

wow...i should be a motivational guru! ;)

but seriously, dont lose hope :D
 Tellus12
02-15-2002, 12:39 PM
I can see the Grim Fandango 2 scenario prequel being a lot easier to make than a sequel, manny left:< in the 1st one but the story rounded off nicely and would kinda be an over kill like many many sequels of many many games and films, the fact that there would be a new lead character would change the name of it, would the guy/gal be part spanish again? or would he be latin or summit, would it have to be called 'grim la bida loca'??, all that aside i do love the idea, it would get us playin 24/7 on the PC's again and get us postin here every time we got stuck, just like the old days eh guys:p
 Tall Guy
02-15-2002, 2:59 PM
....im sorry, i think i got something in my eye....*sniff*....:(....ahhh they where the days my friends....*sniff*
 Gexx
02-15-2002, 10:11 PM
if they make a prequal they shouldnt make it in the LOL
 1.21 Jigawatts?
02-22-2002, 11:45 AM
A prequel would definately fit better than a sequel.
There is no-where to go from the end of GF-1 really,
and if they did, it would ruin the mystery of the end.

So a prequel could work very well with a good script/storyline.
 Hel-ter
02-22-2002, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by Tall Guy
OK, here i go again.

LEC have created an entire world to play around with. How can anybody possibly say that a GF sequal is impossible???

Frankly, yer right

there's no end to the possibilities!, as Chip Douglas would say
 Fender
02-22-2002, 2:49 PM
Whatever happens with Grim, then we will complain about it. Were building it up way to much... Maybe we should just live and let die, and forget about another Grim game. That's not what I want to do, but maybe it's for the best.

Remember, it's better to climb slowly, so you won't hjave to drop so much when you fall, then to climb to quickly and fall way to far.
 Tall Guy
02-28-2002, 4:08 PM
who sez we have to fall neway? GF2 will rule!
 Tellus12
03-03-2002, 10:19 AM
that was indeed an adorable speech fender that needed to be said but at the end of the day people , ...it's a computer game, and we want it...and thats all that matters, we can't let the myth of a sequel die, it's what makes up about 50% of this forum.
 Tall Guy
03-04-2002, 4:57 PM
i agree, just the faint hope of GF2 keeps me alive!
Page: 1 of 1