Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The "Fun" of getting formated without your approval!

Page: 1 of 1
 TheJackal_jk2
06-13-2001, 9:59 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!!!!!!

Two days ago I brought my brand spankin new computer back to the shop because I had a problem with my CD burner. I told them very specificly what that problem was. Today I got it back... formated! :mad: They said they found other problems in the physical installation (video card, fan etc.) which I find to be very strange since THEY MADE IT 1 MONTH AGO!

Now I'm trying to cool down and get everything back (downloads) however there are thousands of things that will not be recoverable. Like all my MP3 and my "end of the year, big" final programming project. :mad:

I don't know if I am just venting but am I allowed to sue them for this?!

NOTE: all those on my ICQ... please message me.
 wardz
06-13-2001, 10:04 PM
sorry mate, I doubt it, There might be some disclaimer somewhere...

This should be in MEWH

wardz
 GonkH8er
06-13-2001, 10:15 PM
sue sue sue! :D
 TheJackal_jk2
06-13-2001, 10:23 PM
Oups. Sorry for posting here. I didn't see tha new forum since I had my PC in the shop.
 matt--
06-13-2001, 10:27 PM
Is it someplace professional, or a couple of guys in their garage? If it's a couple of guys, I doubt they have a disclaimer...sue. Otherwise, complain. To the manager more specifically. You could at least get these jackasses fired. :)
 digl
06-14-2001, 12:49 AM
What a bunch of *******s
 Mafia_Jabba
06-14-2001, 12:50 AM
I remember these punks that I got to install my soundblaster took my CD's that came w/ the package. They took my installation CD and my programs CD. And you guys that have a soundblaster MP3 5.1 can feel with me that those CD's come with some schiznit programs for audio recording and junk.
 TheJackal_jk2
06-14-2001, 5:47 PM
Which reminds me. STAFF OF JK2.NET!

E-mail me or ICQ me. (since I cant do that to you (lost my whole lists). IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Thanks,
 CaptainRAVE
06-14-2001, 6:04 PM
You cant sue as there was probably a disclamer.
 bsbuckeye21
06-14-2001, 8:21 PM
:eek:

What a bunch of cheap-ass morons! Like there wasn't a spare HD to back your priceless info on?! Oh man would I snap!

(And I've never really snapped, either. ;))
 CaptainRAVE
06-14-2001, 8:24 PM
Yeah, id freak to. It must be so annoying! Sorry man! Why format your HD anyway when you can just get a magnet to wipe it out. Worked for me, but i wasnt actually trying to wipe my HD. Actually, it corrupted it all to.....no, on second thoughts, dont try it!!!!

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainRAVE ]
 matt--
06-14-2001, 8:24 PM
They should have warned you they might have to reformat. That way you could back-up your data.
 TheJackal_jk2
06-15-2001, 12:41 AM
I check everything.

As soon as my exams are done. I'm going over there and do my best to get someone fired :D

When a computer store requires to format a hard drive they MUST notify the owner and make a backup. THERE SHOULD BE NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!

like look at it this way: if some CEO of PC enterprise needs it to be fixed and finds out it has been deleted...LAW SUIT!

Plus the ONLY thing I signed with that store is: the facture. That's it.
 GonkH8er
06-15-2001, 4:18 AM
just march over there and get one of your friends to dress up in a suit and tie, with a briefcase.... tell em you want to be compensated.... and that you lost VERY important files.

say you have $70,000 in the bank ready to pay legal fees and ask them how far they want to take it.....
 Boba Rhett
06-15-2001, 8:23 AM
Ah yes, the art of the bluff. It will serve you well. If used correctly. Remember, they have no clue what the hell you had on it so make everything you had on it at least sound like it was important to you.

And never tell them how much money you have to throw around but rather say that you have enough to fight this for as long as it takes. ;)

I don't know if taking someone in there dressed as a lawyer will work out very good for you. :D That may scare them a bit to much.
 CaptainRAVE
06-15-2001, 5:50 PM
Why dont you just go over and talk to them cooly and carmly....you may get more out of them than if you just freak. You'll be surprised how much more you'll get out of a person if you are understanding and polite. Just explain yourself.
Page: 1 of 1