Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

It doesnt work!

Page: 1 of 1
 FaNaTiC
12-10-2001, 8:24 PM
My copy of Sam and Max doesnt work anymore. It used to work on a 486 i think.....but now it doesnt even work on that! i cant get any sound at all. i tried loading it on my newer comp...but again ... the sound doesnt work.. Any patches anyone knows of?
 Metallus
12-10-2001, 8:44 PM
Hey sorry to sound like a jerk, but this section doesn't cover technical issues. Read the category description more closely :p. Snuckey's will be coming out with a guide to getting the sound to work, so the most I can say now is be patient.
 FaNaTiC
12-10-2001, 8:47 PM
sorry
 Metallus
12-10-2001, 8:56 PM
It's no biggie; we just can't deal with that problem because every windows user has that problem at one time or another. We're trying to save ourselves some sanity, rather than trying to answer it every time someone asks it.
 The Dogfuchow
12-10-2001, 10:08 PM
HAHAHA!! I knew someone would do it!
 Jake
12-11-2001, 1:51 PM
Yeah hehe we were all secretly betting against ourselves over how long it would take for the "My sound is broken" thread to appear here :)

Snuckey's is working on a "tutorial"/troubleshooting guide to getting your sound working. Hopefully it will be up soon.
 The Dogfuchow
12-11-2001, 5:19 PM
it's one of those obvious problems that so many people have.. heh
 SyntheticGerbil
12-11-2001, 5:25 PM
Wow... you guys are a bunch of *******s...

Shut down the IMUSE set up from Windows into true DOS mode... then set it up correctly from there... Sam and Max should then work in Windows... unless you have sporatic mouse problems like me... if you have an Windows OS after 98, you are screwed.
 Metallus
12-12-2001, 4:21 AM
No, I think I'd rather weep openly some more, since I have WinME and my music won't work. My sound's fine though.
 Jake
12-12-2001, 4:54 AM
Heh. I'm not an *******, I just don't know how to fix the sound :)

And can you really get "true" DOS mode without a dual install of Win98 and DOS 6.2? I've never got the sound to work on my PC even booting into as close as "true" dos mode as I can get.

Maybe if you successfully have the SET BLASTER=blah blah in your DOS mode config.sys it will work out for you. Perhaps Windows will set that up for you and I'm a fool?
 Schmatz
12-12-2001, 3:41 PM
Gerbil you gotta cool it pal. All you do is insult us or call us *******s. Why don't you just shut up and listen. It will be on Snuckey's. I am patient. My sound doesn't work. But I don't care right now. I'm probably gonna get a new CD version, because, well, don't ask. I just have no sound, and I need to get it soon. So, if they ask you to be patient, be patient and don't call anyone an *******, or you'd be a hypocrit if you get my drift
 The Dogfuchow
12-12-2001, 3:50 PM
hmmm, if that tutorial will help me with making Sam and Max work on my WinME, I'll be damn happy.
 SyntheticGerbil
12-12-2001, 4:41 PM
Er... sarcasm and such and so on...

Schmatz, that was directed at the ones who told this technically frustrated game player that his post didn't belong here and ignoring his question. I wasn't completely serious anyway... I'm not going to find Jake and Fuchow's address and write them a really nasty letter about their mothers. Besides, you weren't even in this thread until now.

And... I think that setblaster thing might not be required if you shut down to DOS. Just be sure to enter in the CD drivers and memory drivers in the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. If the program still crashes, take a walk and pet a kitten.
 Jake
12-12-2001, 6:12 PM
I wish LEC would just put out a patch. I'm sure they've had at least one summer intern in the last few years who has an interest in programming and the old games enough to make a quick update to scumm. Hopefully ScummVM (http://scummvm.sourcefourge.net) will be able to run Sam & Max eventually. Apparently it can run DOTT perfectly or near perfectly right now (um, minus the sound, that is :) ).
 The Dogfuchow
12-12-2001, 7:05 PM
heh

I said nothing about the post not belonging here, I just knew someone would do it, though...

it specifically said in the forum description that help would most likely not be given to the question. Who knows, either way, I'm still waiting for that tutorial, and I'll still be lazy then...

really though, if there is a way to get Sam and Max working with sound and music on WinME, that'd be so-weet
 Schmatz
12-12-2001, 7:37 PM
Sorry Gerbil,
This afternoon I was in a rampage mood, and had a buncha crappy posts. No offense in any way. I didn't think you were calling me an ******* anyways :D . But, the question used to come up a lot elsewhere, and most of the posters here are kinda sick of hearing it. I don't know, just my opinion. By the way, I gotta try your idea, cause I can't get my sound working heh.
 The Dogfuchow
12-12-2001, 7:40 PM
I actually love hearing it, one day I'll understand the solution....
 SyntheticGerbil
12-14-2001, 2:35 AM
I'm afraid your still ****ed with WinME, Fuchow.
 Jake
12-14-2001, 2:09 PM
The forum description merely asks you to weep, it doesn't ask you to not inquire about broken sound. :)
 The Dogfuchow
12-15-2001, 9:52 AM
No, I think I'd rather weep openly some more, since I have WinME and my music won't work. My sound's fine though.

hmmm, I dunno, Sean, Met's got the sound working (without music, though, which is balls....)... when I was configuring it on my windows 98 comp, at first only the music would work...

blah, if only I could remember how I did it on my old comp..

--yes!!!!! playing Sam and Max on my old comp
 Metallus
12-16-2001, 3:51 AM
Yeah, my MIDI is not working at all on my DOS games, Fuchow. Perhaps if I post the steps I took to get my audio working, the MIDI will work as well for most computers.
 benjoyce
12-20-2001, 9:00 AM
Not that I want to break this topic in half, but it is your 666th posts, Metallus ;)

I have WinME, and my Sam and Max, my MI1-2-3-4 is(are) working, also my DOTT.
 The Dogfuchow
12-23-2001, 12:22 PM
Yeah, my MIDI is not working at all on my DOS games, Fuchow. Perhaps if I post the steps I took to get my audio working, the MIDI will work as well for most computers.

amazingly preferrable..

I tested the Win 98 thing that Jake posted up, to see if it may work on WinME, the setmuse file worked and the configuring was fine, but when actually playing the game, it, as usual, said sound drivers were ****. Hmmm...
 Jake
12-23-2001, 3:03 PM
A reader of Metallus's site actually put it up, but I just linked to it! :)
 The Dogfuchow
12-23-2001, 11:18 PM
oh, I know, but I can't remember that guy's name for ****, and you posted it up, so hey hey
 SyntheticGerbil
12-24-2001, 2:20 AM
I'm wondering why that solution to the sound thing works... it's ****ing mind-boggling. Damn I hate Windows and their control freak like nature.
 The Dogfuchow
12-24-2001, 10:53 AM
dammit, I want my Sam an' Max sound to work...

damnable WinME.....
 JollyRoger
12-26-2001, 1:35 AM
benjoyce, how did you get it to work?

sound+winME=good
:D
 The Dogfuchow
12-26-2001, 11:18 AM
I agree
 benjoyce
01-05-2002, 5:55 AM
I certainly need a working DOS cuz I can't play some games like Quest for Glory 4 and stuff on ME.
And I just installed it normally as you would on any computer.
Page: 1 of 1