Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Nintendo GameCube

Page: 1 of 2
 JiveMonkey
12-10-2001, 4:43 PM
Does anyone out there own a Nintendo Gamecube? How about Rogue Leader? :monkey1: Great game!

Does anyone know of Lucasarts future plans for Nintendo games? I'd love to see some adventure games on any platform, especially after EMI did relatively well on the PS2.

Also, how do you upload custom avatars?

-Mike

"Eskimos and Cream Pies - The way life should be."
 Jake
12-10-2001, 4:49 PM
I like Rogue Leader but Smash Bros and Monkey Ball both beat it out for overall fun.

As for future GC games from LEC I guess we'll all have to wait for E3. Acronyms!

To upload a custom avatar (we really should have limited that ability to 25 posts too, doh!) you go to "user cp" in the little tabs at the top of the forum (short for User Control Panel, I guess), and click "user options" on that screen. At the bottom there will be a little "Custom Avatar" upload area.
 JiveMonkey
12-10-2001, 4:55 PM
But until E3 2002 in LA I guess we'll just have to enjoy SSBM and THPS3 on our GCN's...

Any hope of getting that Sam n Max game on XBox on GCN as well?
 MrManager
12-10-2001, 4:55 PM
I've never really been a fan of Nintendo's kiddie games, so the only game that really looks interesting to me on the Cube is Rogue Leader.
 JiveMonkey
12-10-2001, 5:03 PM
Oh don't give me that "Nintendo = Kiddie Games" cheese......:barf:
You love a game with a three-headed monkey and a 4 foot pirate with a fake hook. Love Nintendo because it makes great games, kiddie or not.

_Mike

"Eskimos and cream pies - The way life should be."
 MrManager
12-10-2001, 5:08 PM
Originally posted by JiveMonkey
Oh don't give me that "Nintendo = Kiddie Games" cheese......:barf:
You love a game with a three-headed monkey and a 4 foot pirate with a fake hook. Love Nintendo because it makes great games, kiddie or not.

_Mike

"Eskimos and cream pies - The way life should be."

How can stating a preference be wrong?
 JiveMonkey
12-10-2001, 5:12 PM
I'm just trying to end Nintendo prejudice maaaaaannnnnnn.....WORLD PEACE! :angel:
 MrManager
12-10-2001, 5:15 PM
I will give Nintendo credits for the Cube's hardware specs, but as I said, I don't really like any of their games. Give me Halo or Silent Hill 2 any day.
 Southsidespiffy
12-10-2001, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by remio

How can stating a preference be wrong?

I dunno he has a point.
 Metallus
12-10-2001, 5:21 PM
I put 'other'; my favorite console is, and always will be the Nintendo Entertainment System. I like all the new console games, but I don't really like the new consoles themselves.
 Lemon Head
12-10-2001, 5:24 PM
why isn't there a "none, i despise the console scurge" option?
 Southsidespiffy
12-10-2001, 5:26 PM
Originally posted by Metallus
I put 'other'; my favorite console is, and always will be the Nintendo Entertainment System. I like all the new console games, but I don't really like the new consoles themselves.

yeh it was great before the controller buttons kept multiplying.

the next console will have a big rectangular pad with like a key for every letter and the directions too.

er...
 JiveMonkey
12-10-2001, 5:33 PM
Oh come on....you can't NOT like the Gamecube controller -- UNLIKE M&M's, it melts in your hands not in your mouth....all would be divine if it wasn't for that blasted z-clicker-trigger, it feels like it came off the top of a lighter.
 Lemon Head
12-10-2001, 5:37 PM
i thought it was Skips, not M&Ms
 Squinkee
12-10-2001, 5:39 PM
Well, Nintendo hasn't exactly been known for making 'mature' games, so I can see where Remi's coming from. But Smash Bros and Monkey Ball kick the crap out of any other next-gen game I've played.
 JiveMonkey
12-10-2001, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by Lemon Head
i thought it was Skips, not M&Ms

c'mon lemon....we're not ALL british.....although deep inside we all want to be british.......pimps that is.
 JiveMonkey
12-10-2001, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Squinkee
Well, Nintendo hasn't exactly been known for making 'mature' games, so I can see where Remi's coming from. But Smash Bros and Monkey Ball kick the crap out of any other next-gen game I've played.

good monkey ball - crap connection there squinkee...any and all defication jokes are welcome
 Jake
12-10-2001, 6:06 PM
I think calling them "kiddie" is dumb. The most fun and generally best designed games for consoles come from Nintendo.

I guess you're saying, remi, that you'd play the games if they were darlky lit and had green smoke blowing around? Maybe if the characters in Smash Bros bled when they got hit hard it would make the game better?
 Lemon Head
12-10-2001, 6:11 PM
how many times a day do you change your av jake?
 MrManager
12-10-2001, 6:13 PM
Originally posted by Jake
I think calling them "kiddie" is dumb. The most fun and generally best designed games for consoles come from Nintendo.

I guess you're saying, remi, that you'd play the games if they were darlky lit and had green smoke blowing around? Maybe if the characters in Smash Bros bled when they got hit hard it would make the game better?

Geeze.

I'm really amazed how difficult it is for some people to face that not everybody agrees with them.

I will repeat, for those of you who have a problem understanding this (like Jake). I - personally - do not like cutesy games like the ones that Nintendo release. If you like them, Jake, then play them and enjoy them, but don't expect everybody to agree with you.
 Lemon Head
12-10-2001, 6:21 PM
ok, lets not have yet more brawling on this site, once is quite enough for one day, huh lads?
 Jake
12-10-2001, 6:37 PM
I don't think that they're all that cutesy really, though without ever playing the game you could think that. Well at least the ones that I'm talking about. They're more colorful than cutesy. "Hey You. Pikachu" and "Yoshi's Story" are examples of cutesy games and they're bad. They're simplistic, the artwork is dumbed down, and the gameplay is boring. Games like Smash Bros, Mario 64, Mario Kart, really Mario Anything (with a couple exceptions, like maybe Mario Party, though that isn't all *that* cutesy) have very saturated colors but they're not "cute."

Like someone else pointed out, MI 1 or DOTT or even Sam & Max could be called simple dumb or cutesy at quick glance and it would be a ridiculous thing to say. (I'm not saying Mario Kart is like DOTT or MI, it's not. It just has a colorful/cartoony look to it)

I don't particularly care what games you like or dont like or what visual styles or gameplay types you like or don't like, I just couldn't tell from what you said that you had actually played the games or just dismissed them as cute and kiddie and therefore not worth your time.
 Squinkee
12-10-2001, 6:39 PM
You gotta admit, it would be kind of cool if Smash Bros had blood in it.
 Jake
12-10-2001, 6:44 PM
Eh not really. I don't know. I don't really care either way as long as it didn't affect game play. I mean, blood wouldn't make it more fun to play would it? I guess maybe in the Quake gib sort of sense (like "w00t I exploded the !@#$ out of your corpse), but SSB pulls that off a ton of different ways without blood. The satisfaction of lobbing a bomb at someone and watching them fly off the screen in like .25 seconds with the huge blast is more than enough.
 Squinkee
12-10-2001, 6:48 PM
Yeah, it's probably enough that people can burst into flames. And it's kind of satisfying kicking around their corpse in Stamina mode.
 The Adventurer
12-11-2001, 9:57 AM
Super Smash Bros: Melee is the Shazbot! The Pinical of consol gaming perfection. There is no other above it. Nintendo is and always will be the king of consols. After Sony and Microsoft kick the bucket Nintendo will still be there makeing the best games ever.

Oh and who, like me, wants to see Super Smash Bros: RPG? I think that would be so cool.
 JollyRoger
12-11-2001, 3:28 PM
I do agree, that a lot of nintendo's games are kiddie, but it dosent change the actual gameplay, there still great.

nintendo's the best!

everybody else:monkey2: vs. :slsaber: :syoda: nintendo
 JiveMonkey
12-11-2001, 3:40 PM
So i'm guessing you own SSBM Jake? If I won't always be able to play multiplayer would the single-player mode still make it good enough to buy? I've heard they've improved it over the first but still dont' know if it would offer much replay unless there were a few friends to play it with. NOT that i'm a LOSER or anything....well maybe i'm just at a lack of friends right now....<sniff> <sniff>.....or maybe I AM A LOSER!:greedo:
.........NEVER!
 Haggis
12-11-2001, 3:41 PM
I totally agree with you. I love the childish Nintendo games... I own a Nintendo Entertainment System, Gameboy, and Nintendo 64. Maybe I should buy that GC when it comes out in Holland...
 Skyfox
12-13-2001, 12:20 PM
Have to agree with First Mate Remi on this one... I was put off the Gamecube from the start due to the number of cutsey games shown for it. In fact, I can think of only Res Evil and Rogue Leader that are not cutsey. Give me Silent Hill 2 over Luigi's Mansion anyday. Not saying Gamecube games are not good.. Cutsey doesn't mean it's a bad game, take it from a guy who had to play through Klanoa2 twice at work... it's cutsey, it's actually a good game... but I'd never play it if I wasn't paid to! For me.. it's Tekken over Smash Bros... Silent Hill 2 over Luigi's Mansion... and Lara over Mario. Just my opinion mind.. so no digs at the poor scouser ok? ;)

All the Best
~Skyfox
 Lemon Head
12-13-2001, 1:25 PM
Originally posted by Skyfox
... and Lara over Mario.
Personally, i'd have a drug-crazed Nazi over Lara, i can't stand those games, and the movie didn't do anything to abate that feeling, at least they've finally stopped making them (hopefully)
 Skyfox
12-13-2001, 2:17 PM
Originally posted by Lemon Head

Personally, i'd have a drug-crazed Nazi over Lara

That will be Wolfinstien you'd be wanting then! (Gamecube won't have that either from what I can see) All down to personal taste, I compared Lara and Mario as thier games are a little similar (jumping, exploring, limited puzzlesolving) only one is cutesy and the other more serious.

I think the PS2 Tomb Raider game is due one day.. oh I do hope I get to test it! hehehe. Just testing Metal Gear Solid 2 at the moment.. it's made me a fan.. although not of Japanese dialog.

All the Best
~Skyfox
 captain_drake
12-13-2001, 2:32 PM
two words rouge leader

and thats all
 Haggis
12-13-2001, 4:37 PM
Hey, cool avatar! Bowser, another fantastic Nintendo character.
 JiveMonkey
12-13-2001, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by captain_drake
two words rouge leader

and thats all

Ahhh the infamous Rouge Leader.......the cosmetic adventure in a galaxy far, far away.
 The Adventurer
12-14-2001, 1:04 AM
 Meksilon
12-14-2001, 4:09 AM
Originally posted by Skyfox That will be Wolfinstien you'd be wanting then! (Gamecube won't have that either from what I can see)

Wolfenstein-3D... who could forget that? It was available for the SNES you know, I LOVE my SNES (only the computer had Wolf-3D though).

=mek=
 Jake
12-14-2001, 2:19 PM
 Skyfox
12-14-2001, 2:27 PM
Nah, CMI is cartoony.. not cutesy and bubbley. Anyway, I'm not saying cute can't be fun.. just saying I'm not interested in a console where 99% of the games are like that. I know ya liek those games.. but you have to admit that most of the games are of that style.

All the Best
~Skybrush Threepweed
 Jake
12-14-2001, 2:32 PM
I suppose... I think the Gamecube is more well rounded than that, and will contine to balance itself out in the next couple months as more second and third party games come out. Even Metroid, a Nintendo title, is looking to be very non-kiddie. And smash bros is as cute or not cute as you want it to be.

http://www.gamecitizen.com/commun/largenews/2707b.jpg)
What game is that from?
 Jake
12-14-2001, 2:49 PM
Come to think of it... I should just be quiet. Heh. It doesn't matter its all personal preference, yes?
 The Adventurer
12-14-2001, 3:25 PM
Originally posted by Jake
I suppose... I think the Gamecube is more well rounded than that, and will contine to balance itself out in the next couple months as more second and third party games come out. Even Metroid, a Nintendo title, is looking to be very non-kiddie. And smash bros is as cute or not cute as you want it to be.

http://www.gamecitizen.com/commun/largenews/2707b.jpg)
What game is that from?

Ooooooh Kay this is gonna take some explaining. The guy in the picture is Named Marth. He is charicter from a serise of RPGs that Nintendo puts out in Japan (But not here in the States) called Fire Emblem. Marth is the Main charicter. How ever the screen shot you have there is From Super Smash Bros Melee. Marth is one of the Secret charicters (not to mention one of the cooler charicters) Being a Nintendo Property they can put him in.
 Jake
12-14-2001, 4:02 PM
Heh :) I know who Marth and Roy are. I was using that to point out that Smash Bros isn't all cutesy Ness/Yoshi/Pikachu.
 JiveMonkey
12-14-2001, 4:06 PM
If you thought that was easy, then what game is THIS from?
http://members.tripod.com/~MonkeyMike/raisins.jpg)
 Jake
12-14-2001, 4:11 PM
TRIPOD!
 JiveMonkey
12-14-2001, 4:17 PM
 Haggis
12-14-2001, 4:18 PM
Who are the California Raisins?
 edlib
12-15-2001, 7:56 AM
I already have the Gamecube, and Rogue Leader. So far I like it. It's the first game system I have bought since I got my Colecovision (which still works, by the way)
I bought it for two reasons:
1.- The aformentioned Rogue Leader
2.- Now that I have my own house, I have a lot more of my friends and family over to visit. Since most of them have kids under the age of 10, and I don't have any, I inevitably end up with a house full of bored kids who end up wanting to use my tweaked-out PC, or my A/V equipment, or get into my collection of vintage guitars and amps. I think you can see the problem...
I was thinking of getting a Dreamcast or a N64 before the GC was launched, just to give them something to do when they come over. When The GC was announced I decided to wait. When RL previewed, it made up my mind for me.
The other boxes may have better specs and more intense games, but I needed something that thier parents would actually let them play.
I may get one of the other systems just for myself sometime, but since I'm really not a super-hardcore gamer, I suspect that between the games for GC and my PC, I'll be happy.
 The Adventurer
12-15-2001, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by edlib
I already have the Gamecube, and Rogue Leader. So far I like it. It's the first game system I have bought since I got my Colecovision (which still works, by the way)
I bought it for two reasons:
1.- The aformentioned Rogue Leader
2.- Now that I have my own house, I have a lot more of my friends and family over to visit. Since most of them have kids under the age of 10, and I don't have any, I inevitably end up with a house full of bored kids who end up wanting to use my tweaked-out PC, or my A/V equipment, or get into my collection of vintage guitars and amps. I think you can see the problem...
I was thinking of getting a Dreamcast or a N64 before the GC was launched, just to give them something to do when they come over. When The GC was announced I decided to wait. When RL previewed, it made up my mind for me.
The other boxes may have better specs and more intense games, but I needed something that thier parents would actually let them play.
I may get one of the other systems just for myself sometime, but since I'm really not a super-hardcore gamer, I suspect that between the games for GC and my PC, I'll be happy.

Get Super Smash Bros: Melee. I swear you'll never have to woury about the kids geting into your stuff becasue they'll never leave the game. Not to mention the game rocks and you'll love it as much as the kids do. And the kids parents will approve becasue its for kids.
 edlib
12-16-2001, 12:04 AM
Hey, Thanks for the heads up! :D I appriciate it!
A friend I work with bought his son a GC for Christmas, and he told me that was THE game all the kids want.
I'll need a few more controllers too, but trust me, it'll be worth it.
Donkey Kong Racing looks interesting for the youngins too, and I kinda want Luigi's Mansion for myself.
Of course, I will buy any and all LA titles that come out for it. :D
Page: 1 of 2