Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rune Co-op Mod Available

Page: 1 of 1
 Vagabond
06-13-2001, 6:21 PM
Anyone that has Rune should download the Rune co-op mod from <a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?3dactionplanet/rune/runeco-op.rmod">here</a>).

Wilhuf and I played this last night (6/12/2001) with a dude from Vilnius (where all the villains come from - j/k), and it was a blast. We started at the beginning of the singleplayer missions and made significant progress through several maps before we called it quits. We're going to continue on until we get through the end of the game. It's really fun to team up with your buds, kicking the crap out of the computer. I highly recommend it :cool:
 Wilhuf
06-13-2001, 6:56 PM
Yep yep definitely a cool mod. Best thing that has happened to Rune, IMO. A lot of fun. And you can meet real, computer-literate Vikings (hey, that guy was from Estonia, not Lithuania!). (Don't blame me, I'm a Geographer.) Very fun to play single player campaign in multiplayer.

I asked in the Rune forums about that Luau bug where everyone walks slanted as if they were at a luau. Also asked about the dissapearing sword problem. Both are known issues. Neither is a show stopper. The dissapearing Viking sword is solved by relogin.

Oh and don't ever throw your Viking Sword. Otherwise you'll have to relogin again. You can throw the other weapons if you wish, then pick them up. If you die, the weapons you threw will still be sitting where you threw them. A quick way to rearm yourself if youdie.

Luau is solved by jumping back into the water and out again, rinse and repeat.
 Vagabond
06-13-2001, 7:09 PM
Aaaa! My fault. I thought he said he was from Lithuania. I just like saying Vilnius.

Vilnius, Vilnius, Vilnius.

I am the Villain of Vilnius! Has a nice cachй to it ;)

Get co-op! It does a body good.
 Sherack Nhar
06-13-2001, 10:42 PM
I downloaded the Rune demo this weekend, and I must say I'm pretty dissapointed. While I can't comment on the shipped game, the demo's level design was boring. Annoying jump puzzles, etc. And the combat system is fun for a while, but it gets old really fast.

All in all, I had no fun playing at all. :(
 Vagabond
06-13-2001, 11:00 PM
To be honest, the multiplayer part of Rune is really the best part. The singleplayer part didn't really hold my interest that long either, but with the co-op mode it's really fun.

Again, though, the multiplayer part kicks bootay. Especially if you get Halls of Valhalla. Since you don't own any of these yet, if you're thinking of making the plunge, I'd recommend the Gold or Collector's Edition of Rune (whatever they're going to call it). It comes with the full game, plus the add-on, and they're even going to be nice enough to throw in the co-op mode.

Anyway, I hope you give the game a chance, because it's really fun when played online, at least in my opinion.
 Krayt Tion
06-14-2001, 12:18 AM
I have not played this game in forever. What did the expansion bring to it?

You guys ever get around to trying Blade of Darkness?
 digl
06-14-2001, 12:34 AM
Damn I still havent got cable and with my current connection I cant play Rune MP
Ill download it anyway to be ready when cable comes
 Vagabond
06-14-2001, 12:56 AM
Krayt, I haven't tried BoD.

Regarding Halls of Valhalla, it brought a couple great multiplayer game modes - in fact it's totally multiplayer - no SP. It includes all the original MP maps, plus a Head Ball game mode and an Arena Match game mode.

Head Ball is like Rune's version of basketball. You cut off heads and limbs and toss them into goals to score points. It's really pretty fun.

Arena Match is best when played in team mode, 2 -vs- 2. The victors of a match are healed and the next two people in the queue are transported to the arena. Those in line can watch the match and re-arm themselves. Often the maps have fun little activities for the people to engage in while they wait, like play instruments and torture little animals :)

Best of all, the expansion is only $20. It's a bargain if you're mainly interested in MP.

The coop mod likely requires the full game though.

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Vagabond ]
 Aragorn
06-14-2001, 1:09 AM
Wanna hear something funny?
I'm downloading this add on for THREE days now(with FlashGet) with my 56k modem... :mad:
 Wilhuf
06-14-2001, 12:57 PM
The Rune coop devteam should have at least zip compressed the .rmod. They could have cut the filesize by about 60% or so and shaved off a day or two for the modem guys.

I think Rune Coop is worth the download though.
 Aragorn
06-14-2001, 2:38 PM
Finally got it!
Now to set up my LAN...
 Krayt Tion
06-14-2001, 11:44 PM
The coop mod likely requires the full game though.

Hmm, I do have the full version, I played it with you guys remember? ;) Unless you weren't talking to me.
 Vagabond
06-15-2001, 12:27 AM
LOL! Yes, I do remember playing Rune with you. Sometimes when I'm writing though, I kind of go off into this zone where I'm trying to be sooo accurate and report all the necessary information that I sort of forget who I'm replying to :)

If you get the co-op mod, you should play it with Wilhuf and I. It'd be cool.
 digl
06-15-2001, 1:57 AM
Wanna hear something funny?
I'm downloading this add on for THREE days now(with FlashGet) with my 56k modem...
I understand you :(
 Krayt Tion
06-16-2001, 12:49 AM
I'm actually looking into downloading this tonight. I might be able to play a bit on my borrowed dsl connection.
 Wilhuf
08-27-2001, 6:03 PM
Dark of the Rune Coop team says a patch for Rune Coop is imminent (http://www.runegame.com/vbf/showthread.php?threadid=14965). The patch reduces the volume of enemy AI (reducing bandwidth strain, number of enemy models onscreen and hopefully lag), but ramps up enemy AI strength. The patch will also add half-way teleporters to help keep the expedition together. Hopefully the patch will be available today or tomorrow.
 Wilhuf
08-30-2001, 7:22 PM
The Coop patch (http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?file=64159) is now available.
 Vagabond
09-02-2001, 9:15 PM
Rock-on. We might have to give this bad boy a test drive :cool:
 Wilhuf
12-27-2001, 11:00 AM
Saw on Runegame (http://www.runegame.com) that the Rune Coop team have released a substantial update/upgrade to their Rune Coop mod (http://www.runegame.com/downloads.php?loc=mods). Lag-smashing map redos, subdivision of larger maps, bolstering of enemy ai, lag-blasting reduction in enemies, midway save portals to reduce frustration of having to re-trek through entire maps, new AI enemies, such as the skeleton warrior, and numerous bug fixes.

Sounds like they've put in a huge amount of work to polish their mod (http://www.runegame.com/downloads.php?loc=mods).
 Vagabond
12-27-2001, 12:51 PM
Well, you know what this means? We're going to have to brandish our broadswords, and spill some monster guts. My calendar's open. How about you :cool:

We shall reign victorious. As you're so fond of saying...

Evacuate? In out moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!

Of course, it will be difficult to squeeze this into our busy schedule of Galactic Battlegrounds and AvP2 ;)
 Wilhuf
12-27-2001, 1:05 PM
I should be able to free something up. *tapping PDA*

Yes... between Bug Hunting and Galacitc Domination. I'll have to reschedule the tank duels. But for my esteemed colleague the schedule must remain flexible!
Page: 1 of 1