Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cutscenes

Page: 1 of 1
 Zorro
06-24-2001, 2:49 AM
Will JKII have cutscenes similar to MOTS or will it feature real actors such as in JKI.

Personally I would hope for real actors although the acting in JKI was pretty foul considering you could see Jerec's eyeballs through his blindfold- or whatever it was called.

But anyhow, I think if they do it right they could make the cutscenes entertaining.
 Mafia_Jabba
06-24-2001, 2:57 AM
Either real or pre rendered..none of that in game crud
 skyler
06-24-2001, 3:08 AM
i myself would prefer in game cut scenes like in Half-Life - it made the game much more immersive
 Mafia_Jabba
06-24-2001, 3:18 AM
Im not talkin about half life style..im talkin about MOTS...it wasn't as cool as JK..not nearly
 CaptainRAVE
06-24-2001, 8:03 AM
Your gonna need one hell of a computer to play the movies. I remember elite force on my friends P2 300 machine. Even on lowest quality they were still really jumpy.
 Kurgan
06-24-2001, 7:28 PM
Let the confusion begin!

MotS and JK both made use of pre-rendered and in-game cutscenes.

The "in-game" or more properly "game engine" cutscenes were like the scripted events and camera pans you saw that you couldn't control. Indy Infernal had those too, etc.

The pre-rendered stuff were like the ones in MotS (which were BASED on game engine stuff, but pre-recorded and played off of the CD), and the FMV/CGI cutscenes in JK.

The Quake3 engine can do both. The games I've seen though, using the pre-rendered ones didn't look too good (Quake3, Alice), because the cutscenes were really grainy and the color was pretty washed out looking (although the game itself was in lucious 32bit color and high res, with a high framerate). Of course JK2 will have in-game cutscenes, at least if I remember correctly, according to Raven, which is fine by me, although I miss the "mini-movie" style of JK.

Still I can see that the time and money involved in making cutscenes of that magnitude is probably something not many developers are willing to undertake, considering people will probably just watch them once or twice (although I will admit my first roommate and I were so impressed with them initially, we made popcorn and watched them like a movie, hehe). ; )

Kurgan
 Mafia_Jabba
06-24-2001, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the clarification
Page: 1 of 1