Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grim Fandango novel

Page: 2 of 2
 FLaNk2
12-27-2001, 2:49 AM
:manny: hola.
^ did i do that right?
anyways, you should do a book about me.
pages = 1
letters in book= 0
words = 0
title = "how cool norman is"
bahahahahaha.... *cough*
oh well, cyas
(i prefer yabb :()
 FLaNk2
12-27-2001, 2:54 AM
im norman btw i left that out :P but you could probably pick up on that... anyways, the chickens in the oven, gotta go
 MeddlingMonk
12-27-2001, 4:06 AM
Originally posted by Helios
The novel kicked some ass.

Very bony ass.

Now, if that novel page would just get re-updated there'd be a pair of asses to kick. :p

Poor Mojo. Three months down and it'll probably take at least that long for every hosted site to get back in form.
 Metallus
12-28-2001, 4:34 AM
Well, Glottis's Garage appears to be in nearly perfect working order, the Grim Fandango Network main site is 95% good to go (still toiling with the hosted site update thingie), and GFC is about 80% back. The news script is still messed up, and won't be fixed until Zaarin gets back so he can access it's admin section and make the necessary fixes.
 MeddlingMonk
12-28-2001, 6:37 AM
World of Monkey Island is back now. The Scumm Bar is still in Mini form. LucasFans is 404. Others are back, others Mini, others MIA. I wonder how many sites will stay gone? Will Plunder3D ever see the light of day? What is that thing crawling up my leg?
 Huz
02-11-2002, 5:13 PM
Here is a tip to anyone wanting to print this out and save the environment at the same time: don't bother. You will try to print on both sides of the paper. Your printer will print the first side and then eat the paper when you feed it through again. Your printer hates you. You have been warned.

And that is my excuse for never reading this thing, despite the fact I downloaded it when it was first unleashed. Honest! :)
 MeddlingMonk
02-11-2002, 8:40 PM
That's what digital photocopiers are for.

Actually, that's what monitors are for, too.
 Metallus
02-11-2002, 8:49 PM
Nahhhh, that's what publishers are for.
 venom378
02-11-2002, 10:41 PM
Monk, I love the work you did with the game making it into a novel. It freakin rules.

I printed out the novel a few months back a read it on a road trip. :D I didnt even bother trying to do it on both sides lol
 Metallus
02-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Somewhere there is one less tree ;P.
 venom378
02-12-2002, 7:03 PM
Yea, I'm sure I used at least two trees...:p
 MeddlingMonk
02-13-2002, 10:23 AM
That's why I locked the PDF version so it couldn't be printed. It's easy on the eyes on screen, but it's almost 400 pages long.

Have you read The Sprouting of Don Copal, venom? Probably not. It sort of got lost during the long server switch.

Which reminds me. The thing needs better exposer than it's getting. There's Helios' site, but the novel page hasn't been updated to include the short story (and it's his site so I can't pester him) and he doesn't seem to be active any more. My briefcase (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/meddlingmonk/lst?.dir=/Grim+Fandango+Novel&.view=l) isn't exactly high profile. Maybe someone with an active site would be willing to mirror.

There will be a new 'installment' tomorrow, a Valentine's Day-themed piece.
 Metallus
02-15-2002, 1:11 AM
I'll be glad to host/mirror it once GFN4 is up. I'm going to launch wednesday of next week, done or not. The design is complete, but I'm still sorting out the techincal stuff. A lot of that can be worked on without readers noticing though.
 Tall Guy
02-15-2002, 4:57 AM
no sneak previews?...oh go on!
 MeddlingMonk
02-16-2002, 9:01 AM
Originally posted by Metallus
I'll be glad to host/mirror it once GFN4 is up.

:cool:

Let me know what you'd need/want from me (apart from the files which you can just nick from the briefcase).
 Metallus
02-16-2002, 10:56 AM
I just need your eternal soul wrapped in a manilla folder. :voodoo:

Seriously, I don't think there's much else I need besides the files, but I'll let you know when the time comes.
 Tall Guy
02-16-2002, 11:39 AM
so whens GFN4 ready?....nearly finished?
 NiKo
02-23-2002, 10:03 AM
the GF novel ruled.

now all i need is for the MI novel to be finnished....Grrrr

it hasnt been updated for nealry 2 years now
 Fender
02-25-2002, 7:57 AM
I once started wrting a Broken Sword Novel.... I sdhould probably go back to that. I haven't done anything on it for nearly 5 months.
 Tall Guy
03-04-2002, 4:58 PM
cool, how far did u get?
 MeddlingMonk
03-04-2002, 10:40 PM
I wonder if, some distant day, any professional novelists will emerge from the fan-fiction thing. It's possible; look at Star Trek. On the other hand, unlike the ST fan fiction of the '70s, computer game FF writers seem to be more or less isolated from each other. Computer games as such aren't much of a unifier, and there doesn't seem to any equivalents to the fanzine.
 Ryback
03-07-2002, 11:36 PM
This is an interesting thread, so I'll delurk.

You're right, there isn't anything resembling a network of computer game fanfic writers. The best resource I know of is this website (http://www.socalbrand.com/quest), and it's basically dead at the moment. There just aren't enough active writers: Monkey Island fanfiction has maybe five, estimating very generously.

Also, Niko: there is another (http://lucasfic.cjb.net/novels.htm) :D
Page: 2 of 2