Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

SWGalaxies

Page: 1 of 1
 matt--
07-14-2001, 9:19 PM
So...Star Wars Galaxies is coming out. MMORPG/fps, if you actally plan on being violent, like I am. What life are you going to take?

As for me, when the space expansion pack comes out, I hope to own a fleet of some significant size...What about you guys?
 PreTZeL
07-14-2001, 9:43 PM
if i get the game, IF IF IF
i want to be a smuggler, i have a guild (or whatever) lined up with my friend(s) IRL, but thats only IF....otherwise, you can find me whoring JK2 somewhere...heh
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-14-2001, 11:43 PM
I will be a criminal. Smuggler maybe. Pirate in the expansion would be great. Sounds awesome.
 DashRendar1
07-15-2001, 12:03 AM
Definitely a mercenary. I want my own ship (Correllian, preferably), cool gun(s), and slick duds. I hope you can use 2 guns at once! That would be the best!
 Boba Rhett
07-15-2001, 12:07 AM
You can be a jedi in it, right? If so, that's what I would be.
 PreTZeL
07-15-2001, 11:53 AM
they are being nazis, and limiting the amount of jedi allowed, because there isnt supposed to be that many in SW, so, if you want to be a jedi, you sign up for an account, and i guess they pull accounts at random to be jedi....if many people want to be mercenarys they might end up doing it for them too....oh well
 Aragorn
07-15-2001, 12:21 PM
Emmm, PreTZeL, maybe you should read the FAQ again... :rolleyes:
 PreTZeL
07-15-2001, 2:02 PM
why?
 Darth Simpson
07-15-2001, 2:19 PM
For freshing up on your Jedi knowledge. I think they said they won't do anything at random.

Judging from the comments from most players, I don't think we'll have any shortage of the smuggler/mercenary type player.
I'm thinking of going into law-enforcement because of this. Lotsa targets... ;)
 acdcfanbill
07-15-2001, 6:52 PM
ya, but if you have a lot of targets, then lots of people have only one target, you!! plus, nobody like pigs anyway, right?
 PreTZeL
07-15-2001, 11:06 PM
ok sorry,
but someone once told me they are limiting, how else could they do this?
i dont terribly like MMORPG's anyway...
 TheJackal_jk2
07-16-2001, 12:28 AM
I wont get that game. I personnaly do not like that type of game. I'm not even sure why? It's not that I don't have the patience for that genre, I play Adventure games!
 Jimi-Wan
07-16-2001, 3:29 AM
going back to the original post hya, im still trying to decide which life i would want to take. knowing me, ill make a character for each of these in my account (im still not sure what the whole deal is on #characters and #accounts, since this is going to be my 1st RPG and MMORPG for that matter)

Jedi- this is the #1 choice for me right now, because, obviously, ill be a Jedi. although i know they will be randomly selecting Jedi, in a way. you see, they are going to give a random account a certain "force potential". all of its explained in the FAQ, i think.

Shop owner/Craftsman- this is actually my #2 choice, because i always thought it would be cool to build droids and weapons, and all that techno mumbo-jumbo, so this is the closest i can come to that

Bounty Hunter or Mercenary- these are tied in #3, because, they are just about the same thing. ill most likely go with this one, since its going to be really hard to become a Jedi, and probly will be hard to become a master craftsman as well, we'll just see what happens.

PS- if you see Jimi-Wan Danobi (i know, lame name) in Galaxies, dont try anything, ill get mad and log off, HAHA!!! oh, wait....
 Jeff Walters
07-16-2001, 6:31 AM
SW: Galaxies..... mmmmmmmmlgsdfgdaslsgdsgqrwewwawgsgg (translation: I like)
 Letalis
07-16-2001, 6:38 AM
I'm gonna own a bar on Nar Shaddaa where I'll deal in information I hope. As well as have Sabac tournaments and stuff, but mainly provide info on where to find people and that sorta thing. I mean, with all these mercs about the place, someone's going to have to tell them where to find/get some action. :D
 PreTZeL
07-16-2001, 11:09 AM
yeah thanks jimi-wan,
i KNEW i had something...
 Aragorn
07-16-2001, 3:23 PM
In SWG the Jedi won't be randomly picked 'cause everybody would just create-delete his character until he gets a force sensitive one. To limit the Jedi the development team decided that it will be very difficult for a player to become a Jedi Knight or Sith.
 ZeroXcape
07-16-2001, 4:55 PM
Boba Rhett: you can be a human which can eventually lead you to become a jedi, but you just select "Jedi."
 Sherack Nhar
07-16-2001, 7:43 PM
I, for one, do not hope to be a hero in that game like many others do. I know that there will be a lot of people per server, so how could this be possible?. Therefore, I do not expect/want to be a Jedi, a fleet commander or a smuggler (too much of them).

Instead, I'll try to be imaginative. Since Naboo will be included in the game, I suppose that many people will organise "Gungan-killing night parties". Maybe I could try to protect the Gungans.

Maybe I will try to hire people in the Alliance. Through Politics, or simple Diplomacy skills. Mmh... Politics... Maybe I could try to help someone build a city. Be the mayor's assistant.

Or, if I'd want some more action, I could hunt Krayt Dragons in the Dune Sea! And when the space expansion will come out... oh, the possibilities! :eek:

You don't need to be a Jedi or a smuggler to enjoy this game. Let's be creative! Let us be hairdressers to shave Wookiees and Bothans! :D

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Sherack Nhar ]
 Jimi-Wan
07-16-2001, 11:15 PM
Your right Aragon, they are going to make it extremely hard to become a Jedi. But, i could have sworn that the team said that they would be doing that force-potential thing that i posted earlier. I thought they said that you wouldnt be able to see your force potential when you create a character, so thats how they would be limiting Jedi in the game. I may be wrong though.
 matt--
07-16-2001, 11:28 PM
I changed my mind. I'm going to produce droids. My droids will be built and programmed by...other droids that I built personally. After a while, when my line of droids becomes widely used(i can only hope), they will all "malfunction" and come back to me for orders. I'll be rich and have a vast army!
 matt--
07-17-2001, 12:25 AM
I just got an idea when I was reading the FAQ. Why don't all the JKII.NETers form a town?
 Chewie_Rips
07-17-2001, 12:43 AM
Like Jakal, i usually don't get too interested in games of this genre. Since its Star Wars, I will get envolved and pursue the life of a Jedi. Although the FAQ on the SWG web site stated that it will be difficult for players to become a jedi, everyone will have the opportunity, even casual or less hardcore gamers. I just hope its extreamly difficult, as the challenge alone will keep me interested. I can only hope it will be a risk and reward method, were you may invest allot of time, or accomplish allot in a short time, and still fail because you did something wrong....if so, I can re-start and pursue the life of a Wookie...he.he.he..he.
 DashRendar1
07-17-2001, 1:07 AM
Owning a place would be cool. I can have a sign that says "No blasters, 'cuz I'm the one who wants to do the shootin'" :D Of course, I would only shoot people who were disturbing the peace, or they forgot to pay. :D Yes, I'm evil.
 Aragorn
07-17-2001, 4:20 PM
Maybe you are right Jimi-Wan and there is an update about the game that I have missed.
The game is evolving fast and news come out every day so I can't be 100% sure but I believe later word has it that everyone will be able to become a jedi.
 Sherack Nhar
07-17-2001, 7:40 PM
If everyone will be able to become a jedi, casual and hardcore gamers alike, then I'm not even sure that I'll buy the game.

MMORPG stays around for a long time compared to other games. Take a look at Everquest: it's been like, two or three years since it's been released? And it's still as popular as ever. Now, if everyone can be a jedi in Galaxies, imagine how it will be 2-3 years down the road! Thousands of jedi per games, in an era when Emperor Palpatine sought the decimation of the Old Religion. Darth Vader himself won't be able to run after all of 'em!

If they absolutely want everyone to become a Jedi, then it must be REALLY long before becoming one (I'm thinking about 3-4 years). Plus, it must be hard, and when you FINALLY become one, you should be on any Bounty Hunter's list and have the Empire chasing you throughout the galaxy, because that's how it would be in the real Star Wars universe, IMHO.
 matt--
07-17-2001, 8:44 PM
This is a direct quote from www.starwarsgalaxies.com) (http://www.starwarsgalaxies.com) (the developer's digest)

What about Jedi? Tell us more! (posted December 4, 2000)

Raph Koster:

They will be very hard to become, and very very very rare. And we will continue to adjust the system to keep it that way.
 Jimi-Wan
07-17-2001, 9:08 PM
Matt-Windu, forming a JKII.NET'ers town is an awesome idea. We should definitely do it. If and when we do, what should we call our town? Which planet do you think that our town of kick-ace gamers should be on? And which faction do you want this town to be? I'm thinking neutral, just so we can accomodate all of our people. But, what do you think?

Ok, Sherack Nhar, you have very valid points, and i agree with you, except on the length of time it should take to become a Jedi. I think it should only take roughly 3 or 4 months, for an average gamer like me, who will play this game 4-6hrs a day. Otherwise, its far too long in my opinion. I mean, it should be hard to become one, but shouldnt be that long, unless your sent on a quest and you cant figure it out for the life of you. Now, your idea for a Jedi to be on the lists for bounty hunters, is an awesome idea, i love it.
 matt--
07-17-2001, 9:13 PM
Well...we'd have to decide not only on a planet...but on a server. I also suggest we put it in a safe area, so that in would be violence free...except for NPCs. Keep it neutral is a good idea.
 acdcfanbill
07-17-2001, 11:32 PM
i would love to be a nobody smuggler or mercenary. and im am really hoping that they will impliment a way to play sabbacc. cause i have been waiting to play sabbacc for years! that would be great, unless i lose my possitions, then it would, uhh suck.

...and does the fact that you will have to buy the game, and then have to pay monthly charges piss anyone else off other than me? the game and the concept look awersome!! but i dont wanna pay monthly charges if i only get to it onve a month, or not at all. if they would make it free i would be much more apt to buy it!! i prob will anyway though.
 matt--
07-17-2001, 11:41 PM
you do realize that there's a sabacc card game for windows, right?
 acdcfanbill
07-17-2001, 11:52 PM
can you play against others with it?

but i also like the fact that you will be able to win/lose your possitions, hopefully...
 Chewie_Rips
07-18-2001, 7:23 PM
"We are not “pre-determining” whether a character can become a Jedi or not. Also, being “hardcore” is not a qualifier used in becoming a Jedi. Our system is designed to allow the casual player, as well as the hardcore player, the opportunity to become a Jedi. 4.03 from Jedi and Light Sabers:"

That was a quote from FAQ on thier site.
Here is another:

"yes. Any character, regardless of species, has the potential to become a Jedi."4.05

Who knows????
 matt--
07-18-2001, 7:28 PM
in the developer's digest they noted that the jedi system would be modified constantly to ensure that jedi were extremely rare.
 Sherack Nhar
07-19-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by matt-windu:
<STRONG>in the developer's digest they noted that the jedi system would be modified constantly to ensure that jedi were extremely rare.</STRONG>

You mean even after the game is released? Excellent! As long as there aren't more than a hundred of Jedi per games, I'll be fine with the system.

acdcfanbill - I prefer to have to pay for a small monthly fee than to have to endure a Diablo II-style lag-fest because of the lack of server maintenance. :mad:
 matt--
07-19-2001, 6:12 PM
Yes. The system will be constantly modified to make Jedi rare.
 acdcfanbill
07-19-2001, 11:44 PM
if you pay small fees, im gonna be torqued when i gotta shell out the big bucks to buy the game too, maybe the price should be reduced ten bucks or something.

do ya think that there will be a 'free' beginning period?
 DashRendar1
07-20-2001, 1:53 AM
A JKII.net planet would be cool. We can have battles against people and all that good stuff. Battle of JKII.net, baby! Yea! Where do u get Sabacc for Windows?? I want it!
 matt--
07-20-2001, 1:54 AM
Not planet...town

I think www.blueharvest.net) (http://www.blueharvest.net) has Sabacc
 acdcfanbill
07-20-2001, 2:50 AM
sabacc is pretty cool, but i wonder why they have suits when you never use them, the only things that change are face cards. oh, well, just to make it interesting i guess.
Page: 1 of 1