Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Starting things off...

Page: 1 of 1
 Metallus
12-19-2001, 3:17 AM
Time to do this right. Vote here, and post your opinions below.
 MtBlanc
12-19-2001, 3:58 AM
You never saw the Mona Lisa get a sequel. But Syncronicity did. Now what does that tell you?
 Metallus
12-19-2001, 4:05 AM
Although I'd want a sequel just because it's GF, I fear that a sequel made without the original creators behind it would result in massive upheaval from the fan community. I'd like to have a movie though. (LucasFilms, if you're listening...)
 Tall Guy
12-19-2001, 9:42 AM
i REALLY want a sequal, and althoughi remain hopeful of one i dont think Lucas Arts should use the original characters. The originality of the first is what made it great and to suceed again LucasArts need to develop a brand new story and set of characters.

I think there was a fan sequal planned but LucasArts stopped it much like they did to another fan sequal to MonkeyIsland b4 there release of the 4th one.
 Metallus
12-19-2001, 12:05 PM
Ah yes, you're referring to the Indigo Island project. That was a sad ending to a promising project.
 Hel-ter
12-19-2001, 12:37 PM
A sequel would not only be another very good game it would also be new stuff for us to be busy with

i voted for not in eigth underworld because I feel everything there is kinda finished: I mean, another trip to Rubacava could be fun but I'm afraid for the dйja-vu feeling it might evoke

and if it's not a good game I won't buy it. end of story
 Hel-ter
12-19-2001, 12:46 PM
It would be kinda hard making an interesting game just about Manny Meche Glottis and all of the other GF1 characters: it would resemble the first one. Therefore new characters will have to be introduced.
(Also: the characters with a wide possibility of using in an interesting plotline -Dom Sal and Hec- are ...well they're dead, ofcorz they are, but i mean they are no longer usable in the game... sprouted or shredded or whatever...)

I think it would be very difficult to make a game with a main-character different from Calavera that would have the same feeling as GF1. I think I wouldn't identify myself with him/her the way I did with Manny. Therefore the best thing to do would be to control
-either Manny himself again
-or somebody who is linked with Manny: perhaps his son or daughter (although I don't think they will use a female main-character) or a good friend of his (not Glottis though) so that in a way Manny is still involved in the plotline
 Metallus
12-19-2001, 12:49 PM
I'm very curious to know what people look like in the ninth underworld, but I voted for a movie, because we'd get to see the first story told in a whole new medium, reimagined and with new aspects and plot twists.
 MeddlingMonk
12-19-2001, 1:47 PM
I don't know. Trying to show 'heaven' sounds like trouble to me.
 Hel-ter
12-19-2001, 2:26 PM
well, you should read the book 'The Discovery Of Heaven' by Harry Mulisch and then you should see the film of the book. You'll get an alternative on heaven that way
 Tall Guy
12-19-2001, 2:27 PM
A lot of people are saying that a sequal would be a bad idea, but think about it...this is LucasArts...they'll always find a way to make a sequal a hit. They're the best in the business at this kind of thing, so i think if they DID do a sequal, they would find a way to make it work
 Metallus
12-19-2001, 2:33 PM
No, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. A lot of people had problems with the last Monkey Island game that came out, and besides, a lot of the people who made GF aren't even working at LucasArts anymore, so it would be hard for them to emulate the style of the first game.
 Fender
12-19-2001, 2:43 PM
If they made a Grim Fandango 2, I don't think I would buy it unless it was a truly spectacular game. Grim is a great game in which it manages to tie up every loose thread at the end. That's why I voted for the "NO! Keep it as a one gamer thingy" Vote.
 Hel-ter
12-19-2001, 2:49 PM
Originally posted by Tall Guy
A lot of people are saying that a sequal would be a bad idea, but think about it...this is LucasArts...they'll always find a way to make a sequal a hit. They're the best in the business at this kind of thing, so i think if they DID do a sequal, they would find a way to make it work

then why don't they do a GF2?

LISTEN: YOU CAN BE PRO OR CONTRA A GF2. THE ONLY WAY WE'LL KNOW IF IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE A SEQUEL WOULD BE WHEN WE PLAY THE SEQUEL. IF THEY RELEASE A SEQUEL AND YOU DON'T LIKE THEN PRETEND THEY DIDN'T RELEASE AND DROP THE WHOLE THING

if you didn't notice before, I like capitals, it doesn't mean I'm pissed when I'm using them
 Metallus
12-19-2001, 2:53 PM
It sure SEEMS like everything was wrapped up at the end. I'd still like to think that the ending was sort of ambiguous, because you never actually saw LeMans' body, and that in the cutscene before, he'd survived falling off a building. I'm inclined to think that he doesn't go down as easy as we're led to believe. I'm sure that mausoleum of a greenhouse probably had an escape route that he could have fled through, and been able to prevent himself from being sprouted.

I'm probably reading into it too far, but I'd still say that there are loose ends. I mean, when the game ends, they are going into a whole new world to explore. Perhaps something will force the gates to be reversed and our heroes will have to face LeMans again.
 Hel-ter
12-19-2001, 2:56 PM
the new world is ok but not Hector

what a weak doctorsnovellish plot would that be! It reminds me of a spystory I had to write for my teacher Dutch... people dying but not really so I could use them again in a futur story
 xGrimx
12-19-2001, 6:07 PM
Well maybe not a Grim Fandango 2, but why not another game with the Land of the Dead in it? I love the world in GF. Could be a different game with similer concepts.
 Hel-ter
12-20-2001, 4:43 AM
I'm still waiting for somebody to v,ote for crappy game
 Fender
12-20-2001, 4:51 AM
not bloody likely mate.
 Hel-ter
12-20-2001, 4:58 AM
when you least expect it expect the unexpected
 Metallus
12-20-2001, 5:08 AM
I actually know a couple people who don't like the game. This is either because they're anti-3d adventure in general, or that they didn't like how you didn't use the mouse in the game. I think there was only one person I could think of who didn't like the game because of plot or because they found the game boring.
 Hel-ter
12-20-2001, 5:09 AM
over smaak valt niet te twisten
 Hel-ter
12-20-2001, 5:19 AM
I heared people saying

a. no violence in Gf
b. no sex either
 Fender
12-20-2001, 5:20 AM
Originally posted by Metallus
I actually know a couple people who don't like the game. This is either because they're anti-3d adventure in general, or that they didn't like how you didn't use the mouse in the game. I think there was only one person I could think of who didn't like the game because of plot or because they found the game boring.

It was thanks to Grim Fandango and Broken Sword 1 that I managed to get my mate on adventure games.
 Wraith 8
12-20-2001, 5:32 AM
Originally posted by Hel-ter
over smaak valt niet te twisten

euh.. ik denk niet dat ze nederlands verstaan. :D :D

Welll i loved the game... i played it like 18 times or so... great game. i think there should be a sequel. like: the escape from the land of the dead or something like that :D :D J/K

But i think there should be a sequel :)
 Fender
12-20-2001, 5:36 AM
IF they aren't gonna make a sequel, why are they closing down all these fangames and stuff.
 Hel-ter
12-20-2001, 5:48 AM
coz they're LucasArts and they're the highlight of kapitalizm protected by copyrights and and righst reserved

was that too rude to Mr Lucas?
 Hel-ter
12-20-2001, 5:48 AM
kweetet maar ik wist niet hoe het te zeggen in Engels
 Fender
12-20-2001, 5:54 AM
I think it probably was too rude
 Tall Guy
12-20-2001, 2:24 PM
Mr Lucas is gonna sue your a$$ for just mentioning his name...oh.....damn :(
 Metallus
12-20-2001, 3:32 PM
Mr Lucas? I doubt that George is behind this.
 scabb
12-20-2001, 3:40 PM
A sequel would suck

a) The storyline would be PANTS. Just like Monkey Island 3 & 4
b) How the hell would they do it? Hes in happy-land now!
c) Youll all be lovin' the new adventure games that LEC (should and must) bring out
 Schmatz
12-20-2001, 6:58 PM
Maybe a PREQUEL! Yeah, the life of Manny when he was alive and how he dies... it would have to be in an Aztec kinda place... like the settings in GF1!
 FLaNk2
12-21-2001, 2:00 AM
Its a giant government consiracy.
No movie, movies ruin everything.. i.e. teenage mutant ninja turtles :D, captain america, tomb raider, and sadly soon to be spider man.:mad:

No prequel :S we all know why for that,

Sequel would be good, but i doubt lucas arts would do anything now... too sucked into star wars, which is getting (or was always) boring, so many games, same characters yadda yadda yadda. But they still might do it, cause blizzard took 5 years or something to make a sequel to warcraft...

So it can still happen i guess,but they(lucas arts) kinda got themselves into a corner there... with the end of manny, cause they always keep their characters if they do a sequel, but now that manny is gone, and meche and all the cast basically of grim fandango 1, if they make a sequel glottis will be in it again, with a new main character, and copied off the the classic masterpieces of film noir. peace out
 Pauly Shaw
12-21-2001, 4:21 AM
I hate to say it, but I don't think we should ever see a Grim Fandango sequel. I just don't think it would work.

Hopefuly I am wrong and they might come up with some good story with no plotholes, but i don't know if it can be done.

All we can hope for now is new game with new charactors.
 Hel-ter
12-21-2001, 4:46 AM
you almost gave me a heart attack
 Fender
12-21-2001, 5:08 AM
well, somehow I think he might be right.
 Hel-ter
12-21-2001, 5:09 AM
well **** you 2 then
 Hel-ter
12-21-2001, 5:09 AM
people are not allowed by me to have a personal opinion!
 Fender
12-21-2001, 5:12 AM
sorry, I'll wait till your done posting then.
 scabb
12-21-2001, 3:07 PM
Sequel = Stupid

LETS JUST NOT WANT ONE
LETS ACT SANE AND NOT 6 YEARS OLD
LETS JUST SAY THAT SEQUELS ARE SH*T
LETS JUST WANT AN ORIGINAL GAME
LETS JUST!
 Gergely
01-06-2002, 3:44 PM
A sequel would be good, but I'm sure it wouldnt gve the same feeling as Gf1 did, because there would be different creators, and the storyline would be possibly boring, (and to be honest, the storyline of Gf1 wasnt too good either, just the rest of it was made so good that it didnt affect the game...
A movie would be really good, but a bit hard to do.
I have an idea about Gf2:
Manny and the rest get to the 9th underworld, but it reveals to be an anti-heaven, ruled by the gate keepers, who steal something from the souls, or make 'em work as slaves or anything.
I see, I'm not a good story writer.
What do you think of it?
 chrisguiblin
01-17-2002, 5:19 PM
Lucas Arts have in the past proven that they can make decent sequal (this is of coarse debatable). Grim Fandango is a very unique game, the characters are humerous and all very well done and the locations are supurb.

Lucas Arts would have no trouble making a sequel. The best thing they can do now is either make a new totally different unique game or try very hard on a sequel.

Lucas Arts have made up a very large world in their game which has not yet fully been explored. A sequel would be great where you have much more freedom, finding out more about the land of the dead. With all great fictional stories there is always much more you can do with the locations with different characters.

An idea would be to play as one of Salvador's followers (I forget what they are called) and follow on that idea.

Just my thoughts.
 Tall Guy
01-18-2002, 3:34 AM
it dont have to be a sequal, just a game set in the land of the dead....there's an entire world to play around with. surly they can come up with something :(
 S. Limones
02-08-2002, 2:11 PM
I think GF movie would be an awesome idea,the game makes u feel that u r manny when u play it,imagine it on a big screen!

BUT gf2 PC.....i think sometimes its better to end on the 1st one, Im not saying that I wouldnt like if they do....I would love it,but they totally ended the story on gf1, and gf is one of those rares games that makes u feel that u r in the game,when I play it,I always feel that Im manny, and that im at the land of dead.If they do a sequel it may ruin it...I can give an example of a ruin sequel....Escape From Monkey Island....1st :3D in a original 2D extremelly loved game...bad idea, terrible jokes and most of all...Is that Guybrush Threepwood?What happenned to his BIG NOSE?
So...what im trying to say is,GF movie great idea, a game that takes place at the land of dead similar to GF another great idea, but GF2...i dont know, it may depress some fans if they dont do it well.

VIVA LA REVOLUCIУN!!!!!!!!
Page: 1 of 1