Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Clans and Rivalry

Page: 1 of 1
 TheDarkAngel
11-20-2001, 9:43 AM
So Jedi Knight 2 is being made, and for most of us the Old School Jedi Knight player we cannot wait till it arrives to start training with mates early to become the best this time around. I guess most of you have seen the "Super clan" post below this and there were mixed feelings. Super clans dont work. In Counter-Strike for example, a super clan goes up and comes down every week in Australia alone because there is always someone who think they can do better.
In the grand old days, we had clans in JK of friends, not like todays clan of pick top ppl and see if they'll work. Having friends that you enjoy gaming with is far better then any super clan any day for each member.
There's also the LAN party. Its becomming a bigger craze each weekend with 200 people heading to a hall to play in a comp of the game they play. Now you all know Quake 3 did very well in this, especially with all the Spectator features and abilities it had, so you can guess that Jedi Outcast will be the same. You have to wonder, will getting a clan together of people within your area be better in the long run? They'll be able to hit these events, and most often the cash prize that comes with it. My little brother has already won over $1000 in Counter-Strike with his team, i'm sure you all wouldn't mind having some extra cash like that.
With LAN's and online gaming comminuty also, there is becomming a large rivalry against games. CS and Quake 3 players wouldn't be caught dead sitting with one another at any event, so rather then sit and moan about why i want that guy in my team even though he's half a world away, but showing the other games where they can stick it. Jedi Knighters are the badass's online, we showed it once, lets show it again!
 Philbo
11-20-2001, 7:26 PM
Yeah, I've noticed many things like that. Superclans never last the way they should. Clans ought to be based on friendship and trust, not how good someone really is.

I'll never understand.

And by the way, nice sig and congrats on being Member Numero 700.
 Ben_Walker
11-20-2001, 9:28 PM
Yeah, it should be of friendship, that I agree on.
 haazt
11-24-2001, 12:41 AM
hehe in SWG they tried to establish the League of PA's, a superclan basically, but most of the clans have fallen apart now
more fun with friends
nothing like hanging out with ya mates and blasting some stormys!
 DeathBoLT
11-28-2001, 4:18 AM
i suspect this is true with amany of us not quite old school but two year+ JK veterans, is that we see the glory days of JK in the old clan websites, the old CWT trophies, and stories of actual 1997 - early 1998 old school JK players, and we feel like we missed out on something, desiring to recapture some of that glory, and we go for 'superclans' designed to put us on top, so we can experience in jk2 what we imagine 1997-1998 JK players experienced in jk1..

i'd guess players starting out mid-2000 and even earlier must be experiencing an even greater sense of loss, sense they really caught JK at its worst...

im guessing, that we're going to find out that 1997-1998-type experience wasn't all that we, now, tend to glorify it as... this is the sort of reasoning i applied when i made the descision to distance myself from superclans like WD was trying to put together(ignoring the fact that it wasn't simply going to work due to long-time rivalaries between potential member clans and negative opinions of older players from the past)...

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: DeathBoLT ]
 DeathBoLT
11-28-2001, 4:30 AM
a tight knit group of friends[1] that are on average the same skill level[2] is the best and most stable sort of clan..

1. close friends will bond the clan and prevent petty arguments, etc. from breaking apart the clan.

2. each member will stay as long as that member feels that he/shes not carrying the clan on his shoulders in clan battles, ladder matches, etc.
 DeathBoLT
11-28-2001, 4:33 AM
thats my experience at least, as far as clans go..

just look at IRN, DH(inactive), JaG, DSbr(to some degree), ETI, WD(to some degree), DJ, and HDK(to some degree), and several others for proof of this combination

sorry for multiple posts on the same subject; didn't feel like editing hehe
 ReAcToR
11-28-2001, 7:43 PM
You've summed up how I feel about the clan scene DeathBolt. I started playing JK back in late 98 and things have really changed. I can remember a day when it was actually somewhat rare to have hackers joining your games. I never did join any of the clans that contained the top playes. They usually had horrible reputations, because skills were valued more than personality/friendship. I've been in my clan since 1998(although we changed the name a few times) and have made some great friends along the way. At one time, there were about 8 or more members of my clan that knew eachother in real life. Today there are only 3 but it's enough to keep a good base going. We only recruit people that respect us and that we respect and we have no need for rules. We're all friends and are basically our own little community. I go weeks at a time without playing anyone outside of my clan. We have CTF scimmages amongst ourselves etc. The members of my clan had a good relationship with ETI and I like to think of our clan as being alot like them; mature, skilled and fun to be around. I hope ETI plays JKII, they are missed. They were by far the most mature/nice JK players ever.
 haazt
11-28-2001, 10:56 PM
unfortunatly i caught the end of i Caught the End of JK, less players on line, one thjing i find that there are a lot of tension there, a lot of people who wont play you because you may not be the best person online, however there are still good people there,
 DeathBoLT
11-30-2001, 12:11 AM
well in 1vs1s nf sabers, i never had a real problem with blatant hackers.. it was always the sneaky ones who used hacking to gain the upperhand...

of course, any ffa nf or ff non-guns game, you're almost gaurenteed to see a game disrutping hacker enter.
 thrEEpaGe
11-30-2001, 12:31 PM
dedicated servers will solve this...this is why i dont want zone sponsored games
 NuForce
12-01-2001, 9:46 PM
Rather than start another new topic I'll just plant a repy here.

Looks like there will be a big interest in playing the multiplayer version of JediKnight II.

I am currently the member of a StarWars based clan call The Empire. We started this clan in StarTrek EliteForce. This game is similar to the new JediKnight II game in that it is also based on the Quake III engine.

I strongly suggest that if you have not played on a Quake III based game or a first person shooter like Unreal Tournament then you may want to start playing now. It will be very discouraging for you if you don't.

If you are interested in join a clan or starting one please checkout our website at www.theempireclan.com) (http://www.theempireclan.com) We also have a forum if you have questions about our clan or anything game related.

"Beware of my DarkSide"
[TE]NuForce
 [TE]DarthBob
12-02-2001, 9:11 PM
Hey Nuforce!

I also recommend that folks download the demo version of Elite Force Holomatch to get up to speed quickly. Here's a link I think still works: http://www.3dgamers.com/games/stveliteforce/) Just dl the 30 mb holomatch demo. No need to dl the 100 mb single player version.

The Empire is always intereted in helping new players get started. If you're interested, we have an Empire Training site setup in our forum you can find at www.theempireclan.com). (http://www.theempireclan.com.) Just post a message in The Empire Trainees signup section.
Page: 1 of 1