Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gots me $40 burning a hole in my pocket...

Page: 1 of 1
 raVen_image
12-15-2001, 8:26 PM
...(no, it's not for you)...but I'm looking to purchase a game for the up-coming Xmas Break. I have a month off from classes and a week off from work.

I was thinking of purchasing either Faust: Seven Games of the Soul, or Riddle of the Sphynx . I am interseted in Adventure Games, only. Can anyone give me a review of these games?

Should I spend my precious cash on something else? Any recommendations with some cogent arguments as to "why I should buy that game" would be appreciated.
 Gabez
12-16-2001, 10:17 AM
You should buy the Simon The Sorcerer Double Pack, coz i's da best!
 The Adventurer
12-16-2001, 10:29 AM
No get Ward. The voice Acting and animation sucks but the puzzles are ok,
 Sopabuena
12-16-2001, 11:51 AM
No no no, get Faust! I loved it.
If you like First Person adventures where there is no people to interact with, you will like Faust. The puzzles are really fun and the graphics and the music are great. Kinda short.

Here is a review:

http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/nov99/faust.html)
 Gabez
12-16-2001, 12:03 PM
No way. Simon The Sorcerer is far better than this Faust thingy!
 Squinkee
12-16-2001, 1:36 PM
No no, get the Harry Potter game. You'll love the outdated graphics and trite gameplay.
 raVen_image
12-17-2001, 10:21 AM
Thank you Gabez ... I'll look into Simon the Sorcerer.

Thank you The Adventurer ...for the quick review on Ward, I'll check it out.

Thank you Sopabuena for the review of Faust, and for a link to another review. (Now, that's a cogent argument).

and Thank you Squinkee for your recommendation of Harry Potter for its retro-charm.

I have some reviews to read before I decide, but you've all given me great suggestions :)
 Jake
12-17-2001, 1:39 PM
Get The Wonky Adventure or Quake III Arena. Both classic adventures. Pure Gold some would say.

Or some good game I havent heard of.
 pigsfl3w
12-17-2001, 2:57 PM
The greatest non-lucas surrealist adventure game is Sanitarium. Get it. It is glorious in it's intensity. Believe me, it will not let you down (though it is a little short). The voice acting, story, and graphics are superb, even though the graphics are a little dated. Its such a good game! If you already have it just disregard this post.
 The Adventurer
12-17-2001, 3:35 PM
:eek: AHHHHHHHHHH I just bought the Ward my self!!! Stay away from this piece of trash!!!! I only payed 10 dollors for it an I feel greatly over charged!!!! Get The Longest Journey instead that is a buitiful Adventure that everyone should own!
 1.21 Jigawatts?
12-17-2001, 4:00 PM
Its kinda hard to recommend,
not knowing what games you already have.
(I assume you have all the lucasarts adventures.)

Personally,
I've never liked 1st person adventure much,
apart from the Last Express, which is awesome.

Well, here are my top recommendations anywhoo:

Broken sword/circle of blood
Last Express

Nothing new you see,
haven't bought a great andventure game for a while.
 Schmatz
12-17-2001, 5:21 PM
Try the Journeyman Project series or at least the second or third. I highly recommend and enjoy them a lot!
 Navhead
12-21-2001, 12:10 PM
The Longest Journey or Simon the Sorcerer.

Though if it's anything like here, it'll be impossible to find the latter in any shops.
 dark spirit
12-21-2001, 3:14 PM
I suggest you keep the money and download some abandonware you haven't played yet! that's how I'm saving money to get an xbox when they come out over here!
 JiveMonkey
12-21-2001, 3:28 PM
Is the Faust game related to the 7th Guest horror/adventure game that game out a while ago, I remember that starring a man named Faust. Quite a terrifying game if I might say - and enjoyable too. Probably my first real adventure, it came with my Packard Bell PC back in the mid-90's. I remember the game being immensly popular because it was one of the first games to come out on CD-Rom that really utilized the technology.
 dark spirit
12-21-2001, 3:35 PM
can anyone point me in the direction of some good point and click adventures that are now legal abandonware?
 raVen_image
12-21-2001, 3:51 PM
Originally posted by dark spirit
...legal abandonware?
I think this is a contradiction in terms ...or an oxymoron. I prefer to support the gaming industry myself, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you all for your help.
 Haggis
12-21-2001, 4:02 PM
Originally posted by dark spirit
can anyone point me in the direction of some good point and click adventures that are now legal abandonware?

Try Pacman! Oh wait... that's not point and click...
 Trapezoid
12-21-2001, 5:22 PM
Well, I think Teen Agent is freeware now. I don't think "Abandonware" is an official status for a game. If the publishers want they can make it freeware, which is what Teen Agent did.
 Sopabuena
12-21-2001, 6:22 PM
No, Faust is not related to Sierra's The 7th Guest. The character is called Faust too, but its probably a coincidence.
 BooJaka14m
12-22-2001, 1:04 PM
Get The Space Quest Collection (1 --> 6). They're really great games if you haven't got them already.
 dark spirit
12-22-2001, 2:03 PM
Originally posted by Haggis

Try Pacman! Oh wait... that's not point and click...
I tried using pac-man as point and click but he just stood there and swore at me!
Page: 1 of 1