Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why are we doing this???

Page: 1 of 1
 Obi Kwan
06-24-2001, 2:04 PM
Anyone care to explain the major butt kissing this site is doing to Raven? I know its their birthday and all, but come on! Their own site isn't as worked up over it! Do we need to be so blatent in showing that we want Raven to give us an inside track on the game???
 Syndrix
06-24-2001, 2:19 PM
Wow thats quite harsh. Firstly I think its good that we get behind Raven. I have been a fan of their work long before it was announced they would be doing JK2. Secondly, I hardly think that JK2.net is after the "inside track" as you say, they are just tipping there hat to a great software company. Thirdly this should be in Threed Hanger as it has nothing to do with JK2 the game. Fourthly, of course their site isnt going to make a big deal because they are profesionals and they want look exactly that, professional and confident.

Lighten up!
 ZeroXcape
06-24-2001, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by Obi Kwan:
<STRONG>Anyone care to explain the major butt kissing this site is doing to Raven? I know its their birthday and all, but come on! Their own site isn't as worked up over it! Do we need to be so blatent in showing that we want Raven to give us an inside track on the game???</STRONG>

I'm going to try and keep this post to a minimum and just address your points.

As for the "major butt kissing," that is honestly flattering. We had no intention to do anything more then what we usually do. If you haven't been following our network, we frequently release p/reviews, interviews, and columns regarding the games we cover. The fact that you think we kicked it up a notch is a major compliment to our entire staff.

As for "own site isn't as worked up over it," of course silly. Do you host Birthday parties for yourself? Of course not; there's no fun in that. If you missed Kenn's recent <a href="http://www.webdog.org/plans/173/">.plan) update</a>, you'll see that he was the one who brought it up.

Finally, "Do we need to be so blatent in showing that we want Raven to give us an inside track on the game???" How would "major butt kissing" towards Raven help us in anyway? Anyone who knows LucasArts understands that a developer can't give out information about their games until it is approved by LucasArts directly (Hey Tom!) If we wanted any sort of inside track, we would be bowing before LucasArts.

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: ZeroXcape ]
 Obi Kwan
06-24-2001, 2:46 PM
Reading back on my initial post, i do realize that I was a bit harsh in my statements, though I still dont quite understand the big to do over the sort of unquestioning devotion to this one company which is exhibited by many posts on these forums and is shown by this "raven day". Even these words sound harsh, and I am sure that Raven is an excellent company, hearing from the reactions to their previous works. STILL, do we need to have a parade and hold them up on high?
 Syndrix
06-24-2001, 3:05 PM
Originally posted by ZeroXcape

Do you through Birthday parties for yourself?

I know I dont, But then again I dont "throw" birthday parties for myself either.
 ZeroXcape
06-24-2001, 4:29 PM
Syndrix: I was late for lunch, hence the carelessness. Fixed :)

Obi Kwan: We aren't initiating a long lasting "parade" or holding "them up on high." This is a one-day event; sorry it has caused so much trouble for you. We don't expect to hold people who haven't heard of Raven or played any of their games to the same standards of those who have.
 matt--
06-24-2001, 4:49 PM
Well, why do we do anything? Why are we here? Why aren't we outside right now? Why do you care? Why did I do this post?<div style="position:relative;left:-100;top:0"> http://jediknightii.net/buttons/Matt-Windu02.jpg) </div>

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: matt-windu ]
 CaptainRAVE
06-24-2001, 4:56 PM
Well theres nothing else to do. And anyway, its good fun for the JK2 community. At the moment there isnt much for us to discuss, so we have to do things like this to keep everyone entertained :D . Shouldnt this be in the Theed hanger seeing as its not related to JK2.

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainRAVE ]
 Bartolo_JCS
06-24-2001, 7:05 PM
cool raven day banner btw
 Kurgan
06-24-2001, 7:10 PM
I think we're all just so excited about JK2, and about this new "openness" with the developer of a major Star Wars FPS game (one we've been waiting over three years to get) that this is entirely called for.

Hey, if they deliver like we all hope they will, we'll throw them an even bigger party.
; )

Kurgan
 wardz
06-24-2001, 7:14 PM
A bit of creeping never did anyone any harm did it?

Hey Kurgan, its nice to see you again after this extended absence! How was your break? You should tell us all about it... :D

j/k

wardz
 Kurgan
06-24-2001, 7:43 PM
It was pretty good, it only rained three days out of the fourteen we were out there.

My father and I backpacked 150 miles of the AT (Appalachian Trail) in North Carolina and Tennessee (heading north).

When it did rain, it was solid, horizontal rain (with some hail, which we missed thankfully, though this German guy we met got hit with it) one day, with lots of fog so you couldn't see more than 20 feet. The other days weren't so bad because we had tree cover, though our boots (supposedly waterproof) got totally sogged, along with everything else.

I did have to stop on our day off and buy a new pair of hiking boots though, since my other pair were totally falling apart (served me faithfully for the last seven years or so before they gave out).

No bear attacks, no major accidents, and we meet some nice people on the way (though our first shuttle driver overcharged us).

I'm pretty much healed up from the ordeal (blisters, bug-bites, sore muscles).
; )

If you like the outdoors, I strongly urge you to try it, it's great fun. If we could take off just six months from school/work we could finish up the trail (2,180 miles aprox. from Georgia to Maine, though there's discussion about adding another 500+ miles up in Canada).

There's nothing like a trip out into the wilderness to make you appreciate the pampering we do in our "modern western civilization" here in the states.

Water that doesn't taste like Iodine, getting a shower every day that doesn't come from the sky... etc. ; )

Kurgan

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]
 SithSeeD
06-24-2001, 7:52 PM
How are we butt kissing ? We don't need an inside track on the game, mainly because they "Can't" give anything to us without LEC's explicit permission. We had a bunch of info on Raven ie . Interview, SOF 2 Preview, and it just happened to coincide with Raven's 11th birthday... so why shouldn't we celebrate.

P.S.

Kilometers Kurgan... if you go into Canada it's KM's not miles hehe. 500 miles is like... 750 km's

SithSeeD :mad:
 wardz
06-24-2001, 7:55 PM
Thats the one Bill Bryson did! That book is great, from what he said its very very tough, not only on the body, but it tests your mental ability as well,

good that your back guv, the posts have been a little...short in your absence. ;)

Now you can vote for me in the theed hangar contest naming thingy. :)

wardz
 Mafia_Jabba
06-24-2001, 10:25 PM
I liked the whole raven day thing..great job guys!
Page: 1 of 1