Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Go Buy 'Max Payne' Now!

Page: 1 of 2
 ZeroXcape
07-25-2001, 8:55 PM
Not to get off the subject too much... but oh my. A 3DRealms game that I actually enjoy.

If you are into great Single Player action and you want to burn some time until JKII, get <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002SUOV/escapemonkeyisla">MAX) PAYNE</a>.

It's like you're playing the Matrix over and over.

I may write up a review for this game if I find some extra time...
 PreTZeL
07-25-2001, 8:56 PM
how much does it cost?
 Boba Rhett
07-25-2001, 9:07 PM
I can't wait to get it but unfortunately i'll have to wait until I get a new computer. :o
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-25-2001, 11:30 PM
I have the game. Will post detailed impressions late tonight or perhaps tomorrow.
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-26-2001, 2:57 AM
Um.. scratch that. Just so you you guys know...

Win2k + GeForce 3 = no max payne

//learned the hard way

**** like this makes me *not* want to support these companies (pay them my hard earned money) and get instead these games through other means. I shouldn't shell out $50 for a poorly tested game. How could they miss something like that in beta testing?

Anyway, the game kicks major boo-tay. Bullet time is one of the most innovative and incredible features I've ever seen in a game. I only got to play the first chapter because the second one won't load, so I'll delay my write up until next week.
 ZeroXcape
07-26-2001, 3:33 AM
Hopefully they'll come out w/a patch for that :\

I just played some more... Chapter 3 now.

I love how you can interact with the world in such detail. You walk in snow, it leaves a print. You touch an object, it responds.

I'll take some screens of me doing some funny things pretty soon ;)
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-26-2001, 4:13 AM
I played some more of the tutorial. I found a secret room that contains an Ingram... now that's some real fun. ;)

I have fun trying to recreate scenes from the Matrix. With the Ingram I killed three guys in one shootdodge. And another thing I liked doing was running at two guys, shootdodge right past them, turn so my back is toward the ground and so I'm facing them and cap their asses. I also enjoyed running at the van, jumping on it, and then shootdodgimng, flying over the guy, aiming down and putting some dual beretta bullets in his head. I also tried doing the same thing from three stories up (where the secret room is), but I died on the fall. :)

However, one feature that is sorely missing from the game is the ability to record demos/videos. Imagine the competitions they could have for the coolest sequence or set of moves.

Also, I hear that MaxEd isn't as simple as it was advertised to be. Oh well...
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-26-2001, 5:39 AM
Head shot (http://www.geocities.com/onlyonecanoli42/maxpayne1.gif)

I think you need to right click and save target as for that link to work...

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: OnlyOneCanoli ]
 GonkH8er
07-26-2001, 5:45 AM
mmmmmmmm ive decided i need a new system :)
 GonkH8er
07-26-2001, 11:03 AM
canoli- dual boot with 98.
 PreTZeL
07-26-2001, 12:15 PM
that pic is so elite...
its convinced me to buy the game!
 Chewie_Rips
07-26-2001, 7:19 PM
Is there a demo???? Let me know if there is, and were to find it.....cause I be-loading... :D
 CaptainRAVE
07-26-2001, 7:28 PM
Its not out yet. I reckon in about 3 days.
 CaptainRAVE
07-26-2001, 7:37 PM
Seein as you all like it so much, go here (http://www.avault.com/giveaways/maxpayne/) for a chance to win it...(US residents only unfortunatly, so thats me out).

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainRAVE ]
 matt--
07-26-2001, 7:52 PM
Thanks.
*crosses fingures*
 Wilhuf
07-26-2001, 8:03 PM
Multiplayer available in Max Payne?
 Mafia_Jabba
07-26-2001, 8:17 PM
No MP..but I have bought games where I didn't get MP..like Alice and Blue Shift and Opposing Force...so ya know
 PreTZeL
07-26-2001, 8:17 PM
yeah....i was just wondering why there isnt any MP
 CaptainRAVE
07-26-2001, 8:19 PM
There doesnt have to be MP in a game. Often they concentrate on the SP, and then add the MP in an add-on.
 Sherack Nhar
07-26-2001, 9:49 PM
Hey Canoli, here's something I found on the voodooextreme forums:

Guys,
Just wanted to let you know that we're aware of the problems.

It seems that with GF3 + Win2k + Athlon combination the game is exiting to desktop when loading a new map.

The game has been tested with different GF3/Athlon configs, and was developed mostly on Geforce+Win2k machines, so at the moment we are assuming that this is an issue with the user configuration (some drivers conflicting with each other or something).

As of yet, we haven't been able to re-create the problem at our office, so I can't give you any solid info. As soon as we get the game to crash here as well, we should be able to figure out how the problem can be fixed. In all probability a patch won't be needed.

Will keep you guys posted.

Here ya go... here's the link if you wanna read through the whole thread (not too long):
Max Payne problems - Remedy answers (http://www.veforums.com/Forum33/HTML/000031.html)
It looks like they have been able to recreate the problem, but they haven't figured out how to solve it. You probably won't need to patch the game though.

Here's another snippet from NVnews:
Guys, First thing. If you're running Max Payne under Windows 2000, please make sure that you have installed the Service Pack 2.

There is a known issue with Win2k and 3D applications that can be fixed with SP2.

Please install it, as it will cut down some of the reports were getting. This is to make sure that we won't be chasing after problems that we can't affect or fix.

I hope that helped :)

UPDATE: Looks like they nailed it. However, it's one of those damn compiler optimization problems (programmers will know what I'm talking about) so you'll have to download a patch, which will be released soon.
Anyway, here's the latest thread:
Max Payne v1.01 coming soon (http://www.veforums.com/Forum33/HTML/000062.html)

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Sherack Nhar ]
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-26-2001, 9:55 PM
Yeah, thanks for the news. I've been following the situtaion a VE and ArsTechnica.

And no, there is no multiplayer. Simply because there is no possible way of implementing bullet time in MP. I'm expecting some awesome sp mods however, and no doubt a Matrix TC. I have a crappy net connection, so no MP doesn't kill me.
 TheJackal_jk2
07-27-2001, 12:15 AM
I bought it today. I'm having problems around the subway level (bank). I have no health so I can last long enough.

Also, that little dot as the cross hair? too small IMHO
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-27-2001, 1:46 AM
I like the dot, more challenging. Auto aim... bah to that!

And that patch should be coming out soon.
 bsbuckeye21
07-27-2001, 2:40 AM
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE:
<STRONG>Its not out yet. I reckon in about 3 days.</STRONG>

Wha?! Your reckoning needs some calibration, bud. George Broussard posted on the VE forums that it'd be around August 15th.
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-27-2001, 5:28 AM
Right click on me and save target as to see a guy's head burning! (http://www.geocities.com/onlyonecanoli42/maxpayne2.gif)
 bsbuckeye21
07-27-2001, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by ZeroXcape:
<STRONG>Not to get off the subject too much... but oh my. A 3DRealms game that I actually enjoy.</STRONG>

Wha?! You didn't like Duke3D? How about Commander Keen or Wacky Wheels when they were formally known as Apogee? (And btw, Remedy developed the game. ;))
 bsbuckeye21
07-27-2001, 1:53 PM
The GF3/Win2k Max Payne bug has been squashed already!:
http://www.voodooextreme.com/comments.taf?postID=18456)

I'm sure Remedy's on everyone's good side. ;)
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-27-2001, 3:04 PM
Yes! Damn, good thing that came out about 20 minutes after I fell asleep... or I don't think I would've gone to bed.
 ZeroXcape
07-27-2001, 4:40 PM
As far as 3DRealms goes... I'm still waiting for Prey.

As far as Max Payne... Everything I think it has gotten as violent as it can get, it proves me wrong ;) I'm now in Part II and I must say... it gets weird REAL fast towards the end of Part I.

I keep forgetting to take some screens, but there was one that would have rocked if I hand and extra hand.

I was in bullet time falling backwards, down a flight of stairs, holding two Berrettas and I killed 3 people before I hit the ground. It would be a great scene for a trailer.

This game == The Matrix ;)
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-27-2001, 4:49 PM
How much do you want to bet there will be a few Matrix TC's? That will definitely extend this game's lifespan.
 CaptainRAVE
07-27-2001, 4:59 PM
Originally posted by bsbuckeye21:
<STRONG>

Wha?! Your reckoning needs some calibration, bud. George Broussard posted on the VE forums that it'd be around August 15th.</STRONG>

Well on the some of the warez sites we're expecting to be able to get hold of it in about 3 days.
 bsbuckeye21
07-27-2001, 5:50 PM
<STRONG>Well on the some of the warez sites we're expecting to be able to get hold of it in about 3 days.</STRONG>

No dice, theif. How 'bout doing the right thing and paying for it? If nothing else so that we don't have to pay any more for the game because of you. Remedy and 3DRealms deserve their money.
 CaptainRAVE
07-27-2001, 6:24 PM
I mean the demo....dunno if or when we'll be able to get the full version. I buy as many games as i can afford, but it aint my fault they charge so much.

Btw, i just found a new preview with 63 screens(a few new ones there i believe)...
here (http://www.gamespot.co.uk/stories/previews/0,2160,2092096,00.html)

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainRAVE ]
 matt--
07-27-2001, 7:08 PM
WOW! I gotta get this game!
 CaptainRAVE
07-27-2001, 7:39 PM
If you want or need to cheat (not that i do myself) here (http://www.avault.com/cheats/getcheat.asp?game=maxpaynecc) is an extensive and up-to-date list of them

Also if you have bug problems the latest patch is.....here (http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_temp.asp?patch=mpayne). Its 6.5Mb, not too bad i suppose.

The patch to version 1.01 addresses the following issues:
- Exit to desktop stability issues addressed:
The issues with the game crashing into Windows' desktop when loading a new map have been addressed.

- Game doesn't start with some CD-Rom drives:
A newer version of SafeDisc copy protection is used. If the game still doesn't start up, please contact support@talonsoft.com. Please include detailed hardware configuration information from your PC including CD-ROM model and operating system.

For other troubleshooting, please refer to the game readme.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainRAVE ]
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-27-2001, 10:21 PM
<STRONG>I buy as many games as i can afford, but it aint my fault they charge so much.</STRONG>

Actually, part of the reason prices are high is because developers have to compensate for piracy.
 acdcfanbill
07-28-2001, 12:07 AM
ya, but if no one stole... i would bet the prices wouldnt go down a lick...
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-28-2001, 12:22 AM
Yeah but the chances of that happening are slim to none.
 PreTZeL
07-28-2001, 1:51 AM
OMG!!!
i just installed the game...it is the best game ive ever played, i love this game!!!
which key is for screens? i wanna take some right away!!!
i love the shot-gun/sawed-off
i can blow through 3 people at once!!
my finger never leaves elite bullet-time mode!!!
OMG i hope JK2 is as good or better!
there is no need for MP...this is good enough, and violent too!
once again:what button is for screenshots?
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-28-2001, 2:55 AM
Print screen is the only way, but it only pastes one at a time to th clip board, so if you take a screen, you need to go to a graphics program right away to save it.

I'll be on vacation for the next 2 days... no MP for me.
 bsbuckeye21
07-28-2001, 3:12 AM
posted by someone at VE:

Add the -screenshot parameter to your shortcut. It should look like this.
C:\Program Files\Max Payne\MaxPayne.exe -screenhot

Use F10 to take a screenshot. They are stored in your Max Payne folder as a .tga file.

The parameter could be "screenshot" instead, but that's what was posted. Maybe Remedy just tried to throw everyone off? Anyone get it to work yet?

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: bsbuckeye21 ]
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-28-2001, 9:38 AM
AAh, thanks bucky. You sure seem to be into this game, for a person who doesn't have it. ;)
 PreTZeL
07-28-2001, 10:57 AM
thanks for the help, it works, i appreciate it :)
 CaptainRAVE
07-28-2001, 11:02 AM
Instead of adding additional parameters isnt it easier to press printScreen??
Here (http://www.3dactionplanet.com/maxpayne/) is one of the better max payne sites. Early days for the site, but still quite nice.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainRAVE ]
 PreTZeL
07-28-2001, 1:27 PM
 ZeroXcape
07-28-2001, 1:39 PM
I went through Part I pretty quickly, so I'm taking my time on Part II. This is easily one of the darkest / most violent games of the year.

Let's hope SOFII retains the SOF violence.. :)
 wardz
07-28-2001, 1:41 PM
they dont work

wardz
 matt--
07-28-2001, 7:33 PM
Pretzel-
Can't see your pics. :(
 acdcfanbill
07-28-2001, 7:53 PM
yes prez, what are you doing? OTHER stuff?!? tisk tisk...
 PreTZeL
07-28-2001, 9:36 PM
oh yeah...
forgot to tell you
use the "save target as..." thing
they never work otherwise *gay geocities*
Page: 1 of 2